Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

look what I found lurking in my 3rd stage head (MCH5)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: look what I found lurking in my 3rd stage head (MCH5)

I would look on ebay
    Here is a possibility
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/391031812449...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    I think a cubic foot of gas is about 28 liters.

IIRC Bauer recommends a 1cfm flowmeter for testing blowby. One rule of thumb when pumping air is less than 10% of the compressors capacity in blowby is ok. More than 10% is cause for concern.

Comment

I would buy the biggest scale you could to help monitor subtle changes.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/brooks-rotam...item2a4d530c6c
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dwyer-RMA-8-...item418532faaa This last one looks good as it would measure low flow as well as up to 1.5cfm

Comment

The 3rd stage rings are being evaluated by quality control as we speak, they will hopefully ship tomorrow or Monday at the latest

It's my understanding these are phenolic rings FYI the piston size is 14mm this is important to know if you place a order with LF

Comment

Originally posted by trdscfjc View Post
          Just dropped off

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4810[/ATTACH]
          May I remind you there is a p**n policy with this forum

Gandini make the second stage rings. See attached.

On eblag this side of the pond I see being sold on your side:

2271 BALL TYPE FLEX HONE 14 MM DIAMETER 180 GRIT SILICONE CARBIDE USA MADE

Is thisi the kiddy you need?

Item Number is 191115197359

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2271-BALL-...item2c7f5a7baf
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BritCNGUser; 03-11-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

3rd stage rings should be out today red label for Saturday delivery (tomorrow) both Gabe and Mike from L.F. have been great in helping me get this sorted out, much appreciation to them for their diligence

Comment

3rd stage rings are here

20150314_092505.jpg

Comment

Here's another pic for Brit.
                20150314_093000.jpg

Comment

No change after 3rd stage ring install, will change 1st and 2nd and report back

I did have the cylinder lightly honed so the rings may need to seat a bit but it's pumping exactly the same as when the old worn rings were in there

I think it's the second stage rings (fingers crossed)

__________________________________________________ ____________

Ring install went fairly well, i did pick up a pair of wrist pin pliers from autozone (19$ after tax) the oem rings were pretty brittle but i only broke one upon removal

All the new rings went on by hand i just had to walk them down the shaft but it was pretty easy. The new pack of rings came with 7 so i have 2 left over.

Cost was 160$ for the 7 (phenolic) rings
                  Last edited by trdscfjc; 03-14-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

in the automotive repair world the approach you are taking is called the shotgun repair throw enough parts at it and you will eventually get it fixed. may have easier and cheaper to have a professional do the repairs. is it even legal for the owner to do his own repairs.

DAS
                    Just my uneducated opinion

Comment

It would help tremendously in troubleshooting a problem like this to have a pressure gauge on each stage, which a Coltri really SHOULD have. That makes it similar to troubleshooting my Fuelmaker, which doesn't have a pressure gauge for each stage. All I can do is look at the condition of the bores, pistons, and rings. With a Fuelmaker, the tension of the rings against the bore makes a big difference. They have to be very snug and create friction and drag.
                      Last edited by hypermilinggx; 03-15-2015, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS View Post
                        in the automotive repair world the approach you are taking is called the shotgun repair throw enough parts at it and you will eventually get it fixed. may have easier and cheaper to have a professional do the repairs. is it even legal for the owner to do his own repairs.

DAS
                        I get the sense you are being facetious about the legalities-- but just in case you are not the best reason to buy a coltri is they are so user serviceable. There is a plethora of you tube videos which will walk you through every step of routine maintenance and repair. Parts are cheap and plentiful as well.
                        I really like the safety features on my fuelmaker and the fact that I can leave it running unattended with zero worries. What I hate about the fuelmaker is that parts are hard to come by and there is no documentation available to help the end user take care of simple repairs.

I agree the shotgun approach is not always the most efficient but Joe is probably replacing the rings at close to a factory recommended interval so what is the harm. I see him treating it as an opportunity to get some first hand knowledge and awareness of the inner workings of a machine he is committed to for the long haul.

Comment

That is exactly right Karl, this is a great opportunity for me to learn more about this machine. I have learned more in the last month then I have in the last few years of ownership

The rings are due to be changed anyway and if I do everything all at once I will never know what the problem is I'm posting all this to share my experience with other coltri owners to make it easier for all of us if/when someone else has a similar issue.

Another example of this is my gauge install thread. Thanks to another member I was able to find that micro bore hoses are the best option for gauges, the Ralston hoses I am using now are great because they can be hand tightened and hold over 6500 psi. Little pricey but very convenient
                          Last edited by trdscfjc; 03-15-2015, 02:42 AM.

Comment

20150315_061345.jpg

Back a few pages I mentioned that Carl from L&M compressors told me that the weak link on the mch5 was the 2nd stage wrist pin....he wasn't kidding

Going to take another day or 2 to get to the local bearing shop for a replacement needle bearing and wrist pin, then I can replace the rings

Comment

Can you feel any irregularities in the con rod big end bearings while the piston is off?

What was the second stage pressure guage indicating while running?

If it was within a normal range I would be inclined to replace wrist pin and needle bearing at the same interval as the valves.
                              my mch 13 had the same rod/wrist pin bearing wear issues to the extent that I replaced the rod and big end bearings as well.

This is probably justifies hypermilinggx in his bias against three stage compressors (though I didnt see any wrist pin wear on my ancient three stage bauer when I did the second stage rings).

Comment

Carl stated that this is a result of the wrist pin being too small, apparently if a slightly larger wrist pin was used this would be a non issue.

I notice no such irregularities in the big end of the rod

Comment

Working...
                                X