No announcement yet.

Westport/BAF/CE Conversions Dangerous?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westport/BAF/CE Conversions Dangerous?

I recently bought a 2013 Lincoln MKt which was converted by BAF/CE/Westport. It's a very nice car, but they paid no attention to how they mounted the fueling receptacle. It clearly does not meet NFPA 52 in terms of providing a receptacle mounting which can survive a 'drive-off.' In fact, the way they mounted the receptacle, it doesn't even support the normal forces of refueling -- pushing a nozzle on and pulling it off of the receptacle and supporting the weight of the nozzle and hose while fueling. Once I looked into it, it was obvious that the fuel neck had been repaired at least once before I bought the car. I was told that this car was owned by BAF/CE/Westport and then sold as 'used.' They think this absolves them of product defect liability, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Thus far, they have refused to address the issue of remounting the refueling receptacle so that it meets NFPA 52. I would assume this probably applies to all of the Lincoln MKts they converted. Anyone else have a BAF/CE/Westport-converted vehicle where the fueling receptacle isn't mounted properly?
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Shoddy workmanship shouldn't be tolerated. California has long adopted NFPA 52 by way of reference in TITLE 13, CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS, DIVISION 2 CHAPTER 4, ARTICLE 2, SECTIONS 932 AND 934.1 so you might want to take photos of the issue, write a letter to Westport, and cite the statute / put the text in an attachment. The manufacturer of record under the hood should be BAF/CE so I would take a photo of that too. Here is the relevant code:

From NFPA-52
    The fueling connection receptacle shall be mounted to withstand the breakaway force specified in 7.11.6.2.

A breakaway device shall be arranged to separate using a force not greater than 150 lb (68 kg) when applied in any direction that the vehicle would move.

Good luck and let us know how you fare.

Comment

Yes, I quoted that to them. No effect. They seem to believe that, because they don't consider these 'production units' (they were converted for gas industry executives and not intended for sale to the 'public') that they have no responsibility for how they were manufactured.
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

I would get a quote from a reputable shop to fix it, send this to them and let them know you will be seeking a judgement in small claims court. You might also let them know the court of public opinion is not looking too favorably on their refusal to own-up to this problem. Who installed the conversion? Was it at the BAF facility in Dallas?

Comment

Working...
        X