GM signs agreement with Westport

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM signs agreement with Westport

GM and Westport Innovations have signed an agreement on research for natural gas engines. In the past Westport has focused on heavy and medium duty truck engines.

It's hard to say how big the GM commitment is, but this could be a significant development.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Westpo...html?x=0&.v=16

Re: GM signs agreement with Westport

Here's a link to a Reuters article discussing the same topic:

http://www.realclearmarkets.com/news...s_a_boost.html

I have a dedicated Ford F-150 and haven't spent time researching the GM CNG vehicles out there and so I'm not sure if they've been converted. Here's an ad for a Chevy CNG Colorado that they apparently sell in Thailand (again, I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff).

Comment

Yep, my guess is Chevy is "tip toeing" in commitment of CNG in USA starting with a few models and big trucks. IMHO, getting 10% to 25% of OTR trucks, trash trucks, etc. immediately on cng or diesel/cng blend will do wonders to spread infrastructure growth of public cng pumps across the USA.

As for Thailand getting Chevy advertising for CNG small Colorado truck is just blastphemy as Chevy has committed to KILLING the Colorado here in USA !!! My guess is Chevy wants to stick with big profit USA model of full-size pickups selling at $40,000+ for big lunk of steel with same old technology. Chevy should be ashamed of talking out both sides of their mouth!! Overnight the CNG Colorado could be the USA nationwide leader in clean technology small delivery vehicle, IF . . . and it's the same political/bureaucratic/profit greedy IF the "new and improved" Chevy will bring this Colorado CNG small pickup to USA.

Comment

Looking at the article , Lower displacement-turbocharged-direct injection all are the future of automotive internal combustion engines. Direct injection of all fuels will become commonplace very soon.

The end of small trucks from GM and Ford is sad. The only us made small trucks will be the Frontier and the Dakota . The Toyota Tacoma Plant in California is already closed. Tacoma production is now in Mexico ( I think). At least it is a neighbor.

For small CNG Delivery vehicles, the Ford Transit Connect is already available in the US thru several upfitters. It is imported from Turkey. On the bright side, Turkey buys more stuff from the us than they sell . Strange , a trade surplus.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
          Looking at the article , Lower displacement-turbocharged-direct injection all are the future of automotive internal combustion engines. Direct injection of all fuels will become commonplace very soon.

The end of small trucks from GM and Ford is sad. The only us made small trucks will be the Frontier and the Dakota . The Toyota Tacoma Plant in California is already closed. Tacoma production is now in Mexico ( I think). At least it is a neighbor.

For small CNG Delivery vehicles, the Ford Transit Connect is already available in the US thru several upfitters. It is imported from Turkey. On the bright side, Turkey buys more stuff from the us than they sell . Strange , a trade surplus.
          Downsizing is really going strong, and actually even GM is ready for it. As far as small trucks go, this CNG-powered one from Thailand is actually not CNG-dedicated, it runs on diesel and CNG, up to 70% CNG. As far as the demand for a compact pickup or other cargo vehicle goes, I believe GM would actually not just take their light trucks away without a replacement for it on the same class, or a more fuel-efficient alternative - I wouldn't even disconsider the possibilities about a Traverse-based opponent to the Ridgeline...

Comment

Working...
          X