Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need FMQ 8-36 help-can i remove 1 head and still run the unit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need FMQ 8-36 help-can i remove 1 head and still run the unit?

Problems all at once. My local cng supplier abruptly went out out of business and my fmq8-36 needs service on one module. I currently have 3 working to support my fleet, but i wanrt to remove the 4th for service.
    Can i run the FMQ on the three remaining and have nothing in the 4th spot til it is rebuilt?
    Also upon rebuild i will eventually replace my unit with and ingersol rand 20hp. So my fmq will be for sale
    and all 4 heads will be very low hours.
    Thanks for any info.

Re: Need FMQ 8-36 help-can i remove 1 head and still run the unit?

It is my understanding that the FMQ8-36 uses the same compressor heads as the FMQ2-36. I was quoted $1400.00 (part costs only) for a new FMQ2-36 compressor head from TGT. They do not rebuild them anymore but they want to get the old compressor module back eventually. I think the cheapest way to go is to buy one of these new compressor modules (no time limit on the new ones) and send the old one in after you do the swap. I'm sure they will just hold a core deposit until you get the old one sent in. I like the new module concept better instead of paying just as much for fixing an old module that may have been rebuilt several times.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_kan View Post
      It is my understanding that the FMQ8-36 uses the same compressor heads as the FMQ2-36. I was quoted $1400.00 (part costs only) for a new FMQ2-36 compressor head from TGT. They do not rebuild them anymore but they want to get the old compressor module back eventually. I think the cheapest way to go is to buy one of these new compressor modules (no time limit on the new ones) and send the old one in after you do the swap. I'm sure they will just hold a core deposit until you get the old one sent in. I like the new module concept better instead of paying just as much for fixing an old module that may have been rebuilt several times.

Currently the compressor i have is under Warranty, so i have to send it back for repair.

Comment

Contact Dual Fuel Systems in Naperville, IL 800-337-4264 They are the distributor.

Or you can plug the inlet and outlet block holes for that compressor and disconnect the 4 wire control module connector. It will throw a code *2 (12,22,32,42 indicating which module it is) but it can be ignored till the compressor module is replaced. Cover the opening to keep the control module clean and dry. The fan will still run as usual. Disconnecting other wiring will throw more codes and may shut the system down. You will need to do a board reset when the repair is completed to remove the error code.

Save the outlet block and bolts (don't lose the Oring) to mount on the new module.

Just out of curiousity, is it a code *9?(19,29,39,49) Do you have a coalescing filter on the low pressure gas line?

Comment

I don't have a coalescing filter, i will check the with our scan tool regarding codes. Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!

Comment

cngpizza - you must have an old Q8. Newer ones have the error codes readout in the display.

Comment

Working...
            X