X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah clean fuel vehcile tax credits - how to get them

The following information is outdated.
    Please click here for the official guidance from the State of Utah as to obtaining these credits

Always check with your tax adviser
    before making any significant decisions based on tax incentives!

Not all CNG vehicles brought into Utah are eligible for the maximum $2,500 tax credit.

Outdated section follows:
    -------------------------------------------------------

Utah income tax law provides for a credits on CNG, propane, or electric vehicles of:
    a)
    Fifty percent (50%) of the incremental cost of a new OEM vehicle minus any grant received, up to a maximum credit of $3,000 per vehicle registered in Utah, also

b) Fifty percent (50%) of the cost of equipment for conversion minus any grant received, up to a maximum credit of $2,500 per vehicle registered in Utah.

The vehicle must also meet the clean fuel vehicle standards of the Clean Air Act. Utah taxpayers may claim a nonrefundable credit on their individual income tax, corporate franchise tax or fiduciary tax returns for the purchase or conversion of vehicles that use cleaner burning fuels. If the credit claimed exceeds the tax liability for a taxable year, the credit that exceeds the liability may be carried forward for up to five taxable years.

Official state web site is here.
    FAQ's are here.

Now, just how much of a credit should you put down on the income tax return?

Well, it depends on what it cost to get the vehicle to run on the alternative fuel.

For a conversion this is rather straightforward, since the cost of the equipment installed can be quantified by the shop that did your work. You generally should have no trouble spending $5,000 in tanks, high-pressure lines, etc. to max out at the $2,500 credit here. Note that for the Utah credit bi-fuel conversions are acceptable (the Federal credit must be dedicated CNG only). Also, you must have installed an EPA certified conversion and submit a copy of the EPA certificate of conformity to get your TC-40V stamped at the Division of Air Quality.

For an off-the-assembly-line vehicle, you need to make a reasonable assumption as to the "incremental cost" for the alternative fueling system was at the time the vehicle was manufactured. The Utah Dept. of Environmental Quality has suggested to some CNG vehicle owners that they use resources such as the following web site to determine this figure:

(I have attached to this discussion post a PDF printout of the web page in case the web link ever goes away)

Examples:
    CNG Crown Victoria's incremental cost in 2001 was $2,830, tax credit = $1,415
    Bi-fuel Cavalier's incremental cost
    in 2001 was $5,406, tax credit = $2,703
    Honda Civic GX's incremental cost in 2001 was $7,910, tax credit = $3,000 (max),
    ... however in 1998 the Civic's incremental cost was $4,500 for a tax credit of $2,250 (see post #9 below)

Our member lmlewis also posted this very useful bit of info for GM vehicle owners:

If you need to document your OEM or incremental costs for tax purposes try the GM Media Archive & Vehicle Invoice Collection. Stacy Lillard at "vehicleinvoice@gmmediaarchive.com" or (734) 462-5543 # 163 who can supply it for you. It costs $50.00.

Step 1: Ensure the vehicle has not already taken the credit in Utah.

If you are purchasing a CNG vehicle from out of state you are probably going to be fine. However, it never hurts to check before you buy. The Division of Air Quality maintains a database of VIN numbers which have taken the credit so you can check with them by either phone, fax, or e-mail. I have found they turn around requests within 2 or 3 working days.

Contact info is here:
    http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/prog...gi?afdc/4758/0

Step 2: Get the vehicle registered in Utah.
    This means safety & emissions inspection (all fuel types if you have a bi-fuel vehicle), state sales/use tax payment, etc. The usual DMV root canal procedure

Step 3: Get certification from the Division of Air Quality.
    Print out tax form TC-40V here (note that one form is required for each vehicle if you are like me and have multiple CNG vehicles):
    http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-40v.pdf

... then take all the required documents as found here:
    http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/c...7/r307-121.htm

... and get your DEQ stamp of approval.

Step 4: File your income taxes
    Do not include form TC-40V -- this belongs in a safe place in case you get audited (and rumor has it the Tax Commission loves to audit these types of credits!!!).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Mitton; 04-03-2011, 05:38 PM. Reason: Added discussion on how to determine the incremental cost

Re: Utah clean fuel vehcile credits - how to get them

Hey Utah CNG vehicle owners...

