Natural gas pipe sizing chart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural gas pipe sizing chart

For example as I recall my Coltri MCH5 uses about 230,000 BTU's/Hr.
    So the total distance has to be factored in to get the size pipe you will need for your HRA/CNG Compressor.

This includes from the meter down to the ground (vertically) then over to where the machine is located (horizontally) and the riser up (vertically)

So in my case I could not run much more then 20 feet total length as that would supply 280,000 BTUs, you always want to supply more gas then what your appliance needs.

This is for a single use dedicated line, if you are running multiple appliances alot more factors come into play, therefore it's much easier to run a dual regulator.

This makes factoring the volume easier as well as getting the proper (elevated) pressure to your machine to ensure it operates at peak efficiency (and to prevent damage of the compressor).
    Screenshot_2016-05-02-08-08-34.png

Last edited by trdscfjc; 05-02-2016, 09:22 AM.

Remember to add length for turns. A typical 90 d turn costs 5'.
    So 20' w/ 2 elbows =30'
    Now you're up to 1-1/4" pipe.

BTW - Coltri is not certified by the American Gas Association as an appliance.

Comment

Is this pipe size chart for 7" or 14" WC? You won't need nearly as big of a pipe with 2 psi or more pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Amfuel View Post
        BTW - Coltri is not certified by the American Gas Association as an appliance.

Yea but they aren't garbage machines like the fuelmaker (my opinion), if you need to fill a truck or a car and have 30 gallons who wants to have a phill run 72 hours straight for a full tank or even the bigger toy fmq2-36 to run for 30 hours for a full tank.

No serious users run those throw aways (my opinion, and apparently I'm not alone in this) http://www.littlemetalshop.com/ch4m5/index.html

So sure go with a fuelmaker it's certified and may be easier to get installed if you call your code inspector and fire chief and the governer and the president and any other bureaucratic agency that may say what you can or can't do on your property, so yes get a fuelmaker you will have a full tank in a few days....hahahahah

Just because something isn't certified doesn't make it bad, Bauer Micro(3-4.5gge hr.) isn't certified and that's a 30,000$ machine, the Coltri mch 5-10 (2-4.5 gge/hr.) Isn't certified either and uses many of the same parts as the bauer and costs 5-10,000...

Back on topic....
        Last edited by trdscfjc; 05-02-2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Your folks showed you which side of the road to drive on. Its up to you which side you drive on. Most will choose the legal side.

From the past you said you have never owned a Fuel Maker.

Comment

Originally posted by Amfuel View Post
            Your folks showed you which side of the road to drive on. Its up to you which side you drive on. Most will choose the legal side.

From the past you said you have never owned a Fuel Maker.
            Never owned a Yugo either...

Comment

Originally posted by trdscfjc View Post

Never owned a Yugo either...
              Clearly, you've missed out.

His was white, but my brother had one of these:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spicpix/8429494127

Gotta say your pipe-sizing will account for all the blaming and shaming heartache I went thru' at the kick-off to my ownership. I was way under-sized in supply with more about-turns than a Euro politician, (I'll assume all Yank politicians are wonderful).

That chart gives me about 8 inches... she said.
              Last edited by BritCNGUser; 06-25-2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X