Impco F-250 with a problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impco F-250 with a problem

Questions for the group....I just purchased a 2011 Ford F250 Super Duty CNG (IMPCO Fleet conversion). I live in Roosevelt, UT and travel a lot between Salt Lake City, UT and Grand Junction, CO.
    my questions are...

1). Check engine light came on the very first time I fueled up my new truck with CNG. Diagnostics ran and I was told 2 & 4 plugs not firing properly. It has 48000 miles on it. A local dealer said may be a mixture issue?

2). I smell natural gas anytime I am around the vicinity of the truck. Is this normal?

3). I will be pulling my camp trailer with the truck (primary reason for the purchase) Anything I should know?.

4). IMPCO installed systems....thoughts...issues...?

Thanks
    Kori
    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM. Reason: Moved post to service and changed title

Re: Group Question-What is the max range on your CNG vehicle?

Originally posted by Kori View Post
    ...2). I smell natural gas anytime I am around the vicinity of the truck. Is this normal?...
    Kori, smelling any natural gas is NOT normal and requires immediate attention. It seems like there is a leak somewhere in the system that needs to be fixed immediately.
    2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
    Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
    Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
    Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Kori,

My gut tells me you have a leaky CNG injector.
      As CNGfamily stated, smelling gas requires immediate attention - in the mean time do not park the vehicle indoors.

There are two authorized IMPCO installation and service facilities in Utah:
      http://www.impcoautomotive.com/index...twork#saltlake

My preference would be Alternative Vehicle Solutions for being able to troubleshoot your issues (note they are also a forum sponsor here at CNGchat), and also for being able to go to bat for you with IMPCO on warranty.

Comment

If the vehicle has been sitting for a while, it may be that an injector is sticking. If so, does it need to crank a lot before it starts, acting like it's flooded (in the good old carburetor days)? That is a pretty certain that the gas you smell is from a stuck or dirty injector. NG would be seeping back from the manifold where the CNG Injectors are located, filling the airbox, and passing back through the air intake.

As other said, this could be very serious and deeds fixed ASAP.
        '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
        (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

Hoses are leaking
          Cal Editor aka A.J.
          Lead Calibrator at PCM Calibrators
          ASE Master Certified since 1988
          ASE L1 Certified since 1994
          ASE F1 & A9
          GM Technician since 1999
          GM World Class Technician since 2009
          CSA Inspector

Comment

Working...
          X