This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why I passed on Phill

OK blueice, You got me to sign in for my reply about CenterPoint Energy.

I had a booth at the Green living Expo in Mn a couple weeks ago.

CPE provided a CNG 9 passenger van. Here is a picture of the sign they had to promote CNG. Happy reading.
    Attached Files

Comment

In Europe Phill doesn't make financial sense either. We sell them to local governments and government related enterprises. They like the green image. They intend to buy green gas certificates to drive carbon free. CNG is only cheaper when refueling at a big station. Local governments also want to buy NGVs to get people to build public CNG stations. They buy the cars and then find out that having a 14 liter (4 gallon) gasoline tank isn't really working great when there is no public CNG station nearby.
      On the other hand: if you have one, it's really great even if it doesn't make financial sense: always a full (or almost full) tank. It's a real luxury. If you have it on your driveway it's great to show off to your neighbours. Better than spoilers and leather seats.

Comment

One thing I can't understand is why it has to "pencil out". No one seems to question whether fancy wheels, stereos, etc. are cost effective. It seems to me that if you feel it will make your driving experience better you should go for it.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Amfuel View Post
          OK blueice, You got me to sign in for my reply about CenterPoint Energy.

I had a booth at the Green living Expo in Mn a couple weeks ago.

CPE provided a CNG 9 passenger van. Here is a picture of the sign they had to promote CNG. Happy reading.
          Thank you, Amfuel! Maybe next year I will stop by and say hi!
          Last edited by Lakewood90712; 03-04-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Any updated information on different units to refuel, costs, availability?

My Phill after almost 3 years is having issues.

Thank you

Comment

SimiValley You may want to look Green line fuel corp. I bought a Coltri compressor from them and have been very happy.

Comment

(Does it count as a bump if a thread has long been stickied?)

I'd like to thank the OP for putting this thread and info together, and I'd also like to thank Google's spiders for bringing it to my attention. Prior to reading up on compressors thanks to this thread's info I had no idea that there was a world beyond the Phill. Such is the absence of knowledge of the CNG world even in self-professed "car guys."

Originally posted by alpacafarmer View Post
                SimiValley You may want to look Green line fuel corp. I bought a Coltri compressor from them and have been very happy.
                Ah, another contender that I had no idea about!

http://greenlinefuelcorp.com/page4/page5/index.html

It looks like the Greenline GL-5/MCH-5 (I see both names in their materials) would be a decent home option if it's not exorbitantly priced. 2 gge/hr is a nice perk compared to the 1 gge from a FMQ-2-36 or the like.

Furthermore, it also looks like Coltri, the manufacturer of the actual compressor, is also branding it as a "CNG Solutions" MCH-5?

http://www.cngpartners.com/cng-solutions.html

Anyway, from this very forum (via Google, not internal site search!) I see that it costs about $10.5k.

http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....pressor-Manual

For $1.5k or so more than a new FMQ-2-36 for at least 1.5x if not 2x the gge/hr capability the Coltri MCH-5/Greenline GL-5/CNG Solutions MCH-5 seems like it'd be a good deal indeed, at least if it's available and legal.

Comment

just remember the bigger as more in gge per hour means you compressor will last longer as it wont run as much twice the gge 1/2 hours

Comment

After 3 months of working with my condo association I was finally approved to install the Phill in my garage. The only stipulation was that I needed to purchase a 1,000,000 liability insurance policy according to the condominium association ( about 300 a year). Ironically, my own Home Owner policy said that I was coverd under the "dwelling" portion of my Home Owner's policy and no other additional insurance was needed.
                    I had the Phill installer come to my house and design the layout for the installation. It was at that time that I learned the Phill makes a rather loud buzzing soud, in addition to a vibration that could/would possibly be heard and felt by the woman that lives above my garage. The installer said he had had complaints in the past from homeowners that had their bedrooms above their garage. I didn't feel I could take that chance with a good neighbor, so I decided not to purchase the Phill.

Comment

I don't know what the lowd buzz is... There must be something wrong with that unit. The Phill operates at 44 decibels, which is quieter than a room air conditioner. The Phill has rubber vibration pads in the mounting frame to stop that scenario but with someone sleeping directly above. With a BR above a garage I would think there is a sound barrier in the ceiling otherwise it would be annoying to operate the garage door or get out of the car at odd times.

Comment

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/collec...1/#item=186022)

Comment

There is a new BRC Fuel Maker distributor for CA:

C Energy Solutions
                          415-503-7192
                          Fremont, CA

Comment

Ned

Check with mark kimberland at greenfix.com my coltri mch-5 came with a common 220v dryer plug and installation only took about 5 minutes as I did the same as you and had the electrical and gas outlets pre installed when I had my house built

Output is 2 gallons per hour cost was under 10k ....which isn't bad considering i t outputs more then twice as fast as a fmq2-36 and is relatively easy to self service

If you're comfortable doing the install the cost difference between the fmq 2-36 and the coltri mch-5 is very close
                            Last edited by trdscfjc; 12-21-2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Coltri - Does it have the certifications to be legal in the US? CSAus or CSAinternational - For home install does it also require AGA (American Gas Assn) certification in your local jurisdiction?

Does it have temperature compensation? I heard that it does not.

Either one of these questions answered in the negative is an issue. A fire marshal that checks and finds it is not will commit your purchase to the boat anchor class.

Just because people install them doesn't mean they have been permitted and inspected and are legal.

Do your homework. CA is a bit crazy with regulations so don't take anything for granted.

Check the forum threads. There is a link to a series of YouTube videos on maintaining and repairing the Coltri that was posted this morning. Do you have the ability to maintain it?

Check with your fire marshal before committing money to it.
                              The fire marshal is required to be notified per NFPA52. If you decide not to notify your fire marshal an insurance claim will be a nightmare.

Fuel Maker is certified by the CSA (US and International) and certified as an appliance by the AGA. (all models) Oil free, maintenance free operation till rebuild time. The modular design minimizes labor and technical expertise.

Sorry to be a downer but be careful.

Comment

Agree with amfuel...weigh the pros and cons, pro for fuelmaker is certification and permitting (if u do decide to get a permit)
                                The pro for the coltri is price, convenience and fill rate (twice as fast as fuelmaker)

Check this thread to get a idea on the mechanicals and if you would be comfortable with basic maintenance

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthr...3852#post63852
                                Last edited by trdscfjc; 12-21-2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X