Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

    Just a helpful reminder to all Prius owners that starting today you cannot drive in the HOV solo in CA. We'll miss you guys.
    Last edited by p71; 07-01-2011, 10:05 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

    Originally posted by p71 View Post
    Just a helpful reminder to all Prius owners that starting today you cannot drive in the HOV solo in CA. We'll miss you guys.
    Not nearly as large a benefit in AZ, but those "original" hybrid owners here still have their blue sky plates, and still have HOV solo access... it's been years since new or re-sale hybrids have been allowed the blue sky plates and I don't mind that some originals still have HOV solo access... I've been known to take advantage of the HOV lane myself in my bi-fuel (which likewise has blue sky plates from back in the day; they lumped bi-fuels in with hybrids as no longer being allowed HOV solo access, but AZ didn't do the followup action of forcing us to replace our blue sky plates).

    Finally a Friday!
    2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
    Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
    Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
    Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

      Originally posted by p71 View Post
      Just a helpful reminder to all Prius owners that starting today you cannot drive in the HOV solo in CA. We'll miss you guys.
      Not just Prius owners, but Civic Hybrid and Gen 1 Insight owners. I don't expect to see any big differences in the carpool lanes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

        Probably should have posted this in the Prius Forum... with a link back to our forum.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

          Originally posted by commuter View Post
          Not just Prius owners, but Civic Hybrid and Gen 1 Insight owners. I don't expect to see any big differences in the carpool lanes.
          I've seen some difference in the bay area, so far. Will see after this fourth of July week. Maybe a lot of people are on vacation.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

            i've been driving in the HOV lanes since January 09 when i got my 07 Prius. I drive on my job in Los Angeles County, and i drive a lot of freeway miles in the vicinity, drive all the freeways, all hours of the day, and also have the commute between home in the the Valley to office on Wilshire near Fairfax over the Sepulveda Pass. Because i'm a Prius driver, i've been very in tune to other Priuses. I am sensitized to their presence and notice them, and notice other cars with HOV stickers. I have rarely seen other hybrids in those lanes. I go days and more without seeing one. I see mostly other cars and trucks with passengers. So i don't expect any noticeable difference in The Lanes now. In the week since the expiration of the yellow stickers, by coincidence, i haven't needed to use the lanes much, except driving to work, but when i have more driving in the next couple of weeks, i really don't expect to experience any change now that i'm cruising in my 'new' pre-owned NGV GX. For this reason, i don't really understand why they want to put the yellow sticker people back in the regular lanes. i don't see what the goal is.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

              Originally posted by jaw444 View Post
              For this reason, i don't really understand why they want to put the yellow sticker people back in the regular lanes. i don't see what the goal is.
              The goal isn't to put people back in the regular lanes, it's all about Federal funding from what I understand. The Federal money ran out, so the state cancelled the program.

              I too had a hybrid with yellow stickers, the original hybrid, a Honda Insight. I have been driving in the carpool lanes by myself since 2005. My yellow sticker number was 000365. I also now drive a 2001 GX. In the week since the yellow stickers have expired I have seen no difference in the carpool traffic on the 91, 55 or 22 freeways between Temecula and Garden Grove.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

                Originally posted by commuter View Post
                The goal isn't to put people back in the regular lanes, it's all about Federal funding from what I understand. The Federal money ran out, so the state cancelled the program.

                I too had a hybrid with yellow stickers, the original hybrid, a Honda Insight. I have been driving in the carpool lanes by myself since 2005. My yellow sticker number was 000365. I also now drive a 2001 GX. In the week since the yellow stickers have expired I have seen no difference in the carpool traffic on the 91, 55 or 22 freeways between Temecula and Garden Grove.
                I have also not seen any difference in the carpool lanes between OC and LA on the 405. Most carpoolers are people ridesharing these days. Never saw many gold sticker Priuses in the carpool lanes. When the 405 is congested the carpool lanes are stopped just like the rest of the freeway.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

                  I checked another forum website for hybrid-electric vehicle owners and there was little discussion about it.
                  Jared.
                  Mountain Green, Utah
                  2003 CNG Cavalier
                  2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

                    Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
                    I checked another forum website for hybrid-electric vehicle owners and there was little discussion about it.
                    Maybe they're starting to get upset with the maintaining procedures and cost of batteries and realizing hybrids are not so "eco-friendly" as they used to think...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Prius Owners - Helpful reminder - HOV buh bye day is today

                      Originally posted by cripple_rooster View Post
                      Maybe they're starting to get upset with the maintaining procedures and cost of batteries and realizing hybrids are not so "eco-friendly" as they used to think...

                      What i like about my Prius is, it's cheap to drive. What i don't like about my Civic GX is, i seem to be spending about $10 on fuel every couple of days. I love the car, and i especially love the carpool lane stickers, but i do not like how fast the needle goes down on the fuel tank combined with the difficulty of access to fuel. When i first got the GX, i understood that fuel stations were few and far between and i knew where the ones i'd be using are, and i was totally up for planning ahead and adapting to this. I just didn't realize the car would use up gas so fast. It's still a price i'm willing and glad to pay for the extreme degree to which stress and ill health are averted by access to carpool lanes in Los Angeles, there's no contest, i would pay whatever i have to pay for that, but it certainly drives home the point that CNG cars are not very well suited to the Los Angeles environment in that it's such a big area, with high MPG cars that have adequate tank capacity being more competitive. The Prius was great, just fill it up and drive for days, only cost less than $30 to fill the tank at almost $5 a gallon, and less than $20 a tank before the prices shot up, painless compared to what i was used to with my Accord in the almost $5 a gallon 2008 shocker, %0-$60 a tank, filling up about 3 times ever two weeks minimum. I got the Prius on 1/2/09. But i better not get started on all the things love about my GX, it's a great car, and i was always a Honda lover, now being reminded of all the reasons why. but it's not hard for me to understand why Prius owners love their cars. And they DO love their cars.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X