Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#13139: Product Safety - Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Fuel Tank Shut-Off Solenoid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #13139: Product Safety - Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Fuel Tank Shut-Off Solenoid

General Motors, based on data and information from supplier IMPCO Automotive, has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain compressed natural gas (CNG) fuel systems installed by IMPCO Automotive on 2011-2013 model year CNG equipped Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vehicles. As a result, General Motors and IMPCO Automotive are conducting a safety recall.

The underbody shut-off solenoid connector to a CNG fuel tank may corrode and could form a high-resistance short in the connector, potentially causing overheating or a self-extinguishing flame. If there is a fuel leak or other combustible material in the vicinity, there is a risk of fire.

Correction:
    Improved solenoids and securing nuts will be installed for all exterior tanks and the regulator, and the 30 amp gas fuel pump fuse will be replaced with either a 7.5 amp fuse (for the four tank configuration) or a 5.0 amp fuse (for the three tank configuration). In addition, the wiring routing will be adjusted, if necessary, to eliminate any undue tension on the connector, and anti-corrosion sealing plugs will be installed into the valve body (2013 model year vehicles have these plugs already installed).

General Motors will contact certain fleets directly to arrange for the performance of the required repair. Vehicle owners will also be sent a letter from General Motors advising them to schedule an appointment with a Chevrolet or GMC dealer for this repair.
    Cal Editor aka A.J.
    Lead Calibrator at PCM Calibrators
    ASE Master Certified since 1988
    ASE L1 Certified since 1994
    ASE F1 & A9
    GM Technician since 1999
    GM World Class Technician since 2009
    CSA Inspector

Re: #13139: Product Safety - Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Fuel Tank Shut-Off Solenoid

as I have said before why worry about approved system when they cant get it right. I have never had a problem with my solenoids and wiring catching fire. this is not just one boo boo. bad plugs and nuts missing to secure tanks and the regulator and last but not least the wrong fuse rating sounds like a few people should loose there jobs

Comment

Re: #13139: Product Safety - Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Fuel Tank Shut-Off Solenoid

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
      as I have said before why worry about approved system when they cant get it right. I have never had a problem with my solenoids and wiring catching fire. this is not just one boo boo. bad plugs and nuts missing to secure tanks and the regulator and last but not least the wrong fuse rating sounds like a few people should loose there jobs
      This is John Mitton's system that Impco putchased
      Cal Editor aka A.J.
      Lead Calibrator at PCM Calibrators
      ASE Master Certified since 1988
      ASE L1 Certified since 1994
      ASE F1 & A9
      GM Technician since 1999
      GM World Class Technician since 2009
      CSA Inspector

Comment

I have never had anyone return or complain about our solenoids! much better than Impco from what it looks like!

Comment

Originally posted by caleditor View Post
          This is John Mitton's system that Impco putchased
          I dont know johns work but from what I have seen here I would think that he would not send out a system this bad .I think this was impco taking a cheaper way out as in how can we cut corners and save ten cents on every one sold. come on cheating on mounting nuts for the tanks. john is aways beating on tank safety. so I dont think it was his plan. but still why spend my hard earned cash on a approved system when a co like impco is cutting corners. and I can buy a system that works just as well or sometimes better for a lot less cash and spend a few dollers down at the hardware for grade 8 bolts to bolt my tanks down right and still burn cng safely at least as safe as this system from impco with the tanks not mounted properly (nuts missing from tank mounting) just my opinion and that and a doller will get you a cup of joe LOL

Comment

Based on the phone calls we get every day I am willing to bet that pretty much all OEM bi-fuel engines are cutting corners like this. "factory installed" does not mean "better" when it comes to CNG systems.

Comment

OK, let's set the record straight:
              First of all, my former NaturalDrive company had no part in the final physical design of the Express vans. Our role was in engine & OBD calibrations, and in getting the emissions through EPA and CARB. We were acquired, IMPCO and GM together completed the design and the vehicle was durability tested at the GM Proving Grounds. This included subjecting the underbody to salt spray, humidity, etc. and to my knowledge this issue didn't present itsself.

The recall is on shut-off solenoid connector to a CNG fuel tank. These connectors are integral to the OMB Lyra valve, which is in common use with all tank manufacturers. So anyone using this valve should take care if the cylinder is going to be underbody to use OMB's valves which are designed for external applications. OMB's letter can be found here:
              http://www.qtww.com/assets/u/OMBValveinformationbulletin.pdf

I'm not sure if OMB had the "external applications" version of the valve available in 2010 when this GM program was first underway.

In any event, it's a good thing this was discovered under an OEM-sanctioned CNG vehicle program. NHTSA was notified, OMB got involved, and others in the industry can now take corrective action with other vehicle conversions.

Factory installed is always better. Unfortunately for US residents the choices are very few and are, for now, too expensive as the production volumes are low. We are starting to see lower pricing as more volume gets moving, especially with Ford's interim-step approach of providing full OEM-sanction to qualified vehicle modifiers.

http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....light=dearborn
              Last edited by John Mitton; 08-11-2013, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I might also add, the securing nuts are for the solenoids, not securing nuts on the tanks. There is a nut with an O-ring seal which is being replaced on the tank solenoid, because of the potential for corrosion. I would consult the supplemental service manuals or related documents, since the recall was established.

Comment

it sure looked like the tanks and regulator the way that the sb was wrote with the first line of the correction. glad to know that the tanks and regulator aint falling of in the road

Comment

Working...
                  X