Hey gang, CNGchat needs your help!

For over a decade we have enjoyed providing this little corner of the Internet for folks to discuss all things natural gas vehicles. It is the largest forum of its kind: with some 70,000 posts on over 11,000 topics. But with continued low gasoline & diesel prices and strong automaker support for electric vehicles, consumer interest in CNG has dropped considerably, and with it has visitor traffic here. As a result, Google ad revenues no longer cover hosting fees.

If you find CNGchat to be a useful resource then please consider making a modest donation to support keeping this remarkable pool of knowledge available to the alternative fuels community. Thanks!

See more
See less

DIY high pressure Molecular sieve filter cartridge and sleeve (lots of pics)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY high pressure Molecular sieve filter cartridge and sleeve (lots of pics)

This thing is made entirely of 316 stainless steel and weighs about 40 pounds.

Parts used:

scrap piece of 2 inch seamless stainless steel pipe (very thick schedule 80)
    stainless steel inner tube (this is overkill, should of used a thinner piece)

scrap 1 inch x 1/4 inch stainless steel square tube with plastic endcaps

scrap 1/4 inch stainless steel plate

2, 1.5 in. hydraulic caps (sae o-ring boss)

2, 3/8 stainless steel U-bolts

1/4 inch perforated sheet cut into rounds

bending, welding and the 1/4 npt nipples were done and supplied by the welder for 40 bucks

left over felt i had from my coltri filter

stainless steel spring

bleeder valve for emulsion from hydraulics shop

1,C-clip used for retention

total cost was about 300 bucks, 1/3 the price of a similar filter cartridge

in full disclosure i spent almost 1,000 bucks on a tap and o-ring boss broach so i can make more....

20170825_201241 (1).jpg

Lovely job. By rights you should shift these to the scuba boys. I'd take one off you, it looks superior to my own, but as you know I've got 2 x Maxi Filter Towers from new on my set-up. Works well and have not regrets because the first catches 95% of the crud and oil to leave the second clean enough to do the actual work. And come MS filter change I simply swap the fairly clean second cartridge where the first was, and actually change only the second.

Er... 'you're off your trolley', one-short-of-the-full-load - you do know this don't you? Oh good.
      Last edited by BritCNGUser; 08-25-2017, 10:04 PM.