Announcement

Collapse

Hey gang, CNGchat needs your help!

For over a decade we have enjoyed providing this little corner of the Internet for folks to discuss all things natural gas vehicles. It is the largest forum of its kind: with some 70,000 posts on over 11,000 topics. But with continued low gasoline & diesel prices and strong automaker support for electric vehicles, consumer interest in CNG has dropped considerably, and with it has visitor traffic here. As a result, Google ad revenues no longer cover hosting fees.

If you find CNGchat to be a useful resource then please consider making a modest donation to support keeping this remarkable pool of knowledge available to the alternative fuels community. Thanks!





See more
See less

CNG carpool stickers in CA no more?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    They have been issuing white stickers after this new law went in effect. I got them for my never-previously-stickered BAF Grand Marquis in early 2018. I don’t know if the whites are only being issued for “legacy” vehicles at this time (given that I see model 3 Tesla’s and Chevy bolts with reds already) but that’s my hunch

    Comment


    • #17
      Good LA Times article on the issue here:
      http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...917-story.html

      Comment


      • #18
        Follow the money, baby. Follow the money....
        1. In the end, who is going to benefit most?
        2. And if you categorize it, it's definitely not for cleaner air.... It's for greener ca$h.

        https://votesmart.org/candidate/camp...m#.W6D90mZlDcs

        Comment


        • #19
          I am sure we have some lawyers on this forum somewhere.

          What are the chances of suing the state for creating a law that does not provide for equal protection under the law.

          How can a used Civic GX purchased in Utah get a Red Sticker, but my California owned and driven Civic loses the sticker? They are both the same car.

          Comment


          • #20
            To unclog the carpool lanes...fewer people will go buy a car from out of state than there are currently grandfathered in

            Comment


            • #21
              Raw opinion of a lifelong Los Angeles County resident, driving longer than "Diamond Lanes" aka carpool - HOV have existed: The carpool lanes are a failure. Convert them to narrow lanes for motorcycles and narrow microcars ( That do not exist at this time , micro cars of Europe and Asia are too wide ) , or just convert them to general use lanes.
              Last edited by Lakewood90712; 09-21-2018, 06:11 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
                Raw opinion of a lifelong Los Angeles County resident, driving longer than "Diamond Lanes" aka carpool - HOV have existed: The carpool lanes are a failure. Convert them to narrow lanes for motorcycles and narrow microcars ( That do not exist at this time , micro cars of Europe and Asia are too wide ) , or just convert them to general use lanes.
                Sorry to fall back on a previous quote, but there is just no money in that - for anyone. Especially the auto industry.... I believe they would try and convert HOV lanes to toll lanes before a "general use" lane. But I would think the cost is the biggest setback outweighing the "profits"... Although I have driven the CNG cars since 2004, I tend to agree about the HOV lanes being a failure. I have used them for quite awhile now and will miss them if and when they are not accessible, but looking at the big picture, it hasn't been a great success....

                Comment


                • #23
                  Follow the money , YUP . Parts of the 110 and !0 were converted to toll lanes for any vehicles about 6 years ago. They often exclude all vehicles with less than 2 occupants , both toll and clean air with sticker when it clogs up. Sometimes the 110 HOV is slower than the main freeway lanes
                  Last edited by Lakewood90712; 09-24-2018, 02:37 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I have been driving a Civic CNG the last three years in Southern California. As most if not all of you know a CNG vehicle is much cleaner than an electric vehicle, how do you think the electricity is generated? Natural Gas or COAL, then you send it over transmission lines to a toxic battery that uses rare earth metals. It is beyond absurd and makes no sense at all. I have now purchased a Civic that has never been registered here and will be going to the DMV to apply for a Red sticker next month, my biggest fear would be them issuing me a White sticker.(like okay we will mail you a Red sticker and a White sticker shows up). I purchased an auxiliary tank from the marketplace here (can you imagine a 330 mile range on a GX?) that I would like to get installed on the new vehicle can anybody recommend a shop?

                    Thanks folks!

                    Mark

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by BigMark View Post
                      I have been driving a Civic CNG the last three years in Southern California. As most if not all of you know a CNG vehicle is much cleaner than an electric vehicle, how do you think the electricity is generated? Natural Gas or COAL, then you send it over transmission lines to a toxic battery that uses rare earth metals. It is beyond absurd and makes no sense at all. I have now purchased a Civic that has never been registered here and will be going to the DMV to apply for a Red sticker next month, my biggest fear would be them issuing me a White sticker.(like okay we will mail you a Red sticker and a White sticker shows up). I purchased an auxiliary tank from the marketplace here (can you imagine a 330 mile range on a GX?) that I would like to get installed on the new vehicle can anybody recommend a shop?

                      Thanks folks!

                      Mark
                      Of course electric is clean. The powerplants run on Pixie Dust and Unicorn Farts.............Looking at my So Cal Edison " Power content label " on the bill, one year it lists Coal as 22 % the next year it lists coal as 0% and ' Undetermined sources " as 40% This is not the fault of Edison. The State grid operator CALISO purchases much of the power for Edison,. The state is the culprit of the lies on renewable energy in California.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        AFAIK, the CNG exclusion from the Car Pool Lanes was due to a mandate by the FEDERAL government on the States to increase the speed of the car pool lane by decreasing the users.
                        So, petitioning the individual state is fruitless.Instead, maybe we can work up a petition on this site to the President (or Congressman) to restructure that mandate to include CNG vehicles, as they were purchased by citizens on the promise of Car Pool Lane usage.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Wish me luck. Now trying to find an out of state CNG so I don't get fired from work for showing up late. Guess my vacation will be spent driving a car from some nearby state.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I have a very nice 2000 Crown Victoria that has spent it's life in AZ. I'm the second owner and the car is in excellent condition and has a 3600 psi system.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Has anyone received red stickers after purchasing an out of state CNG yet?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by next2pool View Post
                                I have a very nice 2000 Crown Victoria that has spent it's life in AZ. I'm the second owner and the car is in excellent condition and has a 3600 psi system.
                                I don't see that vehicle on the eligible list for California now.

                                Comment


                                • next2pool
                                  next2pool commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I'm in Arizona so have no idea about California. However it is a factory build and certified
                              Working...
                              X