Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

look what I found lurking in my 3rd stage head (MCH5)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: look what I found lurking in my 3rd stage head (MCH5)

I got my 3rd stage rings from Lawrence Factor and they are working fine. They have around 500 hours on them.

Comment

Originally posted by cngtennessee View Post
      I got my 3rd stage rings from Lawrence Factor and they are working fine. They have around 500 hours on them.
      Did you do any thing to the cylinder before installing the new rings?

Comment

Dave, are your rings phenolic or steel? Did L.F. even give u a option when u ordered them?

also dave, can u post the LF part numbers for the rings all I have is the coltri part #s. ..the LF numbers will make it easier for members to order because LF won't have to cross reference every time someone needs to order rings

Welcome back john, hope your computer stops giving u a fit...
        Last edited by trdscfjc; 03-07-2015, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trdscfjc View Post
          Welcome back john, hope your computer stops giving u a fit...
          Thanks. Had a bad solid state drive. I am really interested in the third stage retrofit, since a am a new coltri owner.

Comment

I will try and find the L.F. part number. I believe they are steel, and no I didn't do anything to the cylinder.

Comment

trdscfjc Thanks for posting that pic of the 3rd Stage Red Head. So i was right, the barrel and piston are all part of the assembly. Not sure I see why they would change the piston too but hey-ho... I did my 3rd stage riings at 1200 hours and they were shot. I'd like a set of LF ring in stock too please, if you have that number I'd appreciate it. I assume LF supply these for a Bauer jobby. Anyone know whcih one?

Comment

I believe the MCH5 is a clone of the bauer junior II

Comment

Here is the part number of the Lawrence Factor ring set I am using in my MCH5 compressor. NP-2211-0376A Link to site: http://www.lawrence-factor.com/Compr...=NP-2211-0376A

Comment

How much where the rings?

Comment

Originally posted by alpacafarmer View Post
                      How much where the rings?
                      1st stage
                      NP-2211-0389A
                      Piston ring set. (60mm)
                      $45.05

2nd stage
                      NP-2211-0371A
                      Piston ring set. (36mm)
                      $47.40

3rd stage cost is 48$ hopefully they ship out tomorrow morning

thanks Dave
                      Last edited by trdscfjc; 03-09-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, useful. I just throw mine in, but... do rings come pre-gapped I've always assumed they do.

Comment

my rings (steel) will be in tomorrow, hopefully this saga will come to a close

Comment

Just dropped off

20150311_094626.jpg

Comment

This would be a great chance to put a flow meter on your crankcase and get a baseline on blowby with worn rings. Then rering one cylinder at a time , taking blowby readings before reringing the next cylinder. I am curous if one cylinder is contributing more to the blowby than the other cylinders.

Let us know how it goes reringing yout third cylinder. I pussed out and bought the entire assembly as I was predicting I would break those tiny rings while installing.

I am also looking for more clarity on the need (or lack thereof) for breaking the glaze on cylinders 1 and 2 to get the rings to seat properly. My local machinist with 40 years in the trade recommended I run a dingleball hone throught the cylinder to improve ring seating.

It is tough to find a dingleball small enough for cylinder 2. I found one at the motorcycle shop for 50 cc cylinders.
                              I assume these rings are cast iron? Does anyone know?
                              The only rings I that I thought would seat without glaze breaking are chromemoly rings in racing 2 strokes but the recommended replacement on those is less than 50 hours.

Good luck with it.
                              Karl

Originally posted by trdscfjc View Post
                              Just dropped off

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4810[/ATTACH]
                              Last edited by karl; 03-11-2015, 11:12 AM.

Comment

The third stage rings i am still waiting on....I have 2 sets of 2nd stage rings because I wasn't sure if the ones in the machine have a scraper on them or not

Karl, got a link to a flow meter?

Comment

Working...
                                X