I have heard from a few different sources that Utah is considering taking the Clean Fuel Vehicle Tax Credit (the $3000 tax credit for an OEM and the $2500 tax credit for a conversion) away. Please email/call your local state representative and voice your concern. They will listen to you.
    Jared.
    Mountain Green, Utah
    2003 CNG Cavalier
    2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

When you get your tax form TC-40V back in the mail, make sure the DEQ signed and stamped it. When I got mine back, it was stamped but not signed. I called the DEQ and had them fax me a signed copy for my records. The DEQ representative told me that he frequently forgets to sign and stamp some.
      Jared.
      Mountain Green, Utah
      2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

I am a new CNG vehicle owner, and new to this site.
        I purchased a 1998 Chev. Cavalier bi-fuel vehicle recently.
        I have the TC 40V document.
        How do I document the conversion cost for this year Chev?
        Where do I got to get a document showing the cost for the '98.
        I see the site for the 2001 Chev. Cav's...

Thanks for any help.

Comment

lmlewis,

Attached is a window sticker of a 2000 Chevy Cav with the CNG option. I am going to use this as my prove of cost for my 2001 Chevy Cav. You just take 50% of $5,935. Keep this window sticker for your records.
          Attached Files
          Jared.
          Mountain Green, Utah
          2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

Anyone have a window sticker or any idea of how to find one for a 2000 F-150 dedicated cng? I just bought 2 and I'm trying to figure out the exact value of the tax credit before the end of the year.

Thanks,

Greg

Comment

Click on the PDF form at the bottom of the original posting in this thread. It is for 2001 vehicles, but will give you a starting point.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Re: Utah clean fuel vehcile tax credits - how to get them

Found these on the Energy.gov Web site.

Alternative Fuel and Advanced Technology Vehicle Listings for Past Years:
                Now I just need to find guides for 1997 through 2000, since those are what my vehicles are.

Comment

I'm also trying to compile all of the window stickers that I can find to prove the incremental costs of vehicles we sell. If anyone has any other window stickers or evidence of incremental costs, please post them here.

I'm putting them on our website here: http://www.cngutah.com/why.html
                  Attached Files
                  www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

Does anybody know where we can get the incremental CNG cost of older Crown Vic's, like 1996?
                    08 Civic GX

Comment

I was finally able to answer my own question… and find a good website that list options on used vehicles.

intellichoice.com

There you can plug in year, make, model. On the left you select "options" and it will then tell you how much each option cost. That website only listed CNG as an option on a Crown Vic for the years 1996-2002. The retail price was the same for those years - $6165. However it also listed an “invoice” price from $5485 to $5487. Is it likely that a tax auditor would accept the retail/MSRP price? And what’s the difference between invoice and retail?

This website is similar to edmonds.com but I found intellichoice.com easier to use. It also tells how much the CNG option was on certain years of Cavaliers.

John, on your posting titled “Utah clean fuel vehicle tax credits - how to get them” you mentioned that the “CNG Crown Victoria's incremental cost in 2001 was $2,830…” What’s the source on that? I’m going to take a leap and hope I'm ok in claiming the whole $3000 tax credit on my ’96 Crown Vic.
                      Last edited by Go CNG; 12-29-2007, 03:23 PM.
                      08 Civic GX

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up on intellichoice.

The $2,830 comes from the 2001 AFV product guide as per the link in my top post (also made into a PDF attached at the end of my top post).
                        http://fss.gsa.gov/vehicles/leasing/...oductguide.cfm

The above link was provided to me by the Division of Air Quality, who I know cooperates closely with the Tax Commission on this tax credit. I think that if audited you are going to have a hard time convincing the state tax commission that the incremental cost was over $6,000 when your auditor is sitting across the table with the GSA info for other years of the same model showing $2,850.

Comment

I've been checking out the GSA incremental costs that are listed in the link and they seem to vary quite a bit (on some vehicles) from the options costs listed on intellichoice.com. My 2001 f-150 for instance has a GSA incremental cost of $3475, but on the intellichoice options page it is shown as well over 7K (bifuel prep of $5995 and bifuel engine prep $1565-retail values). The 2001 Cavalier on GSA has an incremental cost of $5406 and intellichoice has cng provisions at $5935. Anyway, I don't know if the "incremental cost" is the actual invoice cost that would be found on a window sticker of the vehicle. It may be a government cost arrived at some other way.
                          Darress

Comment

I just order a copy of the invoice for my 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier from Stacy Lillar at GM Media Archive & Vehicle Invoice Collection. The information to contact Staacy has changed. Her new phone infomation is 734-462-5543 # 163.

If you need to document your OEM or incremental costs for tax purposes try the GM Media Archive & Vehicle Invoice Collection. Stacy Lillard at "vehicleinvoice@gmmediaarchive.com" or (734) 421-0273 x. 107 can supply it for you. It costs $50.00.

Comment

Thanks, ttomisin I updated the top post with the new number. Please scan and post the invoice when you get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X