convert dedicated CNG to bi-fuel???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert dedicated CNG to bi-fuel???

I purchased a dedicated CNG truck,,after a few months I am realizing that I am very limited in its use because of the few refill stations outside of my immediate area (Dallas)

is there anyway to convert a dedicated CNG Ford F-150 to bi-fuel,,,I know its low compression,,but I am scared to death anytime I have to go out of town I will run out of fuel and have to have a wrecker haul me back to Dallas

I'm to the point of having to sell the truck and get a gas one if I can't find a solution, and I really like the CNG

Thanks for your help,,
    andy collins

Re: convert dedicated CNG to bi-fuel???

It would cost you more money to converted a dedicated CNG truck to bifuel than it would to buy a gasoline truck and add CNG to it. Add extra tanks to your truck. I had an F150 (until it got totaled) that could go 1000 miles on CNG because I filled up the bed with extra tanks
    sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
    SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
    2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
    1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
    2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

Ron Orr also has a CNG truck. Even though the bed was used for an extra tank, he had made a unique setup. He mounted a series of tanks on a palate that could be locked down in the rear of the vehicle. When he needed the extra range he merely loaded the pallet, tied it into the gas line, filled it up and off he'd go.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

What about using Propane as a backup fuel? It's already a gas, the engine's system will adjust the mixture, and Propane has enough vapor pressure to deliver gas to the engine at non-freezing temperatures (50psi at 30 deg. F.). Am I missing anything here?
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

That would be easier than gasoline, however you would be adding tanks and components that would be unique to that foel.

Cheaper and easier to just add more cng tanks, as long as you bought them used.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

take a standard propane tank, make a hose which has a cng nozzle on one end, and plug it in. i'm thinking emergency use only, not a permanent installation.
            02 GX
            01 GX
            03 Crown Vic
            06 GX
            Home Fueler

Comment

Besides, CNG may still not be available where he's going, while Propane is available most anywhere (albeit often weekdays only).
              02 GX
              01 GX
              03 Crown Vic
              06 GX
              Home Fueler

Comment

Just sell the dedicated, and get a bi-fuel. That is the best solution.

Comment

Yeah I agree with CNG Buck and just buy the Bi-Fuel F-150 if your worried about it. You could add the tanks, whichever is cheaper. It probably depends when you bought your truck, because the value on CNG autos seems to be going up lately.

Comment

I have a low mileage dedicated CNG truck (2000 F150's) that was purchased at the local GSA auction. I already purchased new tanks to replace the expired CNG tanks. Were you successful at converting yours to Bi-fuel (CNG/Gasoline)?

Comment

I want to get a CNG cylinder that will give me same capacity as 60 liters of gasoline.which exact cylinder will give that volume? I have done the normal convertion from cu ft to GGE and to liters, but the volume in liters seem to be less than the liter volume written for the cylinder. can anyone help me understand this?

Comment

LOL...thread is nearly 10 years old...I don't know if they are going to respond unless they're getting email notifications

Comment

Originally posted by Egold View Post
                          I want to get a CNG cylinder that will give me same capacity as 60 liters of gasoline.which exact cylinder will give that volume? I have done the normal convertion from cu ft to GGE and to liters, but the volume in liters seem to be less than the liter volume written for the cylinder. can anyone help me understand this?
                          Here goes.

In the US , cng capacity is usually stated in GGE ' Gasoline gallon Equivelent, at 3600 psi and 70 deg. F. CNG cylinders are usually sold as a water liter interior volume . to get a real equal to 60 L of gasoline capacity ( about 15 us gallons ) would require about 200l of water capacity , interior volume. 15gge requires about 170L water volume interior of cng cylinders, but that is only about 80% useable in real life, so you need about 200 L water volume interior size. If you are in an area with only 3000 psi cng available, that would require another 20% increase on top of the 3600 psi gas cyliner size.

If this seems like huge tanks, it is. Compressed natural gas , by VOLUME , has a fraction of the fuel value of liquid fuels like gasoline, propane or diesel.

Comment

This is a new post on a topic that has been discussed many times before. I think folks should educate themselves a little better about natural gas vehicles and conversions before they go to some GSA auctions and wonder why they are buying a dedicated CNG vehicle with low miles at a lower cost than the same gasoline vehicle with the same miles. Range and CNG availability of CNG vehicles are the primary issues and one can solve range with additional tanks at the cost of space and money. Dedicated vehicles are generally best suited to fleet operators that operate in an area where CNG is readily available. I've not seen one person successfully add gasoline to a dedicated CNG vehicle and the costs would be prohibitive (I'm sure one could do it given enough time and money but they could buy a gasoline or bi-fuel vehicle cheaper).

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post

Besides, CNG may still not be available where he's going, while Propane is available most anywhere (albeit often weekdays only).
                              Most people don't know that most U-Haul centers dispense propane 6 or 7 days a week usually at the lowest prices in the area and they give a discount for propane powered vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X