X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• siai47
    started a topic Leaving the CNG fold

Leaving the CNG fold

After many years of owning and driving CNG fueled vehicles, I finally sold my last CNG vehicle and compressors to a member that I met on this forum. This ends a long journey into CNG and an association with this forum. I gained a lot of knowledge from this forum and it's members and hope I gave some back over the years. So it was kind of sad for me to see my 2015 Impala, my last CNG vehicle pull out of my driveway forever. However, on a brighter note, the purchaser (who is still a member of this forum) was really happy with the purchase and I am sure will give it a great home for many years. I wish him and his family well.

When I first got involved with CNG vehicles, I came from electric vehicles which at the time were extremely range limited and not very reliable. The electric vehicle boom had gone to bust with the overturning of the CARB ruling in 2003 that mandated alternative fueled vehicles make up a certain percentage of all vehicles sold in California. In addition, the Federal rule that a percentage of vehicles used by the government had to be "alternative fuel" vehicle was decimated when the courts ruled that ethanol added to gasoline became a legitimate alternative fuel. Most advances in vehicle design slowed or stopped because of those rulings. However, for a time, government agencies were getting rid of there alternative fuel vehicles in droves. Most of my vehicles came from government auctions at very reasonable prices. All my Cavaliers and my Express van came from those auctions. My Civic GX, my Silverado and Impala came from dealers. Compressors were purchased new or used from various sources. For awhile, it looked promising for CNG's future. As time went by, the bright outlook for CNG fueling station build outs on major highways pretty much stopped. Also, the pricing structure required to pay for a new station made the price per GGE of CNG to be similar (or higher) than gasoline. I had moved to Florida where high natural gas prices made it impossible to justify use of CNG. To compress the gas for use at my home cost about $3.10 per GGE vs. $.90 per GGE when I was based out of Michigan. Also, the source of new vehicles and used has literately dried up. This is way I made my move.

As I sold off my CNG vehicles, I replaced them with various BEV or Hybrid vehicles. Been through the Nissan LEAF (2), the Mitsubishi I-MiEV (2), Tesla Model S and a Chevrolet Volt. I currently own a Tesla Model 3 and replaced the Impala with a 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid. In each one of the electrics over time, range and reliability has improved. It looks like the future is electric at least for me.

So its goodbye for now. I will monitor this site for awhile. I have tons of CNG parts for GM that I will be putting on E-Bay this fall when I get back to Michigan to figure out what all I have. For you guys left here, thanks for all the information and for the administrators, thanks for providing CNG chat.

• wildhorse1966
    replied
    if honda would have produced a current model civic cng i would own 2 of them instead i ended up getting a 2019 Honda clarity for a smoking deal about 6 weeks ago i have put 5500 miles on it already 3000 miles of that was a trip from Anaheim Ca to Vancouver BC round trip i spent $220 in fuel and i didn't have to hunt for fuel stations i am now looking for another clarity to replace my last CNG civic

Leave a comment:

• cngmike
    replied
    Sadly the CNG industry has turned its back on the light duty segment.

Leave a comment:

• John Mitton
    replied
    Ah, we will miss you! But the inevitable is coming to pass now that it has been a few years since the last OEM consumer CNG vehicle was produced in the US. As Bill said, natural gas for vehicles hasn't gone away: its just now more prevalent than ever in heavier vehicles by way of trucks, buses, marine ships and even locomotives.

So for now we will keep the 'ol chat board running for as long as we can afford it. Hope you will continue to pay us a visit every now and then to share your wisdom.

All the best!

Leave a comment:

• 300mileclub
    replied
    The fuel hasn't gone away. But the powerplant charging your batteries likely will be using natural gas. Natural gas has become a world commodity in the form of LNG . . world maritime news report enormous investments in dual-fuel ships (LNG mixed with diesel) and powerplants served by port gasification facilities. We will likely see the vehicles move to areas of the country - OK, TX, CA - where fuel is easy to come by. And stations in other parts of the nation have begun to disappear.

Your posts provided a wealth of first-hand knowledge of interest to the CNG community. You will be missed. (by the way, the Tesla should probably be in an automotive performance class of its own.)

(Three years ago this month Electric Cars Or CNG Vehicles? The Sequel

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#7fa5c5b16edf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X