Announcement

Collapse

Hey gang, CNGchat needs your help!

For over a decade we have enjoyed providing this little corner of the Internet for folks to discuss all things natural gas vehicles. It is the largest forum of its kind: with some 70,000 posts on over 11,000 topics. But with continued low gasoline & diesel prices and strong automaker support for electric vehicles, consumer interest in CNG has dropped considerably, and with it has visitor traffic here. As a result, Google ad revenues no longer cover hosting fees.

If you find CNGchat to be a useful resource then please consider making a modest donation to support keeping this remarkable pool of knowledge available to the alternative fuels community. Thanks!

See more
See less

CNG Systems and cold weather

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNG Systems and cold weather

Weather has been cold here in Kansas the past couple of weeks. I'm once again having cold weather related issues with the 2010 F150 with IMPCO system and 2002 bi-fuel cavalier (factory system but believe GFI). The 2000 Honda Civic GXs seem to tolerate the weather better.

Got the retrofit and updated (newer heated fuel rail) IPMCO system a couple years ago on the 2010 Ford and this time of year my wife just turns off the CNG system and uses gas because of all the cold weather problems (starting issues, switch-over issues). I don't think the newer heated fuel rail has solved all the low temperature problems but it is better than the original. Still having issues below 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

Daughter has starting issues with the 2002 bi-fuel Cavalier below the low 20s. Big deal if you start the car and then turn off shortly after start and then try to restart. Almost tempted to pull the CNG fuse until the weather is warmer. Same problem on the 1999 bi-fuel Cavalier I had years ago.

2 - 2000 Honda Civic GX does not appear to have any cold weather issues but I seem to have more injector failures in the winter months.

I'm already ready for winter to end.

Being up here in da nort country, I try to avoid public fueling when ever possible in the winter. I have home fueling and a dryer on the gas inlet line to the compressor.
    Public fueling at many locations (in my experience) has gas that is too wet for winter use, causing start, injector and regulator issues. You gotta have dry gas in the cold.
    Also, I've heard of southern born vehicles with moisture in the tank. It doesn't really cause an issue in the south but when driven or sold to a north country fella the problem arises. An Iowa college had an auction pick up that came from the south.- wouldn't start at 19 degrees they said. Push it in the garage and let it warm up, it. started fine.

Comment

Working...
    X