I am fueling at home.. Woohoo!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am fueling at home.. Woohoo!!

I set a goal to convert my vehicles over to CNG last September and to be refueling at home. After 7 months I have finally acheived that goal. It was a pretty long road since there is not much going on here in Houston, TX. The 4th largest city in the country and there are only 3 fueling stations. The closest station is 30 miles away.

Steps to accomplish the goal
    1. Last October I purchased a 2009 Ford Focus since it was one of the qualified vehicles to convert
    2. November I purchased a used C3 Fuelmaker and shipped it from California to my home in Katy, TX
    3. December I purchased a duel fuel Ford F-150 that was used by the City of Phoenix
    4. Entrusted my Focus to a new CNG conversion company in Houston. It was their first conversion. After 3 weeks, I had my car back and running on CNG. I am getting 10% better mileage now (42 MPG).
    5. January I tried to install the C3 but the guy who installed it connected it to 110V (should have connected to 220V) and we blew out the electronic board.
    6. Last week, I replaced the electronic module and after some tweaking to increase the inlet pressure, I am now fueling both my vehicles. It was a momentus occasion when it finally got it running. VERY SATISFYING!!

Bob
    Bob Baldwin
    2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
    2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Re: I am fueling at home.. Woohoo!!

Weclome to home fueling, you will never go back to problems of public fueling. It's great to always have a full tank and not have to worry pressure, quality and the operating status.

Comment

whats your cost from home?
      sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
      SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
      2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
      1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
      2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

Congratulations!
        Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
        Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
        Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Comment

Bob,

Congrats on your home refueling! I'm here in South Jersey, where the nearest refueling station is 65 miles away, just outside of Philadelphia. Fortunately, our local utilities authority is switching its fleet to NGVs this summer and is now in the process of building a fast-fill station only 5 miles away! I don't anticipate having to use it except in emergencies, but it's nice to know it's there!
          Enjoy your vehicles and especially enjoy passing all the gasoline stations.
          Rick Kershenblatt, Galloway, NJ

Comment

Originally posted by CNG MOTORS View Post
            whats your cost from home?
            I believe my cost will be $1.13/GGE. I also installed a gas meter just before the inlet to the compressor to track the amount of NG for my vehicles.

I had to drive to Springfield, MO last week in my gasoline car and it was sticker shock to pay for gasoline at $2.80/gallon after a couple months on CNG.
            Last edited by BobBaldwin; 03-27-2010, 09:50 AM.
            Bob Baldwin
            2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
            2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by BobBaldwin View Post
              I set a goal to convert my vehicles over to CNG last September and to be refueling at home. After 7 months I have finally acheived that goal. It was a pretty long road since there is not much going on here in Houston, TX. The 4th largest city in the country and there are only 3 fueling stations. The closest station is 30 miles away.

Steps to accomplish the goal
              1. Last October I purchased a 2009 Ford Focus since it was one of the qualified vehicles to convert
              2. November I purchased a used C3 Fuelmaker and shipped it from California to my home in Katy, TX
              3. December I purchased a duel fuel Ford F-150 that was used by the City of Phoenix
              4. Entrusted my Focus to a new CNG conversion company in Houston. It was their first conversion. After 3 weeks, I had my car back and running on CNG. I am getting 10% better mileage now (42 MPG).
              5. January I tried to install the C3 but the guy who installed it connected it to 110V (should have connected to 220V) and we blew out the electronic board.
              6. Last week, I replaced the electronic module and after some tweaking to increase the inlet pressure, I am now fueling both my vehicles. It was a momentus occasion when it finally got it running. VERY SATISFYING!!

Bob
              How much did the C3 cost you ?
              How much to install?
              1998 Honda GX
              ebike

Comment

You don't know how happy I am for you.

Comment

Bob, how about some photos of the new Baldwin Family Fuel Station ?

Comment

Originally posted by gringostar View Post
                    How much did the C3 cost you ?
                    How much to install?
                    The used C3 was $2000 plus $300 shipping. I paid a handyman about $200 to install the whole thing. He had to
                    1. Pour a cement slab and anchor bolt my C3 down.
                    2. Pipe the NG from my water heater in the garage out to the C3.
                    3. Wire my C3 to the electrical.

I purchased a new gas meter for $180 so that I could track my vehicle NG usage.

So...
                    C3 - $2000
                    Shipping $ 300
                    Install $ 200
                    Meter $ 180
                    Install Meter $ 40
                    ------------
                    Total $2720

I am sure I could have spent more with a professional or I could have save some money and done the handyman work myself.
                    Bob Baldwin
                    2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
                    2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by cngmike View Post
                      You don't know how happy I am for you.
                      It could not have been without your help!!
                      Bob Baldwin
                      2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
                      2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
                        Bob, how about some photos of the new Baldwin Family Fuel Station ?
                        I uploaded a few pictures taken by my phone: http://cngchat.com/forum/album.php?albumid=12
                        Bob Baldwin
                        2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
                        2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Congratulations Bob . . . you've untethered BigOil's monopoly ambilical cord to your pocketbook !!!

With the C3 you've got a reliable 3,000 psi fill for 2,200 hours until the head needs reworked. If you learn of an affordable place where you can get the Fuelmaker C3 head reworked here in the midwest, please share with the cng community.

Again, congrats . . . now just need to repeat your process 10 to 20 million times All Across The USA ! !
                          Last edited by cngacrossusa; 03-29-2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

CNGAcrossUSA,

I see on eBay that there is a company that you can trade in your C3 for a reconditioned C3 for $1953 or you can buy one outright for $5500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuelm...Q5fAccessories

Just do a search on eBay for "C3 Fuelmaker".

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=C3+fuelmaker
                            Bob Baldwin
                            2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
                            2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

I just checked with the local Phil dealer in Northern California

Price for Phill is $4739 + Tax.
                              Installation is 2 - 3K

May qualify for a 2k rebate.

I am out 6K just for the convenience of fillng up at home? Are there other cost benefits that I am missing?

Comment

Working...
                              X