MCH-5 - Eliminating 1st stage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCH-5 - Eliminating 1st stage

As some of you know, I run my vehicles on a private gas well. I am looking to by-pass the 1st stage because my well has 150 psi which is reduced at the well head to 50 psi piped to a couple of homes on my property including the garage where my Coltri is installed. Considering it's time to replace the 1st stage valve ($200), wouldn't it make sense that I come directly off the well (50 psi) straight into the 2nd stage? I am currently creating redundancy by coming from well at 50 psi, reducing the pressure to 2 psi and the 1st stage is bringing it back to 50 psi.

?Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Would I simply leave the 1st stage completely functioning but it would be disconnected via no inlet pressure? Note: the crankshaft is balanced (counter weight) so it appears just leaving it alone while running a homerun from my well into 2nd stage???

?I've attached a picture of my set up. I have a prefilter that can handle 50 psi, so as I stated all I'd have to do is eliminate the low pressure regulator....could use the inlet pressure hole to access the 2nd stage without drilling a new hole of compressor housing. Can the inlet gas filter inside machine handle 50 psi? I would have to check the CFM meter manufacturer to verify it could handle 50 psi because I certainly want to keep track of CFM.

Your crankcase vents into your intake, raising intake pressure to 50 psi raises crankcase to 50 psi ,followed in short order by blown crank seals.

Comment

On a Sulzer or Corkin It can be done simply by removing a valve. The Corkin can only be raised so far because of the limit on crankcase pressure. I would check with the manufacture to see if there is a limit.

Comment

Last edited by BritCNGUser; 07-05-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• cngtennessee
          cngtennessee commented
          Editing a comment
          I will not be attempting this bypass. Agree with your comments, I don't want to mess with it. My CFM came back to specs after I re-ringed the 3rd stage piston and swapped out a newer sleeve.

fyi...your oil looks a little low

Comment

I thought I saw that, always keep mine at max or near it. All done, the thing is not pump-lubed, only splash, so better it gets to pick-up as much oil as it can.

Move that filter boy! Why? Because your MS will be catching a heap of oil which will reduce its efficiency and life considerably. Let your coelescing filter catch it before it gets that far.

Comment

Brit, I'm trying to understand the problem you are suggesting with the placement of his coalescing filter. I assume you are talking about the filter on the left side of the picture with the red hoses attached (high pressure output). Is the problem that it is elevated too high above everything? When you say "MS", I assume you are referring to the molecular sieve that is in the black canister on the input side just past the meter. How would oil get in there?

Comment

It is better to have a moisture separator BEFORE the filter stack. That way the majority of the moisture is removed before it hits the molecular sieve. As you have it now, that separator only starts to work after the filter cartridge has failed.
              Ray Contreras
              CompressorStuff.com

Comment

Thanks guys regarding the moisture separator. I will purchase another one and install right after my CFM meter.

Comment

The higher the pressure the better the moisture separator works, consider putting one at the well head.

Comment

It would probably be easier to install just before regulator considering my well head setup looks like this....

Comment

It is better to have a moisture separator BEFORE the filter stack. That way the majority of the moisture is removed before it hits the molecular sieve. As you have it now, that separator only starts to work after the filter cartridge has failed.
                      Not sure you grasp what Ray, or yours truly is saying. Looks like a Racor/Parker coalescing filter. Its main function is to catch the oil and water BEFORE it hits the MS, After the MS Tower, is a bit 'shutting the Barn Door, after the horse has bolted'. ie you've already screwed your MS covering it in oil. No good at the well either. (Pressure too low for this type of filter). Needs to be between third stage and tower. Sitting as you have it now, until your MS fails, it's not doing a whole lot.

So to put it bluntly, remove it. For what it cost you, you could have put up party balloons, ran some cheerleaders, some string-bunting and had a parade.

I will purchase another one and install right after my CFM meter.
                      In addition, to the Parker, a lo-pressure jobby, then you have the 'belt and braces'.

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/forum/g...-on-compressor
                      Last edited by BritCNGUser; 07-05-2017, 05:41 AM.

Comment

This thread reminded me I should get stock of a first stage reed myself. A third of the price Bauer UK would rush me... cheapest place for a first stage reed valve is here, 70 Euro:

http://www.airkompressor31.fr/en/pie...ischarge-.html

OK, they insist on calling these a 'First Stage Reed valve suction and discharge Bauer N04860 Oceanus Junior'... but we know what they mean.
                        Last edited by BritCNGUser; 07-06-2017, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X