Hey gang, CNGchat needs your help!

For over a decade we have enjoyed providing this little corner of the Internet for folks to discuss all things natural gas vehicles. It is the largest forum of its kind: with some 70,000 posts on over 11,000 topics. But with continued low gasoline & diesel prices and strong automaker support for electric vehicles, consumer interest in CNG has dropped considerably, and with it has visitor traffic here. As a result, Google ad revenues no longer cover hosting fees.

If you find CNGchat to be a useful resource then please consider making a modest donation to support keeping this remarkable pool of knowledge available to the alternative fuels community. Thanks!

See more
See less

Here's a thing, why don't the scuba boys post queries on running their compressors?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a thing, why don't the scuba boys post queries on running their compressors?

Here's a thing, why don't the scuba boys post info on running their compressors? This mystifies me. I mean, there's a thousand scuba compressors to each CNG jobby, and no doubt an equal heap of problems keeping them going. Yet go on a Scuba forum, and you'll not see any mention of the problems they must get. More so when you consider that most of us, Joe excepted , don't go breathing from ours.

Fact is, if you've a small scuba compressor, and you need to get your head around keeping it running, you''ll not find much info.
    Dare I say this, but here's the truth...

This here CNG forum, and a few videos by Coltri on Youtube, is about your best shot.

But why?
    Last edited by BritCNGUser; 6 days ago.

A couple things different with Scuba and NGV is inlet pressure and inerts from natural gas. A scuba unit runs off ambient presser. When you start adding inlet presser the rod load goes up and crates heat on all the internal parts. Over the years I have watched well known compressor companies come and go from the CNG world, they just can't make the jump. with Arial compressor, a well known oil patch compressor company and a leader in the CNG world, they use different materials in their rings for natural gas. another difference is the way you operate a scuba compressor compared to a CNG compressor. with a scuba compressor you have shorter run & rebuild cycles.

I see your point, I don't suppose too many scuba blokes run five hours solid, and if they do, not every time they switch on. Thinking about it, Coltri's diddy MCH6 model is not continuous-duty, For the job intended, one diver's worth of air, that's not really an issue. Those pumps get an easier life.

But whatever the pump, they must wear and go wonky all the same. Judging by the number of tired out scuba pumps on eBay, it seems the simple answer is that in the scuba world, they just don't bother to fix them. Pumps get left to pros, which, and who can blame them?, aren't about to discuss what they know on any forum.
      Last edited by BritCNGUser; 6 days ago.

I actually spend a TON of time o the scuba boards instructing Coltri owners how to troubleshoot and fix their stuff. There are just so many compressor owners, that most problems are already covered in the older threads and you can find what you need before posting a question. There is a bit of machismo in scuba and nobody wants to look ignorant and get beat up for the questions.
        Ray Contreras