Proposed HOT Lanes on I-10 and I-110 Will be AFV Friendly Feb 24, 2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed HOT Lanes on I-10 and I-110 Will be AFV Friendly Feb 24, 2014

The white sticker privileges for alternative fuel vehicles (including CNG vehicles) will not apply to the Metro ExpressLanes. This one year pilot program converts High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) to High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes on the I-110 between Adams Blvd. and Artesia Transit Center (scheduled to open in fall 2012) and the I-10 between Alameda Street and I-605 (scheduled to open in early 2013). These two routes are the only HOV corridors serving downtown Los Angeles.

The HOV Network in LA County covers 485 lane miles, or 34% of the total 1,410 HOV lane miles (approximate) in the state. The Metro ExpressLanes will cover 10.5% of the county network. After one year of operation, Metro and Caltrans must report back to the state and the general public on the performance of the Metro ExpressLanes.

It's time to rally if we don't want to loose these two critical routes. How can we influence this process and communicate the potentially detrimental affects of this revenue-enhancement experiment? AFV drivers have dramatically lower vehicle range and fewer fueling opportunities than our conventionally fueled cousins. These two factors may serve to push AFV drivers back into their traditional combustion vehicles if no accommodations are allowed.
    Last edited by Curtis; 02-21-2014, 07:19 PM.
    BiggJohn
    -------------------
    2000 CNG Camry
    VRA Wannabe

Re: Proposed HOT Lanes on I-10 and I-110 not AFV Friendly

They have consciously made this decision and are unapologetic about it, even though their logic is incorrect. Continuing incentives to cleaner 'white sticker' cars removes those cars from the regular lanes, reducing congestion. But they don't accept that argument. They only want cars with multiple people, even if they would be carpooling without the incentive.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

Another article on it.
      http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...,5332687.story
      "Legislation that approved the demonstration project did not specifically require the agency to waive tolls for solo drivers of alternative-fuel vehicles because lawmakers didn't anticipate MTA changing the rules for those corridors, he said."

They need to learn from cities like SF and London.

Comment

With the exception of the I5 and I15 going north, there are no HOV lanes in San Diego county; worse, they are removing the HOV entry lanes onto the interstates. Right now there is really no reason to have a white sticker in San Diego if you live in South or East San Diego.

Comment

Solo drivers of low-emission autos fume over fees to use carpool lanes
          The MTA plans to convert carpool lanes on two Los Angeles-area freeways to toll roads, with fees of up to $1.40 a mile for solo drivers of electric and other alternative-fuel vehicles.

By Jerry Hirsch, Los Angeles Times
          September 14, 2011

Drivers of electric and other alternative-fuel vehicles enjoy a special perk: They can drive solo in California's carpool lanes.

But under a controversial plan proposed by local traffic agencies, those drivers will have to pay to use two heavily used carpool lanes that are being converted to toll roads.

It has riled electric-car shoppers and alternative-fuel-vehicle advocates who worry that this is the first step in chipping away at a California tradition of letting solo drivers of autos with new technology and low emissions onto carpool lanes.

"There is a real risk that if they do it here, they might try to do it elsewhere," said state Sen. Alan Lowenthal (D-Long Beach.)

Officials plan to convert 25 miles of carpool lanes on the 10 and 110 freeways into toll lanes. Carpoolers and buses will be able to use the lanes for free, while solo drivers — even those in cars that could travel in regular high-occupancy-vehicle lanes without restriction — will have to pay up to $1.40 a mile during peak rush-hour traffic.

The special toll lanes will be part of a one-year pilot program on the 10 between Alameda Street and the 605 Freeway and on the 110 between Adams Boulevard and the Artesia Transit Center.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority said it wants to keep traffic moving by charging all solo drivers for using the roads.

Solo drivers in cars with carpool-lane permits clog up traffic more than many people realize, said Stephanie Wiggins, an MTA official.

She said the agency looked at the effect of allowing conventional hybrids, such as the Toyota Prius, into the lanes in previous years. (Hybrids lost that access this year.) Wiggins said that on the southbound 110 during afternoon rush hour, hybrids and natural gas vehicles accounted for almost 1 in 5 vehicles in the carpool lane.

Lowenthal said he was surprised by the MTA move. Legislation that approved the demonstration project did not specifically require the agency to waive tolls for solo drivers of alternative-fuel vehicles because lawmakers didn't anticipate MTA changing the rules for those corridors, he said.

The plan is making some car shoppers angry.

Attorney Mark Loza considered buying an electric vehicle but decided not to after learning that the car would not have free privileges to travel in the carpool lanes of the two freeways, including a stretch of the 10 he drives several times a week.

"This is a huge disincentive for hundreds of thousands of people who travel those routes into the most congested city in America," theRancho Cucamonga resident said.

Giving super-clean cars access to the HOV lanes is an effective and popular incentive, said John Boesel, chief executive of Calstart, a clean-transportation technology trade group in Pasadena.

