Not switching from gas to CNG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not switching from gas to CNG

New CNG user...just purchased a 2012 Dodge and it has started on CNG a few times but runs rough before switching back to gas. Runs 90% of the time on gas and stays there. Suggestions? Problems?

Welcome to CNGchat sp372!

I assume this is an OEM Dodge truck (with the two CNG tanks mounted low on the truck bed floor)?
    Are you getting a check engine light? Any OBD engine codes?

Comment

Yes it is a OEM and yes the tanks are located in the truck bed. The check engine light is on steady and flashes when put under load such as passing or downshifting. I have not had it scanned yet. Darn.

Comment

Do not drive it on CNG at all until fixed if the check engine light is flashing. That is a bad misfire that can quickly ruin catalytic converter$, like in minutes. Pull and look at the spark plugs, coils etc. CNG can misfire when gasoline runs great with weak ignition components.

Comment

Thanks for the information. How do I not run it on CNG? Is there a switch I'm not familiar with to keep it on gas vs. CNG? It does seem to be significantly under powered as well. Maybe a plugged converter?

Comment

Originally posted by sp372 View Post
            Thanks for the information. How do I not run it on CNG? Is there a switch I'm not familiar with to keep it on gas vs. CNG? It does seem to be significantly under powered as well. Maybe a plugged converter?
            Although I have never seen a late model Dodge bi fuel in person. Don't know if you can select gasoline before start. My caviler defaulted to cng unless tank empty, below freezing, or had the high press valve manually shut.

Every Factory cng and bi fuel vehicle I have owned always had a manual high pressure fuel shutoff valve. Usually a 1/4 turn valve with red handle under the vehicle.

On CNG when properly running has a small power loss. .

Comment

Working...
            X