2012 F150, Impco vs Power Fuel Cng conversion kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 F150, Impco vs Power Fuel Cng conversion kit

Trying to get some of your opinions if you had a 2012 f150 5.0 , to go with the IMPCO or the Power Fuel Cng kit, Power Fuel is about to release there EPA certified kit for the 5.0 and it is a plug and play system.
    Any input would be great.
    Thanks,
    Brian

Re: 2012 F150, Impco vs Power Fuel Cng conversion kit

That will be breaking news if F150 model of Ford pickup has EPA certified conversion as up until now virtually all other conversion companies have been concentrating efforts on F250 model.

At Tulsa Gas Summit in Tulsa, OK this past September 2012, multiple conversion companies were there all with F250's.

Comment

Powerfuel is the better choice. The Powerfuel is a cleaner install and factory support is better. I have drove both the 5.0 and 6.2 Powerfuel as well as the Impco and the nod goes to Powerfuel. The 6.2 Powerfuel also
      dynos with zero loss of hp and only a slight loss of torque. No other CNG conversion can claim this. I have not seen the dyno on the 5.0 as it is still awaiting epa cert. I am also a Impco certified installer so I have experience
      with both systems. Hope this helps.

Brian
      CNG Concepts, LLC

Comment

Let's assume that PowerFuel CNG actually gets its EPA Certificate of Compliance for the 2011 to 2013 F150. Let's also assume that IMPCO is willing to ship a kit using its EPA CoC for the 2011 and 2012 F150. Then let's ignore all other factors and just concentrate on the CNG design alone. The PowerFuel bi-fuel kit is clearly superior. You only need to do one simple exercise to convince yourself of this. Look under the hood of any Westport, any Altech-Eco, any LandiRenzo F250, any PowerFuel and you will see the electronic box called the Alternative Fuel Control Module (AFCM). Examining that electronic box, you will notice that it bears a striking resemblance to a Ford Powertrain Control Module (PCM). It appears that these 4 EPA CoC holders all use the identical AFCM. Further, that AFCM is a genuine Ford part.

The other distinctive about the Ford AFCM is the wire count going to the AFCM. Any other AFCM is an intercept box. It intercepts the gasoline injectors and sends them out again. On a V8, This causes the wire count to grow by 16 wires on a typical intercept-based AFCM. The Ford AFCM only interconnects with the existing vehicle with 1) power, 2) ground, 3) CAN+, and 4) CAN-. That is it. No other interconnection.

The PowerFuel uses direct mount injectors (best practice). Impco uses remote mount injectors (works, but not as nice). I can see only minor differences between the F150 kit that Altech-Eco used to sell and the kit that PowerFuel intends to sell.

Again, this simply address the engineering aspect. Cost and service are not addressed.

Comment

Just curious Dearborn...what is the physical difference between direct mount injectors and remote mount injectors. I can't get an image in my mind....

Comment

I beleive the direct mount is where the each injector is "directly" connected to the intake "Specifically on the newer Fords" and remote is like the impco kits where as you have a separate fuel rail and a hose from each injector running to the corresponding cylinder port on the intake.
            Last edited by MeanGreenMachine; 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I am converting a tractor kawasaki FD620D engine to run on CNG and am trying to find all the options for injectors I could use. I am having a hard time searching online for injectors. I know of the bosch ng12, the KEIKIN KN3 and DM4 and the honda 2005 GX GBRemanufacturing injectors. I was wondering are there any other injectors I am missing and should add to my list of options?

Comment

I have 8 3L3E-9G512-AC, part number 040301A gas/cng injectors off a 2004 f150 bifuel, I was told
                when i purchesed the engine it had only 16,000 miles on it. I would not sell less than $600.00.
                I will send pic pm me if intrested.
                DSCN1288.JPG

Comment

Inj3.JPGInj1.JPGInj2.JPG

@2013T
                  I bought a rail set of 4 injectors, Certified to 67R and 110R ISO standards for testing purposes. With shipping and delivery they were under $70, very well constructed, solid. If your tractor is a smaller HP motor, these came standard with 1.5 mm jets for low HP (i.e. 12 HP/cyl) range and can be bored out up to 3.5 mm for a max of like 50 HP per cylinder.
                  Last edited by raskell; 03-19-2013, 06:51 AM.
                  '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
                  (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

Working...
                  X