Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FM-4 rebuild AND upgrade concerns -- HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM-4 rebuild AND upgrade concerns -- HELP!

My FM-4 is in need of a re-build now. I live in southern California and Gas Equipment Systems is my regional dealer. I plan to be a CNG driver for the next 10 years. I currently have a 2,200 hour compressor head. So here are my concerns. 1) do I have an different dealer that I can turn to for comparison pricing? 2) if I choose to up grade to either the 4,000 hour head OR to configure my FM-4 to a FMQ2-36 are there any draw backs as opposed to staying with my current 2,200 hour set up? 3) I need insight on comparable costs of these rebuilds. G.E.S. seems fair with a rebuild of my 2,200 hour head for $950.00 + labor and travel costs. Thank you for your help. Cal. 2008 GX, green.

Re: FM-4 rebuild AND upgrade concerns -- HELP!

I was not aware of any oem supported upgrades.

A third party vendor is offering upgrades, however I have been advised that if you send in a compressor head with non oem parts to fuelmaker for rebuilding, they will throw all of the non oem parts in the scrap bin, even if still functional, and charge you for all new parts. Cost could soar.

Comment

The FM4 head rebuild will be good for 4000 hours. Don't even think about sending BRC Fuel Maker a component that has non-FM parts in it.

Comment

I would also check out GreenFuels in TN.
        Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
        Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
        Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Comment

Greenfuels has a listing on e-bay for the 3600 psi upgrade.

Comment

I have thought of having Greenfuels upgrade my FM-4 to a 3600 psi 4000 hr unit but who will I get to service it for minor repairs? If the string seals are broken, are G.E.S.I. or other Fuelmaker repair shops going to service it? JOE

Comment

Go-CNG-Pumps would have no issues upgrading your FM4 to 3600psi, this does require the entire unit to be sent in. We reprogram the electronic module and hour meter, upgrade the burst disc and high pressure transducer, not a difficult process.

We also rebuild C3 and FM compressors, so we can not only upgrade your unit, but maintain it for years to come.

George Ott
              Go CNG Pumps
              8315 South 700 West #B
              Midvale, UT 84047
              Office: 801-255-4428 (Mon-Fri 8am to 4pm MST)
              Emergency/After Hours: 801-520-5465
              Last edited by slctech; 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I sent a FMQ-36 head to a secondary market rebuilder; they have had my $700 since last April. Two bad heads latter #1 l(ost 50% volume in 2 hours of run time) #2 (seized) They refuse to send back my funds, and I’m waiting on head #3.

I believe in giving a vendor a chance to perform and avoided this post until now. I still don’t want to openly slam them even with this issue, the gentleman is very nice and I believe he is doing his best. I fault myself for not doing enough homework. But in my opinion steep up to the plate take your medicine, deal with the lead-time, and pay for a fuelmaker rebuild. Or make sure if its secondary market that you can get some references that there heads are performing in the field.

Comment

cngoso,
                  Did you ever get this resolved? I have an FM4 that is due for a rebuild and I am curious what criteria you would use to select a secondary market rebuilder.

Thanks,
                  Karl

Comment

Working...
                  X