Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you buy a compressor module and install it yourself?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you buy a compressor module and install it yourself?

I have sent two emails and left a voice mail for Mansfield Gas Equipment Systems in Ontario California trying to inquire what the cost and lead time is on ordering a replacement compressor module for an FM4. So far no luck getting any info.

The last email from Ashley Trimble, Service Coordinator was "Please provide all of your contact information and I will supply an estimate to replace your compressor." I replied 4 days ago and haven't heard back.

Has anyone confirmed you can order a replacement fuelmaker compressor module and install it yourself?

In another recent thread I read that a replacement module was $1400 though there wasn't a lot of details.

I need to make a decision if I want to send it out to get it rebuilt or if I want to get a replacement from Fuelmaker as I approach time limit on my existing compressor.

Thanks for any input.
    Karl

Re: Can you buy a compressor module and install it yourself?

Wow! Within 15 minutes of posting this I got a reply from Ashley to my email. Apparently no DIY install but basic cost is 1400 for the module (with tax, labor and shipping additional).

Karl

Comment

To get the 2 year/2000 hour warranty, it would need replacing by a factory authorized technician.

Comment

two thousand hours and if you are lucky 1 gge pr hr for 1400 dont sound like a good deal to me this is close to 70 cents for compression plus power just for the wear and tear not counting the price of gas from the utillty and most folks I have talked to say more like 1/2 gge pr hr

Comment

When you do the math it does sound pretty dismal. It is even higher than you calculate as there is sales tax, shipping and a service/installation fee on top of the 1400. The good news is the fuelmakers are no longer programmed to time out at 2000 hours. You now get to run it til failure and then get a new compressor module installed.

Given the additional costs it sounds more economical to get the compressor rebuilt by a third party rebuilder.

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by karl View Post
            When you do the math it does sound pretty dismal. It is even higher than you calculate as there is sales tax, shipping and a service/installation fee on top of the 1400. The good news is the fuelmakers are no longer programmed to time out at 2000 hours. You now get to run it til failure and then get a new compressor module installed.

Given the additional costs it sounds more economical to get the compressor rebuilt by a third party rebuilder.

Karl
            The problem is all but one independent rebuilder has gone belly-up, and the one still in business uses mainly fuelmaker parts, only a little lower in cost.

Fuelmaker units and parts are down in cost, but this is due to the U.S. Dollar rising against the Euro, and not due to any efficiency or production technology breakthrough. Not going to see any cost advantage until production rises , like ten fold , and the market gets big enough for competetion.

Comment

I don't know where you get 1400 hours from... The old time out was 4000 hours. That program has been discontinued and you now run it out till the 4th stage head gets weaker than you can stand. Typically I've seen a run out time of 7000 hours. That calculates to closer to 23 cents/hour maintenance cost.

Comment

Working...
              X