No announcement yet.

Twin Line gas supply or 2-3 regulators?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Line gas supply or 2-3 regulators?

Twin Line gas supply or 2-3 regulators?
    I've seen various threads about losing pilot lights on water heaters etc whilst home-fuleing via a compressor. I get this problem. The solution appears to be a twin-line supply, thus 2 x gas meters, each feeding their own segment. In the UK I'm not likely to be able to get such a facility installed easily. Now it occcurs to me, assuming the pressure is high enough, would 2-3 regulators after one meter be pretty much the same thing, and do the same job? A pilot only needs to stay lit, will this work?

Re: Twin Line gas supply or 2-3 regulators?

Much of your question relates to supply. What is the pressure supply? Here in the US the supply may be regulated to 6" or 7" water column at the meter or come in at 2 psi and regulated before the appliances. (one regulator or multiple) If regulated at the meter to 6" or 7" wc the gas company can change the regulator to 2 psi and then you need to regulate it down for the appliances. For a new line to the garage you could tap off from ahead of the 6" wc regulator and have another regulator at the garage.

If you are stuck with 6" or 7" wc be very diligent on the flow calculations to make sure the supply is adequate.

Comment

You need to be sure that the meter and regulator are sized for the load. A home meter can be as low as 150 cubic feet per hour, although most are good for from 200 to 275 CFH. If you have an instantaneous water heater it can quickly starve your supply. This is why you need to include your gas utility when installing a home fueling unit. Be careful trying to upgrade your pressure to 2 PSI, many utilities requier a welded house line at 2 PSI and above.

Comment

Thanks for that, erm, not as simple as I'd hoped, but in truth I'd suspected it wouldn't be. I've since played about with it to recreate the issue, 'on-cue' as it were, and now see the complete problem.
        The thing is, in my situation all appears rahter odd. I have 3 x appliances running on my supply. I can run my gas tumble dryer, my cental heating boiler, and my homefuel off my supply, all going 'full-chat' no issues at all.
        But here's the odd bit, if I shut down my compressor, if my boiler is not running at full throttel, this cuases my boiler pilot light to 'flicker & hunt ' for a few secs, and then go out. To be clear, it'll only do this if its not being called to heat, thus if the boiler is at full-throttle, burning to heat my home, and I switch off my compressoer at this moment, no issue, but if the room stat is not calling for heat, thus we have only a pilot, because it has only the pilot going, it 'hunts' and then goes out. The tumble dryer has its own auto-ignition (no permanent pilot) so if this is also happening on the dryer, i'll see not it because it relights everytime it calls-to-heat.

Alos having gone out, it's a b*(rd to light, so I find the best way is the put he compressor back on or the tumble dryer, and it gets rid of the air to amek the pilot light again.

Thus as far as I can work out, it is the compressor shutting dwon that causes the issue? Odd, surely it would be at this point that we have more gas on tap not less? If it was starting the compressor causing it I'd get it, but shutting down?? - this has me flummoxed. It looks liek my compressor creates a vacuum in hte pipe on shut-down, or I'm thinking we have a regulator issue or am I over-thinking thsi one?
        Last edited by BritCNGUser; 12-28-2012, 07:11 AM.

Comment

@Brit,
          Couple of things you can consider: When your pump shuts own, you mat be getting a small surge in pressure at the pilot, causing it to 'flare' or stand away from it's base, then it tries to recover. Putting a regulator on the boiler itself may help buffer that issue. The other thought is that a standing pilot requires a 'thermopile' which is the safety device that signals the pilot is lit. When that misses flame, it cools rapidly and shuts off the gas supply to the boiler. You may just have a weak thermopile needing replacement,or you may be able to adjust the position of it slightly further away from the pilot so that it stays in the flame at shutdown.
          '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
          (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

If your compressor line is coming off the end of your appliances line you should probably separate the compressor line by teeing it off the main line ahead of the appliances.

Comment

A little more information might be helpful. What is your total BTU load? IE each appliance has a BTU input rating add them all up, including the home compressor. How is the compressor tied in? Generally they will be close to the meter. Is vent on your regulator clear? Sometime they get painted over or plugged in some way. If this happens the regulator won't react properly.

Comment

Last edited by BritCNGUser; 12-29-2012, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Perhaps you would consider getting a qualified gas person on site to calculate, evaluate and recommend a path to correct the issue(s).

I very highly doubt that you are introducing air into the gas system, but if you think you are, STOP, shut it all down and get professional help immediately. Air in the gas line is very dangerous, no gas system pressure should ever be negative to the atmosphere.

The life you save may be your own.

Comment

There should never be air in your gas line, the gas system is pressurized. I would contact your local Gas utility and have them inspect your system and appliances. For a Fuelmaker that diameter of pipe would be undersized, but I know nothing about the compressor you are using. I have no idea what kind of water heater you use, but I have a feeling that could be where the problem lies.

Comment

Is the 22mm OD. ? , If so, you are way undersized for all 3 appliances, and that would be maybe adequate for the coltri alone, as it can use a nominal 300 cfh. How many meters (distance) is the furthest outlet from the gas meter/ regulator ? You need to stop using the compressor until this situation is resolved. Get your gas supplier to the site to help. The poss. of an explosion or fire is not worth the risk.
                      Last edited by Lakewood90712; 12-29-2012, 11:42 PM.

Comment

What pressure do you run in the uk on the low side of the regulator we here stateside run about 7 inchs a friend had a coltri and had to run a seperate regulator and meter for it and a pluse tank as it would suck all the piilot lights out with a 1 1/4 line but it sure is a nice compressor

Comment

Last edited by CNGLO; 01-01-2013, 02:56 PM. Reason: TOS language violation

Comment

well my friend across the pond a pulse tank is to stop pulses from damaging the regulator . when the piston of your first stage gos down it pulls the gas in causing the regulator to open than it reaches the bottem of the stroke and the valve closes and the gas stops and the rubber in the regulator slams back and closes the regulator. at 500 rpm this is happening 500 times a min so you can see that the regultor parts would wear out very rapidly so by putting a tank in line with the compressor inlet and the regulator outlet it smooths out the pulses. it could be that the pulse of high pressure when the compressor cuts off is blowing the pilot light out I run a 50 gallon pulse tank with a 15 cfm compressor so I think if I was wearing your shoes with a 5 cfm compressor I would put a 20 gallon tank in the line right before the compressor it must have a seperate inlet and out and they should not be across from each other a few inches apart on the same end seems to work well. good luck cowboy

Comment

Hallelujah! before coiming back to thsi thread I googled the function of a surge tank and I nearly had my my head on it, there's not much I could find, then (Cowboy, thanks to your reply, now) I see the light. I'm sure this is a big part of my problem. I've an electroniucs backgound and thiis 'surge tank' is like shoving a stonking great capacitor into a circuit, to smooth out a spiking supply. Not sure whre I'd get such a thing, can't imagine they're exactly common-or-garden here, so I'm wodering if I can get hold of a heating boiler pressure vessel beefy enough to do the job. I'll start looking. Thanks to you, I reckon I'm on the scent.

I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzSiL3h2pUU

He uses a pulse tank too.
                              Last edited by BritCNGUser; 01-03-2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X