Can a machine shop rebuild the compressor head on a Fuelmaker FM4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a machine shop rebuild the compressor head on a Fuelmaker FM4

Hi Guys. I have a Fuelmaker FM4 in the front of my home that I was able to use for about 14 months. I got a good deal on it by purchasing it with a car and later sold the car. It cost me $800 bucks to install it, then another $425 to get the circuit board rebuilt last August. Then the unit started vibrating and being loud last October, so I shut it off. I talked to 3-4 Fuelmaker repair techs and the consensus is the compressor head needs a rebuild. I found one place in Utah that will do it for $1200. With a CNG station charging $2.39 per gallon 10 minutes from my home, another that I access while on the freeway for $1.95, I don't feel that a rebuild would be a good investment. Doesn't seem like I will save much and it would take a long time to recoup my money. I do like the convenience of making my own fuel, and there may be a small amount of savings.

Anyway, has anybody ever tried taking the compressor to a competent machine shop to have it rebuilt at a lower cost? I can pull it off and take it in no problem. Would parts be the biggest issue? Are the internals like a regular piston engine where maybe a cylinder hone, valve job, new rings would do the trick? Also, I didn't have it bolted down on the cement but it doesn't seem to move and the electric gas line are pretty tight on it.

The piston rings are composite, one piece. Nothing at all like a car engine piston ring. I would not spend money on it if you still have cng for $ 2.39 at the station.

Comment

Thanks for posting and for this site! I am about to tackle my p 36. Be my first time but how hard can it be? I can not seem to find a repair manual so I'll record the whole process. I think I have to check out the unit first to see exactly what is causing it to not build up pressure and time out. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Kind regards, Tim

Comment

Working...
      X