"It's disappointing that a portion of the HOV-lane network might not be available for the advanced vehicles. This will cause confusion and decrease the incentive to buy such cars," Boesel said.

In London, which has pioneered such "congestion pricing" efforts, drivers of clean-fuel vehicles pay nothing or deeply discounted rates to use carpool lanes, and that is driving the purchase of electric and other clean fuel vehicles in that city, he said.

And toll bridges in the San Francisco Bay Area also give electric and natural-gas vehicles the same discounted rates as carpools during peak hours.

The MTA estimates that 5,000 to 7,500 people a day will use the 10 and 110 toll lanes, which are projected to generate $20 million in revenue during the pilot year.

Construction on the $210.6-million project, funded by a federal grant, started in July. The 110 portion is expected to be completed by end of 2012, while the section along the 10 will open in 2013, MTA spokesman Rick Jager said.

Tolls will vary from 25 cents to $1.40 a mile depending on traffic — the more traffic, the higher the price will be to keep added cars from clogging the lanes. If the speed of traffic falls below 45 mph for more than 10 minutes, the lanes will be closed to all solo drivers until speeds increase.

At the maximum rate, drivers could pay almost $20 to drive the 14-mile toll lane on the 10, but the MTA estimates that the average user will pay $6 per trip on 11 miles of the 10 and $4 per trip on the 110 during peak times.

jerry.hirsch@latimes.com
          BiggJohn
          -------------------
          2000 CNG Camry
          VRA Wannabe

Comment

MTA Contacts... Let Our Voices be Heard!

Arthur T. Leahy
            Chief Executive Officer
            213.922.6888 leahya@metro.net
            Paul Taylor
            Deputy Chief Executive Officer
            213.922.3838 taylorp@metro.net
            Richard Hunt
            General Manager
            818.701.2801 huntr@metro.net
            Stephanie Wiggins
            Executive Officer
            Congestion Reduction Initiative
            213.922.1023 wigginss@metro.net
            BiggJohn
            -------------------
            2000 CNG Camry
            VRA Wannabe

Comment

Re: MTA Contacts... Let Our Voices be Heard!

This is discrimination and illegal, either everyone has to pay or nobody pays.
              According to the ARB, that white sticker is equal to having two other people in the car which means that when I drive alone; legally I have 3 people in the car.
              They cannot count the actual number of people in a vehicle but they must count the legal number of people in the car which is 3.

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveMyNGV View Post
                This is discrimination and illegal, either everyone has to pay or nobody pays.
                According to the ARB, that white sticker is equal to having two other people in the car which means that when I drive alone; legally I have 3 people in the car.
                They cannot count the actual number of people in a vehicle but they must count the legal number of people in the car which is 3.
                Tell me about it, that darn tank in the trunk is like having another person in the car,

Comment

There is hope for NGV owners.

Metro's site states with respect to the 10 and 110 HOV lanes being converted to HOT lanes: "Will alternative fuel/hybrid vehicles with stickers qualify to ride in the Metro ExpressLanes free of charge: No. Driving alone in an alternative fuel/hybrid vehicle helps reduce pollution, but it does not reduce congestion. Alternative fuel/hybrid vehicles will be treated like all other vehicles." Also see LA Times article, Sept. 14, 2011, to same effect.

However, on February 24, 2012, Assembly Member Bob Blumenfield introduced Assembly Bill 2405 to amend section 5205.5 of the Vehicle Code to allow access, without toll, by natural gas and other white-stickered cars to the HOT lanes. Link -- http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/...d_asm_v98.html. There is also an amendment to the federal tranportation funding law that has been proposed by Honda and other companies that would maintain free access for single occupant natural gas and electric vehicles when federally funded HOV lanes are converted to HOT lanes.

White sticker holders unite -- comunicate your support to Assembly Member Blumenfield and your California Senator and Assembly Member.

HOT kijbill (Assembly mans

Comment

Contacted Clean Energy Corp. to see if they would support an AB2405 info effort at all their fueling locations since it is their best $$$$ interests.

Comment

Arthur T. Leahy
                      Chief Executive Officer 213.922.6888 leahya@metro.net
                      Paul Taylor
                      Deputy Chief Executive Officer 213.922.3838 taylorp@metro.net

Richard Hunt
                      General Manager 818.701.2801 huntr@metro.net

Stephanie Wiggins
                      Executive Officer
                      Congestion Reduction Initiative 213.922.1023 wigginss@metro.net

Called them all. Next up State Senators.

Comment

I wonder what will happen in 2015? They'll probably kick us out for good. They want there money and they want it now. (JG wentworth commercial) lol

Comment

Metro's Board has chosen to oppose AB-2405. They're short sighted & proud of it.

