No announcement yet.

CNG carpool stickers in CA no more?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red stickers for 2006 and newer cars only. I'm specially devastated since I spent a coin and much time and design to replace the 5 expired tanks in my vic with a single type 4 tank just before the hov law was revised. Anybody want a cherry 03 vic with 2032 expiration date tank?

Comment

• gardenfairy
      gardenfairy commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully you can find someone here or list it online for broader exposure. Oklahoma seems to have/had a decent amount of CNG cars for sale.

I know I'm not the only one looking out of state now for a never stickered in CA car judging by how fast these cars are being snapped up out of state. Anyone have any recommendations for a shipper? Have to factor that in to the buying price now.

Comment

Originally posted by gardenfairy View Post
      Has anyone received red stickers after purchasing an out of state CNG yet?
      I know I'm not the only one looking out of state now for a never stickered in CA car judging by how fast these cars are being snapped up out of state. Anyone have any recommendations for a shipper? Have to factor that in to the buying price now.
      Gardenfairy,

I went out of state in September (Texas), and picked up a 2014 Honda GX. Had a little more miles than what I wanted, but I saw the demand coming. I thought about a carrier, but read some horrer stories (for the cheaper $600) ones.... My seller was literally a little old lady, who lived in Dallas. She worked with me on price, time and availability. It was advertised on Craigslist and her son was WELL AWARE of any and all scams that exists (which was a red flag to me - at first). My cost was probably equal or maybe a bit less to having it shipped - but I actually enjoyed the trip. Yes, I went and got it.

One way flight to Dallas - $180,
      Two nights in Hotels, approx. $200,
      Gas approx. $100
      Food/snacks/beer (at night of course) $125? = what? $600ish...

2014 Honda Civic CNG (NON-Nav) has the Honda assist (Big Screen), Lane assist camera, the P-leather seats. Car had 58,000 and BRAND NEW TIRES when I picked it up.
      Paid $10,000

Flew out of LAX EARLY Friday morning, Ubered (oh yeah, $18) to Wells Fargo met the sellers, checked out the car and drove home. I was home to watch the second NFL game on Sunday.....
      I'd do it again in a heartbeat.... So you think, it may not be worth the hassle, right? Just have it shipped.... It's a LOT tougher to return a car out of state than it is to buy one from out of state... Cash in hand... Being out $400 if I didn't like or want to purchase the car (Round trip ticket) - I felt was worth the gamble. By me flying out there to look at the car, inspect it, TEST DRIVE IT, was worth the chance.... I was lucky and the grandma who sold it to me was VERY ACCOMONDATING. Pictures, records, VIDEOS, and anything else I could have thought of. Wells Fargo was key also. The son would NOT accept a cashiers check (I don't blame him at all), I didn't want to carry that much cash (through the airport), so I set it up where we would MEET at a Wells Fargo, and I would get a cashiers check at the bank in Dallas - real time. It worked out for me....

BTW - Today I am mailing my application for the Carpool stickers. Apparently they have come out with a NEW COLOR - PURPLE-ish. By not getting the carpool sticker when I purchased and waiting, I'll get almost another year out of sticker. If you applied and received stickers in (RED) 2018 - they expire Jan 01, 2022 (3 years) By waiting, I'll get the NEW color sticker and they'll be good the rest of 2019 AND EXPIRE ON Jan. 01 - 2023..... (That's how I read it....)

Now I'm having trouble figuring out the "low-Income clause of this NEW Bill. In 2020, Low income families can apply for a RED sticker on "USED Electric??" vehicles? I cant's determine IF these cars have already had a White/Green sticker prior? Anyone care to respond? If this is the case, My son who is going to school is DEFINATELY "low-income" and will qualify... It's a boondoggle for the low income family's.... Buy a car, apply for new sticker, and sell the car.... Where's the accountability???/ Well, lets wait and see......

Later...

BTW 2 - ROLL TIDE!!!
      Last edited by CrimsnTide; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

I called it! Was actually hoping for blue not purple.

Next year will be blue and will ride out 2024... or until you basically have CA toll you to death.
        Silver 09 GX
        Phill G:1.5

Comment

I just bought a 2012 cng civic in Utah and drove it back to Thousand Oaks a few weeks ago. Took about 10 hours to drive home and maybe 50 bucks in fuel and food. Gotta fill out the DMV paperwork for the purple (???) stickers now. I saw quite a few on ksl.com under the auto classifieds in the Salt Lake City area.

Comment

avoid traffic move out of California to the country lower taxes cleaner air less bs seems easier than trying to comply with all the crap you all have out there just my opinion that and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee and I thought it was bad in 79 when I was out there in Watsonville

Comment

Cowboy - Well, to be honest, I have thought about it and will probably move eventually. However, I have to eat, and I do like where I live and the house I live in. It's not a huge spread but I'm comfortable. I do think about moving out, because I don't like MOST of the BS the state comes up with. However, for me, I also try and think of what I would do for a living/ ca$h if I did move out of state. I can't ride a horse, I can't even grow tomatoes in my own back yard and I don't know what kind of food sheep eat. Moving out of Calif. is probably going to happen, but will definitely be on my terms. Born and raised in Orange County, I cannot tell you how many times I have literally snow skied in the local mountains (not great, but it cures the itch) and surfed the local beaches in the SAME DAY, SAME WEEKEND, SAME WEEK..... The ongoing issues of immigration, sanctuary cities/States, guns, taxes, cost of living, are definitely hard to swallow. But with my "educational background' and business sense makes the odds more likely that I would struggle to make ends meet, if I moved away. So right now, I'll stick it out. It is a lot of crap, but I try and make it worthwhile....

