FM4 not fueling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM4 not fueling

OK, we finally installed the FM4 at a buddies place and it will not run.

Here are the details:

-1500 hrs left
    -Test run in the FM service shop before install
    -gas supply at 2PSI
    - will not run after start button pressed
    -tried reset, no change
    - when you press start, all three lights flash quickly then green flashes slowly.
    - will pulled the control board and swapped it into another FM4 at the FM shop and it ran fine (see #2 above)

Any ideas?

Re: FM4 not fueling

If it runs at FM shop but not onsite, I'd have to guess it's NG supply pressure.

Does the FM shop have same NG supply pressure of 2 psi (which is high compared to normal home pressure which is around .5 psi)? You have pressure gauge in-line right before FM to monitor pressure at both locations?

May need to add a NG regulator to control pressure at the site.

Comment

KSneedsCNG is most likely right. The flashing green light is indicating a inlet pressure problem. Fuelmakers don't like inlet pressures below about a 7" water column or more then 1 psi. Most home gas systems are set around 7 to a high of around 11 inches of water column and the load on the gas system due to the operation of the fuelmaker may drop it below the 7" threshold. Do this at your own risk-----but you might want to try to crank a couple of turns (or more) into the incoming gas pressure regulator at your buddy's place to see if you can get the fuelmaker to stay running. Once it is running correctly, back the regulator down to a minimum level that you can maintain stable operation. If you are actually on a 2 psi system (which would usually only be at some commercial locations) you need to add a regulator to reduce the pressure to a maximum of 1 psi at the inlet to the fuelmaker. I had a 2 psi sytem installed at my home and if your buddy has one, you should see regulators installed at each appliance and the outdoor piping around the meter is usually tagged "2 PSI"

Comment

How close to the meter ? If you are trying to run this off of a 1/2 " gas line 100" out in the yard ( just for example) , you may have problems. Temporarly install a gauge that reads in w.c. and see what happens when you try to start the fm.

Comment

The gas line pressure was boosted up to 2psi from 7" and a large pipe was run from the meter to the furnace then a smaller line, about 20' to the FM. Gas installer say pressure is at 2psi.

I wondered myself if it is too high but the Fm service guy runs his at 2psi at his shop. I may have the gas guy come back to test the line pressure and try a regulator.

Comment

You mention 20' of smaller line running to the FM4, you should check this also to see that it is 3/4" all the way to the flex line connecting at the pump.
            '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
            (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

Yes, capacity is not a problem, the relay does not even click, let alone suffer a shortage of gas.

Comment

Have you verified the voltage to the unit = 220 VAC? (I presume 220 as the later model FMQ's require).
                '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
                '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
                FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Press and hold the stop button. after a quick blinking of the lights you will get a combination of lights steady on or off and maybe flashing lights. Note what the lights status is as this is the error code that can be looked up in a manual.

Comment

yes, flashing green, gas problem. That test was done first.

Next step is to try the gas at 1PSI if 2PSI is too high, as above.

Comment

Good luck.

Some machines work fine at 2 psi and some need to be 7" to 14" inches water column. The Q2s are set for 7"-14" wc. I usually set them at about 10"wc that way if the regulator is a bit funky there is room for error. Not many FM4s around here.

Comment

Working...
                      X