FMQ2-36 What's Inside? Teardown photos of compressor, fan, and nozzle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMQ2-36 What's Inside? Teardown photos of compressor, fan, and nozzle

I've never seen a photo of a disassembled FMQ2-36 compressor, breakaway block, fan, or nozzle posted anywhere so here they are. Individual piece counts are (approximately) Compressor and breakaway - 260 pieces, fan - 11 pieces, nozzle - 25 pieces. This is during my second rebuild of a compressor head (two different ones not the same one), and first rebuild of a nozzle and fan. The first compressor, and this nozzle and fan are currently humming away in my driveway. I have two different styles of nozzle. This is the one without the internal stainless ring that covers the ball bearings. The style with the ring has come with my Phill units. My FMQ has the ball bearings in the nozzle exposed. The compressor photo has two items in it that I don't take apart - the 4th stage shuttle piston assembly and the 4th stage check valve disc assembly. I leave both assembled because they are pressed together and I don't want to damage them. Plus you can clean them fine assembled. I don't remove the burst disc from the 4th stage cylinder head (brass pipe plug-looking piece) unless it is blown. The main crankshaft bearings are also pressed in but there is no problem replacing them using a standard shop press. I haven't had a reason to tear into the blowdown vessel yet (this is the large bowl shaped part that the compressor bolts onto). If I do, I'll post that too.
    Attached Files

Re: FMQ2-36 What's Inside? Teardown photos of compressor, fan, and nozzle

Thanks for sharing. Curious what your out-of-pocket costs were to rebuild FMQ2-36 ??

Comment

I am also in Illinois. I recently rebuilt my FM4 compressor and I don't see any differences that I can tell from the photos of your FMq2-36 vs my FM4 although I am sure there are some. My fill nozzle seams to be a completely different design. I am interested in converting mine to do 3600 psi, but the information seams to be limited.

Comment

The rebuild kit with piston rings and o-rings is $550 at Energy Tree. The 2 sealed ball bearings are about $50 from Bearing Headquarters. That is the basic prices unless you need any hard parts. The first compressor I built needed 2 valve discs and a burst disc. The second needed one valve disc, a second stage cylinder sleeve, and new crankshaft bearing assemblies (it is in rough shape). Bjorkmae- your nozzle is 3,000 psi so it is different. As far as I can tell the differences between the FM4 and FMQ2-36 are limited to the safety shutoff and pressure relief systems. The burst disc in the fourth stage head would be a different PSI rating, and both the "controls module" and "electronics module" say "do not interchange" 3000 and 3600 psi components. The controls module has a high pressure sensor in it so it is probably a higher rating, and the electronics module probably has different firmware for the pressure sensing. This is just a guess because I haven't torn into an FM4. Basically it would difficult to upgrade yours without most of the parts for an FMQ2-36 available to use. You would be better off trading it in. It could be done but not without some very expensive (and impossible to find used) parts.

Comment

If anyone has any used compressors that are shot, send me a message because I'd like to have some spare parts. Buying individual used parts one at a time is a pain

Comment

Working...
          X