FMQ2-36 Issues - backup unit down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMQ2-36 Issues - backup unit down

Well my 1st unit (FMQ2-36) went down (compressor timed out) a while back then recently my second unit went down (compressor won't turn). I've had just about everything happen to these units over the years; replaced start and run capacitors, replaced transitors, resistors, fuses, rebuilds, and other.

Does anybody know if I can get parts directly for these units without sending them to someone and paying a arm and leg for the repairs?

The first unit probably just needs cleaned, o-rings, seals, rings, lubrication and time chip reset/replaced. The second unit has some metal flakes in the center part. I pulled the piston heads and the pistons and cylinders appear OK but something happened near the main shaft. I have not completely disassembled it yet - trying to be careful and not damage anything else.

I was hoping by this time someone would have a better replacement CNG compressor and I would divorce myself from Fuelmaker. Guess we all know that story.

Anyone got an inside track for Fuelmaker parts? Let me know.

Re: FMQ2-36 Issues - backup unit down

My recommendation is to call the wizards at GoCNGpumps, they were the original Fuelmaker engineers and have just about anything you need to get the units back up and running.
    www.gocngpumps.com

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
      My recommendation is to call the wizards at GoCNGpumps, they were the original Fuelmaker engineers and have just about anything you need to get the units back up and running.
      www.gocngpumps.com
      Thanks for the information. I requested some information and options offered via their web site.

Comment

Joe, sorry to hear about all your issues with the FMs. It seems to me that all the electric issues you have experienced are more likely related to input voltage than the machine itself. Either you have poor quality power at your residence or (more likely) a bad connection. Main wire connection or at a breaker. A loose connection essentially causes low voltage or brown out condition. Low voltage has an inverse relationship in electricity causing parts to get hotter than designed. If the issue is resolved, much of the problems arise at a later date as the damaged/weak parts can no longer handle the full power applied to them. This can turn into a nightmare as a weak part can fail 6 months later and leave a person baffled as to why a part burned out.

As for the compressor module - buy a new compressor module, it comes with an hour meter that will not time out. The parts internal to rebuilding the heads are not commonly available.

FM has been on the market since 1989 and has a long history of reliability in the industrial environment and more recently to private use. You may find a new (other) brand out there but you are the guinea pig.

Comment

What is the cost of a new compressor module? Is there a core charge if you dont send in your timed out or failed module?
          I was under the impression the fuelmakers could be rebuilt over and over. Am i missing something?

Karl

Comment

I have recently heard from my FM Rep that BRC is, or will soon be, only offering a remanufactured module instead of having them rebuilt in the field. Pulled units will be collected and sent back to Italy for factory refurbishment or stripped for salvage from what it sounded like to me.
            '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
            (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

It has been several years ago, but a fellow on this board or another had made the statement that poor power was bad for the FMQ units. He said he turned the breaker off during bad weather or if the grid was experiencing brown outs. I have followed that practice each time a storm approaches and so far no problems with the unit.
              '12 Metallic Civic NG w/Navi
              '09 White Civic GX
              '06 White Bifuel Ridgeline
              FMQ 2-36

Comment

BRC FM is only offering new parts now. The core charge is $300 (all major components) and the dud will be returned to the factory for salvage. For pricing please contact your nearest distributor.

Warranty on the new parts is 2 year/2000 hours whichever comes first. This includes Phill parts. Yes, the Phill is now field/shop servicable and your distributor is stocking the repair parts.

All electronics are sensitive to brownout conditions and storms. (spikes) Not just FMs.

Comment

Update - gocngpumps never returned my email inquiry. Guess I'll need to call them if I want an answer. Regarding the electronics - that is not my problem currently. I have a 200 AMP service and have just 15 feet of 10/3 from the CB panel to the unit.

I'm curious about getting a new compressor module as some have suggested. Has anybody done this recently - how much did it cost (FMQ2-36)? I do not have a Fuelmaker dealer locally.

Currently I'm going out of my way to fuel at the public CNG station and I really need to either get parts or a rebuild or a rebuilt compressor module or a new compressor module.

Comment

The dealer/distributor for your area is Tulsa Gas Technologies 918-665-2641 Check the price with them.

About the electronics (not personal to you) I don't care if there is 500 amp service and only two inches away - a bad connection or incorrect supply will cause issues and can cause ongoing issues on any electrical part long after the connection is fixed.

Comment

Update.

Ok - this is what I found out from TGT and GoCNGPumps:

TGT: Quoted me about $1400.00 for a new compressor module - comes from BRC Fuelmaker in Italy (not a rebuilt unt). These new units do not have a limit on the hours of use.

GoCNGPumps: Quoted me a basic rebuild for about $1200.00. Unit that has other issues would need to be looked at and would cost more. They set the hour limit to 3000 hours.

GreenFuels: Appear to be out of business.

Seems to me the best path forward would be to get the new units from TGT (BRC Fuelmaker dealer). Any thoughts? Has anyone out there rebuilt their own compressor module (FMQ-2-36)?

Comment

Does brc ask for a trade in or core?
                        How much lead time do they need for delivery?
                        Did they say if they have replacement fm4 modules?
                        Thanks, karl

Comment

The core is $300.
                          Distributors are starting to stock the parts so delivery is immediate in many cases. Inventory will increase with time.
                          The Q2 P30 compression module should work fine.

Comment

This is what Kevin at TGT told me. BRC Fuelmaker says they want the core, however, they appear in no hurry to get them. Aparently TGT has a bunch just sitting around. The guy at GoCNGpumps offered me $200 for my core and I told him I was not interested. I offered to give him one to get one rebuild but he was not interested in my offer.

I think for $200-$300 dollars I might just keep the core for parts.

Based on what I reading nobody out there (aside from dealers) has rebuilt/repaired their own Fuelmaker. Sure would like to talk with someone who has successfully done repairs on their own Fuelmaker.

Comment

Karl,

I did not ask about the FM4 - I'd call them up TGT (Tulsa Gas Technologies). I think Kevin said it would be a couple weeks to get a new compressor module for the FM2-36.

Comment

Working...
                              X