Comment

Ok, just mailed my form for stickers yesterday. My car got here from Kentucky a week before the paperwork. Had to drive with the regular folk this morning, but traffic was light most likely because school hasn't started back yet. So glad to have my daughter with me on the return trip which was quite heavy. I saw some poor souls with expired HOV stickers in the ugly standstill which will be me next week. Hopefully those stickers come quick. My husband is afraid to buy another car until my stickers come in the mail.

Comment

Ok, just mailed my form for stickers yesterday. My car got here from Kentucky a week before the paperwork. Had to drive with the regular folk this morning, but traffic was light most likely because school hasn't started back yet. So glad to have my daughter with me on the return trip which was quite heavy. I saw some poor souls with expired HOV stickers in the ugly standstill which will be me next week. Hopefully those stickers come quick. My husband is afraid to buy another car until my stickers come in the mail.
                  GardenFairy - Please update when you get stickers. For some reason, I think I read it was "about" four weeks for the process.... Seems Like a LONG time. I was VERY anxious to get my paperwork sent off. I read the website carefully and it read "...when the stickers are issued..." . So I sent my application off early (Dec. 28th) and am really hoping for a FAST turnaround. Figured they wouldn't receive it until AFTER the 1st.

I still "cheat" a little and hop into the HOV lanes in the known bad areas of traffic, (my apologies), but I still feel I am allowed. I've complied and pretty much have followed their rules. Hopefully I can "convince" the officer who pulls me over I will be in compliance. I've got copies of my application, but I know it won't matter. I'll act stupid. (Well, I may not be acting). Being allowed to drive in the HOV for so long now (legally), it does make me feel uncomfortable. I don't know how these "cheaters" do it all the time. It's chancy - but so is driving on the freeway. Good Luck!!

Comment

• gardenfairy
                    gardenfairy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I sent my form on Jan. 2 certified mail. According to tracking it was just received on Jan. 9. I was late to work by two minutes on Tuesday and I have to clock in. Thursday I left a little earlier but started panicking with the traffic and jumped in to the carpool lane at the second entrance and jumped out where it starts opening up. Risky to do so, but I already had a story formulating for the officer. I confessed to my husband and he said he had stopped to fill up and realized he didn't even know how to get back on the freeway except for a carpool entrance and got out at the first exit. I hope there would be some compassion. Thankfully my weekend commute will not require cheating or giving up more sleep.

The Special Processing Unit at dmv HQ does the stickers and my experience has not been good in the past. With the end of year holidays and mob of Tesla model 3 sticker applications, could be a month. I hope you have proof of mailing , as the dmv is not accommodating when it comes to cut off dates. The good news is Tthe CA DMV has a new director , the prev. got fired , uh, make that " the governor strongly encouraged " her retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsnTide View Post
                    Late post - but the time is coming for us "WHITE sticker" commuters. - The way it was "explained" to me and how I understand it to be is as stated above: The constraint is when the sticker was ISSUED, not when the car was purchased. If you have a 2005 Civic GX that's never had a California sticker issued to it before, you could get one right now which would then allow you to get the new sticker after Jan 1 2019. Or at least that's how I'm reading it. The approved vehicles list for stickers is still the same. There's no cut off except for 2004 and older. Link:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

It does read on the page:

Red Clean Air Vehicle Decals: Zero Emission, Plug-in Hybrid, CNG and LPG Vehicles

In March 2018, the California DMV began issuing a new single-color red decal for qualifying vehicles pursuant to CVC §§5205.5 and 21655.9. The new red decal will be valid until January 1, 2022, and are issued to vehicles that meet California's super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) evaporative emission standard, as well as vehicles that meet the state’s enhanced advanced technology partial zero-emission (enhanced AT PZEV) vehicles or transitional zero emission vehicle (TZEV) standard. Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and compressed natural gas (CNG) fueled vehicles may also qualify.

what I found to be truly disappointing, is that you CANNOT find a way to see if a car has ever been "stickered". Ive been turned down twice inquiring as to the status of a vehicle and it's ability to get a RED sticker. My solution as referred to earlier - is to go out of state to pick up a "newer CNG car. Doing a AutoCheck or CarFax can petty much tell you when and where a car has been registered. It's a PITA, but I'm willing o do it for a RED sticker and HOV access for the next 3 years - minimum.... Salt Lake City is always a nice place to visit....
                    just take a photo and run it through a vinyl printer stick it on and ride or pull it off the sample above

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                      avoid traffic move out of California to the country lower taxes cleaner air less bs seems easier than trying to comply with all the crap you all have out there just my opinion that and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee and I thought it was bad in 79 when I was out there in Watsonville
                      Cowboy , I would, but have been brainwashed, drinking the California Fluoridated water for 60 years , so I am programmed to stay , and pay outrageous fees and taxes.

Comment

Working...
                      X