BILL: AB 2405
                          AUTHOR: ASSEMBLY MEMBER BOB BLUMENFIELD (D- LOS ANGELES)
                          SUBJECT: USE OF METRO EXPRESS LANES BY ALTERNATIVE FUEL VEHICLES
                          ACTION: OPPOSE

MTA Staff recommends that the Board oppose AB 2405 which would authorize alternative
                          fuel vehicles to use the Express Lanes free of charge regardless of the number of
                          occupants in the vehicle.

Last year, state law regulating the use of the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes by
                          alternative fuel vehicles was modified to eliminate the ability of hybrid vehicles
                          (previously yellow stickers) to use the HOV lanes regardless of the number of
                          occupants. Instead, a newer class of alternative fuel vehicles (now white and green
                          stickers) were authorized to use the HOV lanes regardless of occupancy. That law
                          exempted Metro's Express Lanes project and therefore excluded alternative fuel
                          vehicles from the Express Lanes.

AB 2405 would:
                          Repeal the provision that excludes alternative fuel vehicles from Metro's Express
                          Lanes and, therefore, allow alternative fuel vehicles to use the lanes free of
                          charge regardless of occupancy.

DETERMINATION OF SAFETY IMPACT
                          This measure will not impact safety.

FINANCIAL IMPACT
                          Staff are currently assessing the use of the HOV lanes by these vehicles now and this
                          will provide some scale as to both the congestion that would be caused but also the
                          potential toll revenue that would not be received.

IMPACT ANALYSIS
                          AB 2405 will allow alternative fuel vehicles, regardless of the number of occupants to
                          access the Express Lanes without the fee that would required of vehicles with a similar
                          number of occupants.

Last year, state law regulating the use of the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes by
                          alternative fuel vehicles was modified to eliminate the ability of hybrid vehicles
                          (previously yellow stickers) to use the HOV lanes regardless of the number of
                          occupants. Instead, a newer class of alternative fuel vehicles (now white and green
                          stickers), was authorized to use the HOV lanes regardless of occupancy. Metro staff
                          sought an exemption in that legislation which excluded all alternative fuel vehicles from
                          Metro's Express Lanes project while allowing full use of the remainder of the HOV lanes
                          in Los Angeles County. AB 2405 would remove that exception and therefore allow the
                          new class of vehicles to use the Express Lanes without paying any required fee.

Staff's original concern, and the reason we sought the exemption in the first place, was
                          based on the need to maintain maximum flexibility in the management of the lanes. This
                          flexibility is needed to maintain a speed attractive to potential toll payers. Allowing
                          alternative fuel vehicles in the Express Lanes will limit the availability of the lanes to
                          persons wishing to pay a toll. Additionally, Metro has developed a program that
                          responds to equity concerns in these corridors. Allowing an alternative fuel vehicle into
                          the lane without a fee could run counter to the concerns because a person of modest
                          means may pay to use the lane while the owner of an alternative fuel vehicle uses the
                          lane for free.

Generally speaking, Metro's Express Lanes provides a unique opportunity to test
                          congestion pricing of value pricing in Los Angeles County. The program allowed Metro
                          to access $21 0 million in federal transit funding while testing an innovative
                          transportation management tool for one year. During this demonstration program Metro
                          will evaluate the effectiveness of the lanes and impacts on the movement in the entire
                          corridor. The project must comply with the agreement with the United States of
                          Department of Transportation and with the state legislation authorizing this program.
                          The federal agreement and the state legislation proscribe conditions under which the
                          lanes must operate but also include reports that must be provided upon completion of
                          the demonstration period. After the demonstration period, staff will be able to evaluate
                          the feasibility of allowing alternative fuel vehicles to use the lanes in the context of the
                          overall performance of the system.

Staff recommends that the board continue its position of not allowing alternative fuel
                          vehicles in the Express Lanes at least for the one year demonstration period. After that
                          period, Metro is required to provide a detailed report on the performance of the lanes
                          and this will allow us to make a determination about the long-term use of the Express
                          Lanes by alternative fuel vehicles. Staff therefore recommends that the Board of
                          Directors adopt an oppose position on the legislation. However, ensure that the reports
                          required pursuant to the federal agreement and state legislation fully evaluate the
                          feasibility of allowing alternative fuel vehicles to use the lanes after the demonstration
                          period.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...bhhlJTW9wpfcBg
                          BiggJohn
                          -------------------
                          2000 CNG Camry
                          VRA Wannabe

Comment

It might be wise to try and draw in the Green sticker crowd of Leaf and (New) Volt owners. If anyone is a member of their forums, or would be willing to join for the purpose of posting the relevant portions of this thread, please do so. I am distributing the info to all Clean Cities Coalitions in CA.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Alright folks - what else can we do?

It's funny (but not haha funny) - I've been driving the 110 lanes for a few months now and couldn't figure out what all the new construction in the lanes was all about. I knew I should have been reading CNGChat for the latest, but just was out of touch for the last few months!

Comment

Working...
                              X