Why not buy a Fuelmaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not buy a Fuelmaker?

HI gang, I'm in touch with a guy selling new in box units of the FMQ2-36 on ebay for under $8,000. Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-in-the-box-MAKE-OFFER-Fuelmaker-FMQ2-36-25-000-HOUR-chip-set-full-WARRANTY-/141719740585?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I spoke with him on the phone and text and he seems pretty straight up, so I am hoping we can make this work for our farm's small fleet (we don't have any CNG vehicles yet but have access to some locally).

As a novice to home CNG refueling, are there reasons why I should not go with a Fuel maker? Our consumption is pretty low so I am interested in a smaller unit to start our project. Thanks for your advice!
    Farmer

You should be able to get about the same price from your area Fuelmaker dealer . If you end up needing warranty service, do you think your local dealer will give comparable attention if you did not buy locally ? I try to buy locally, unless the price is way out of line.

Comment

I sent the ebay listing/ad to BRC FM for more information.

IGS Energy in Ohio no longer represents BRC FM. ECO Friendly in Pennsylvania now covers Ohio.

Seems I've heard of studebakrjack ....if this is the same person/company the customer was not a happy camper.

Doubtful that this company has any ties whatsoever to BRC FM.

Comment

If you're going to pump sweet, farm, well gas, you'll probably have much better success than those of us pumping sour, utility supplied, pipeline gas through a Fuelmaker. In a lot of areas of the country, utility supplied pipeline gas causes black powder buildup inside the compressor, which gums up the bearings and leads to it's early demise - long, long before the expected life of 4000 hours. This black powder/tar buildup from pipeline, utility gas is a bigger problem with an oilless compressor, such as a Fuelmaker, than it is with an oil lubricated compressor. I have two compression modules for my Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 and literally have to rebuild one while I run the other. I have to completely disassemble it, clean all of the parts of the black powder & tar, then re-grease the bearings, reassemble it, and swap them out and start all over again - every four or five months or so; And all I'm running is about 4 gge's per day through a Honda Civic that gets 38 mpg. It's hardly worth the trouble now that gasoline is a dollar and something per gallon these days. If you have clean, sweet, well gas, a Fuelmaker might work for you, but if all you need is a 2 gge per hour compressor, I suggest you look into the Hypres H5. They are made in Oklahoma, USA.

Comment

Hypermilinggx- if you are doing your own rebuilds with off the shelf parts don't expect the compression module to last. Fuel Maker has intellectual property knowledge that is not shared with aftermarket rebuilders. The shortened life is all on your own shoulders.

The black soot in the compression module is from the adulterants not cleaned from the gas at the utility (or...) Some public stations list 90% methane, others 95%. It is likely the ethane/pentane/propane/butane/etal that are causing the issue under compression pressures. It is likely a carbon that does wash into the oil of an oil filled compressor.

There may be a manufacturer or two that will warrant a compressor that is pumping well gas but I doubt it. Every warranty I've seen has a well gas statement. (warranty void statement)

2013 NFPA 52 (latest version) in section 8.3 is all about the VFA (vehicle fueling appliances) of which Fuel Maker is the only AGA certified appliance on the market.

There are peeps here that have other brand compressors at their home BUT (there is much more to that story)

Take a look at the NFPA 52 exemptions list and evaluate where you stand with compliance. (read up on the HAZOP analysis)

Attached Files

Comment

I moved the prior posts which discusses the compressing of biogas to this separate thread in the General Forum:
            http://www.cngchat.com/forum/forum/g...ressing-biogas

Please follow that topic over there, thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X