Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coltri diagnostic, (summary to "lurking" thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coltri diagnostic, (summary to "lurking" thread)

Originally posted by flatracker View Post
    " those idiot phill and fm joke pumps" I would go easy downgrading another mans product, you two just spent the last six months, and a sizeable amount of money trying to get your compressors working correctly.
    well considering this machine is cheaper then both a phill and FMQ, and even when my compressor was "broken" its discharge was still better then the both of those machines

no wonder they went bankrupt

Comment

I run my coltri at 30hz or 1/2 of the intended compressor rpm. It is a lot quiter and given that Coltri markets the same compressor as a mch-13, 11, and 8 with the only visible difference being the horsepower of the motor and the rpm it turns at I don't anticipate any issues running mine at reduced speed.
      I haven't found myself in a hurry to fill my tanks but if I was I could always crank the variable frequency drive back up to 60hz and decrease my filling time.

As far as the fuelmakers products I really like my fm4 when it is operating normally. It frustrates me no end when a hose fails or a motor starting capacitor fails and their is little or no ability to source generic parts or service it yourself. The best aspect of the fuelmaker is that anyone can operate it safely. I wouldn't hesitate to let my wife or kids use it but with the colri they wouldn't have a clue about checking the oil, draining the traps, etc. It is relatively cheap and easy to get the fuelmaker rebuilt but aggravating that the factory won't sell a new/remanufactured compressor head to the end user to install themself.
      I have no experience with a phill but based on what I have read I would only use it if there were no other compressors available. They seem like a great way to generate business for fuelmake service techs.

Karl

Comment

karl have you ever checked your kwh versus therms pumped at full speed versus slow speed be interesting to see if there is a efficiency gain from the reduced friction and heat at the slower speed.

Comment

Flatracker,
          I haven't compared kwh to therms but I have noticed the blowby (measured with a dwyer flowmeter) is the same volume at half speed as it is at full speed so with some surprise I conclude it may actually be more efficient to run the compressor at full speed. If I get a chance to monitor volume pumped and Kwh consumed I will post back.

Good question though.

Karl

Comment

good to know karl

Comment

Originally posted by karl View Post
              Flatracker,
              I haven't compared kwh to therms but I have noticed the blowby (measured with a dwyer flowmeter) is the same volume at half speed as it is at full speed so with some surprise I conclude it may actually be more efficient to run the compressor at full speed. If I get a chance to monitor volume pumped and Kwh consumed I will post back.

Good question though.

Karl
              there should be an increase in volumetric efficiency at the reduced speed but whether it is enough to offset the blowby only measurement will tell.

Comment

I have a separate meter on my compressor, mine runs between 1.54 and 1.58 kwh per therm month after month, etc. Although i am running a three phase compressor motor on single phase thru a static phase convertor, not the most efficient setup in the world. When the motor wears out will replace it with a single phase but the compressor came with the three phase and i already had the phase convertor.
                Last edited by flatracker; 08-28-2015, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trdscfjc View Post
                  I think jthompson was looking into adjusting his speed drive, maybe send him a pm
                  My mch-5 came with a 3 phase 50 hz motor and a V.F.D. I found the manual in English on line and figured out how to change the permaters such as the herz. I assumed that I was going to have to adjust the hz, but found that the max hz was already set to 50.

Comment

So if max hz is set for 50 and this is a european machine I assume max is 100% of line input which here is 60 hz and it would be running 20% overspeed here? Has anyone put a tach on one of these to see what it is actually running? TRD is getting 20% over what the machine is rated which is 3cfm, would seem to indicate a 20% overspeed , would be great if someone would actually put a tach on one and see.

Comment

Im using the u.s. model, im not sure what if any effect the newly redesigned head and piston has on efficiency or flow rate.

As i dont know what my flow rate was when the machine was new with the original head im not sure if im running over spec due to the head or not. As my machine is a 60 hertz machine any overspec in flow could be attributed to the new head

Also i am not sure what base inlet pressure the 5 m hr. 3, is based on...it could be based on 1/4 Psi inlet...if so that too could explain why my machine is running over spec while running at 60 hertz
                      Last edited by trdscfjc; 08-30-2015, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Im using the u.s. model, im not sure what if any effect the newly redesigned head and piston has on efficiency or flow rate.

As i dont know what my flow rate was when the machine was new with the original head im not sure if im running over spec due to the head or not. As my machine is a 60 hertz machine any overspec in flow could be attributed to the new head

Also i am not sure what base inlet pressure the 5 m hr. 3, is based on...it could be based on 1/4 Psi inlet...if so that too could explain why my machine is running over spec while running at 60 hertz
                        a simple hand held tach would answer a lot of questions. Wasn't aware U.S. model came thru a polish distributor?

Comment

I got mind through U.S. channels

Comment

I got mind through U.S. channels
                            my mistake i was under the impression yours was one of those off ebay out of poland.

Comment

My name is Sasa. I live and work Novi Sad Serbia. We sell and service COLTRI compressor. I sold 15 of the compressor and so far everyone has worked over 10,000 sati.this problem I had was when the oil level was over maksimum.in compressor is poured 1.2 liters of oil

Comment

Its always good to mark how much oil you take out, that way you know how much to put in...also it takes time for the sight glass to show a indication level this is exacerbated in cold weather as it will take longer for the oil to show the correct level

Comment

Working...
                                X