Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

look what I found lurking in my 3rd stage head (MCH5)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• look what I found lurking in my 3rd stage head (MCH5)

Think this may of been contributing to my slow fill times.

20150224_193553.jpg

This is the 90° fitting on the belt side (back), 3rd stage connects the the horizontal Intercooler tubing to the head

Used a brass wire bore brush and cleaned it and the head out, still waiting to see if the fill times are better

Re: look what I found lurking in my 3rd stage head (MCH5)

That's a lot of crud in the fitting. Are you on "city" gas or on your own well? What type and brand of oil are you using in your compressor? That stuff must also be downstream of the fitting. It's possible that the cooler needs to be removed and flushed out because the i.d. of the cooler pipes are really small. As this is the final stage cooler, do you see any of this in the high pressure filter housing? You should also look at the inlet "tee" to the third stage head and see if there is any evidence crud in the tee.

Comment

might want to check in the head and the the intercooler also

Comment

wow that is a lot of crud. city gas no way contains that much oil and dirt.most likley it is oil from the compressor coming past the rings.sounds like the compressor is getting wore out.rather than using the trial and error method the compressor should be sent back to the factory for evaluation and repairs by a properly trained person. 3600 PSI can easily crush a clogged gas filter.you may have been pumping all the crap into your storage tanks and into your entire cars CNG system. You may have a bigger problem that just the compessor.

DAS
        Just my uneducated opinion

Comment

During one of my conversations with Joe, he has been running Royal Purple Natural Gas Lubricant (NGL) in his Coltri MCH5. Although don't want to speak for him...

Comment

Most likely due to a oil overfill situation. I have since drained the oil and set to the correct level, thing is that the oil fill indicator has a slow read especially in winter.

Comment

An amazing amount of crud in there. I wouldn't have thought it possible. If it is oil then it is breaking down to do that and that is not good. Overfills would not have helped and shorter oil change intervals will however is that 'Purple' stuff you use fully synthetic? There must be more crud downstream too. Even so it won't get past your filter tower.

Comment

Took the intercooler off tonight and it looks pretty clean, soaking it overnight just to be sure. Yea RP is full synthetic

Comment

have you checked the head temp with all the shrouds in place it could be that you are not getting good air flow and the high temp is coking the oil rather than it ending up in the filter

Comment

its a valve issue i think, cfm should be 3.5 ish, im getting 1.25, still trying to figure out what it is

been talking with siai eliminating one thing at a time but still haven't found the issue

intercooler goes back on tonight along with a freshly cleaned 3rd stage piston

Comment

I am looking forward to learning what the final diagnoses will be with this issue. Good luck!!

Comment

i got some metric copper crush washers that look like they are going to work for sealing the bottom top side of the valve (for the oval port)

only concern now is the valve sticking out too far and hitting the piston, steve suggested milling the valve slightly to insure no interference,
                        wont know if that is necessary until i fully seat the valve in the head

been busy with work so i still have not put everything back together, hopefully tonight i will get things back up and running
                        Last edited by trdscfjc; 02-28-2015, 05:33 PM.

Comment

pics please

Comment

steve has them, ill post them later tonight if he doesnt post them

Comment

20150228_120459.jpg

Here is the crush washer I'm using. .rain tonight maybe install in the morning

Comment

Working...
                              X