This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " Please tell me it's ok to fill expired tanks "

With a lot of tanks starting to expire soon, this question is comming up.

Short answer is NO.

If anyone wants to discuss how to, please don't do it on cngchat.

Re: " Please tell me it's ok to fill expired tanks "

If you want a specific answer, it should not be refilled after midnight on the last day of the month and year it expires. Or after midnight 15 years after the last day of the month in which it was manufacturered

Larrycng

Comment

But Larry, shouldn't you err on the side of caution, better safe than sorry, etc.? Since you don't know what day of the month the tank was manufactured on, you should stop using it at 12:00:01am of the 1st of the expiration month. Then you will be assured that you haven't used a tank that's potentially even a minute over 15 years old.
      Last edited by freedml; 05-26-2011, 09:26 AM.
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

So what happens when the tank meets that magical expiration date? Did the manufacture some how program in a cutoff switch that lights up on my dash board, maybe something that blinks "GAME OVER" (cue the Pac Man music). Seems like a pretty big liability for any manufacture of any CNG vehicle to have a critical part that expires and there's no warning to the owner of the vehicle of that expiration date. What if someone never took their CNG vehicle to the OEM for maintenance? How would the owner even know the tank expired? I can see it now, some 17 year old kid that doesn't even know how to check the oil, KABLAM!!!

Comment

That 17 year old kid will drive the car 230 miles at most and then give up...
          02 GX
          01 GX
          03 Crown Vic
          06 GX
          Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by commuter View Post
            Seems like a pretty big liability for any manufacture of any CNG vehicle to have a critical part that expires and there's no warning to the owner of the vehicle of that expiration date. What if someone never took their CNG vehicle to the OEM for maintenance? How would the owner even know the tank expired?
            Warnings??? You obviously haven't paid attention when you pop open your fuel door to fill up. On every OEM NGV fuel door there is two labels. One shows the pressure rating of the system (3,000 psi or 3,600 psi) and the other label shows the expiration date of the tank. Also, under the hood in the engine compartment (usually next to the EPA sticker) it says the same thing. And the big DO NOT USE AFTER label on the tank isn't a big enough warning? Ignorance is no justification for liability. It is the vehicle operator's responsibility to fully understand limitations of THEIR OWN VEHICLE. You can not rely on someone else.
            Jared.
            Mountain Green, Utah
            2003 CNG Cavalier
            2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
              Warnings??? You obviously haven't paid attention when you pop open your fuel door to fill up. On every OEM NGV fuel door there is two labels. One shows the pressure rating of the system (3,000 psi or 3,600 psi) and the other label shows the expiration date of the tank. Also, under the hood in the engine compartment (usually next to the EPA sticker) it says the same thing. And the big DO NOT USE AFTER label on the tank isn't a big enough warning? Ignorance is no justification for liability. It is the vehicle operator's responsibility to fully understand limitations of THEIR OWN VEHICLE. You can not rely on someone else.
              I just went in the garage to check :-) fwiw, my 2002 Civic GX does NOT have that sticker on the fuel door. There is a sticker stating that it is 3600psi, and a note to check the fuel tank "for inspection and sevice life." (which you cannot see without removing the trunk barrier/carpet). The expiration date is posted on the emissions sticker under the hood, but in the normal fine print you would never see unless you were specifically looking for it. Just sayin, it's not so obvious...

Comment

Originally posted by here for the HOV lane View Post
                I just went in the garage to check :-) fwiw, my 2002 Civic GX does NOT have that sticker on the fuel door. There is a sticker stating that it is 3600psi, and a note to check the fuel tank "for inspection and sevice life." (which you cannot see without removing the trunk barrier/carpet). The expiration date is posted on the emissions sticker under the hood, but in the normal fine print you would never see unless you were specifically looking for it. Just sayin, it's not so obvious...
                Sometimes the "Best if used by..." date on food "is not so obvious" but people still look for it and throw it out when that date is past. It doesn't take much to remove the trunk barrier/carpet and look for the DO NOT USE AFTER (DATE) on the tank and then reinstall the trunk barrier/carpet and keep that date in the back of your mind. Also why your there, pay attention to the note that reads, "This cylinder should be visually inspected every 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first or immediately following an accident or fire."
                Jared.
                Mountain Green, Utah
                2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

If you needed a screwdriver to access the 'best by' date on food then you'd have a good point. But once you require a user to go beyond what the average consumer does, then the info is not reasonably available. The average consumer probably rarely if ever opens the hood of the car any more. Heck, 'best by' dates on food used to be in code not that many years ago.
                  02 GX
                  01 GX
                  03 Crown Vic
                  06 GX
                  Home Fueler

Comment

Are you saying that with each Honda Civic GX sell, the dealership should stamp the expiration date of the tank on the buyer's forehead (actually should stamp it backwards that way it can be read when looking the mirror)? I agree that the owner should know the expiration date of the tank in their NGV. If Honda doesn't put the expiration date of the tank in a easily accessible spot, then maybe someone should mention to Honda about (Are you reading this Eric?).
                    Jared.
                    Mountain Green, Utah
                    2003 CNG Cavalier

Comment

Sorry to be so long in replying, been out playing "retired ol fart"
                      There was a lot of discussion, including cylinder manufacturers, during the early days of cylinder inspection about "when" (chime in AFV Man). The consensus was the last day of the month. After that it would be the next month and there would be no question. The other consideration is that I don't know of a a tank that goes into service the moment it comes off the assembly. We (whoever "we" is) thought we might cut the consumer some slack ?????

That is the best I can do

Comment

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
                        I never used myself as the example, I used a 17 year old kid, but now that you mention it my 2001 Honda GX doesn't have an expiration sticker on the inside of the filler door. I'm now thinking about sueing Honda (JK).

If the average consumer doesn't even know how to check their oil, how in the world does the OEM expect them to know when their tanks expire, or for that matter where to look for an expiration date? This is not a "normal" item that expires on your everyday "normal" car. I know that most CNG vehicle owners are not your average owner, but as gasoline goes up more and more, consumers are looking for alternatives and CNG is a viable option. All I'm saying is that if the OEM's are expecting that the average "Joe" consumer is going to look for some expiration date, their sadly mistaken and setting themselves up for a few good size law suits.

Comment

I noticed another interesting thing on my 1998 Crown Victoria. On the sticker in the engine compartment it says "do not use tanks after 12/2012", which makes a lot of sense,
                          since the car was produced in 12/97, but on the tanks itselves it states 12/2011 as expiration date. Since the car has only 67k miles and was first registered sometimes in mid 1998s, I will definitely drive it at least another two years.
                          My 2001 Honda Civic with a tank expiration date of 2016 has 189k miles now.
                          Both cars are dry west coast cars without any accidents.
                          Why would I retire my Crown Vic with maybe 80k miles observing the tank expiration date, but my Honda might have 300k miles when the tanks expire?
                          It does NOT make any sense to me at all.

Comment

As has been stated the tanks expire from the date of manufacturer. Check the tank and see if there is a manufacturer date ( I think Ford was using PST cylinders, Press Steel Tank at that time) so they may have been around from the previous year's manufacturering run. The Ford were finished by an outside upfitter (QVM). You might want to find some replacement tanks if the car is worth running for more year.

The bottom line to your last question is that you would not want to be in violation of title 13, section 934.1 of the California Administrative Code.
                            Not all laws make sense to everyone -- myself included

Larrycng
                            Last edited by larrycng; 05-31-2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

since alot of GX are having tanks expired, where do we get replacement tanks or have them replace in southern california?
                              thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X