No announcement yet.

CNG carpool stickers in CA no more?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNG carpool stickers in CA no more?????

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

Yeah we don't know...CNG white stickers always seem to get renewed...and would Tesla let those pre-2017 cars lose the stickers?

Blah blah blah...but it's CA and they want a good amount of electric cars by 2025...so we might lose it.

I am planning on moving closer to work this year...still got my motorcyle too

although these will still have carpool lane access LOL

If my next house/apt/condo has a garage...yes, I'm rocking it!!!
    Last edited by CNG F-150; 01-24-2018, 09:36 PM.

Comment

We don't know? Seems pretty clear from DMV website:
      22. Q: My vehicle was eligible and issued clean air decals prior to January 1, 2017; can I apply for new decals after January 1, 2019, when my white or green decal expires?

A: No. Under the new CAV program, vehicles that were issued CAV decals prior to January 1, 2017, are no longer eligible to receive new decals after January 1, 2019, (California Vehicle Code 5205.5).

Basically only cars purchased after 1/1/17 qualify

CNG in California is dead!
      Last edited by Thatitguy; 02-02-2018, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Stickers issued to new cars after January 1, 2019 are valid for three full years and then until January 1 of their fourth year.
        Drivers issued stickers in 2017 and 2018 will be able to apply for a new sticker in 2019 that is valid until January 1, 2022.
        Stickers issued before January 1, 2017 will expire on January 1, 2019.

Civic GX production ended (2015) before 2017, so they only have a year remaining to use carpool lane.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201720180AB544

https://ww2.kqed.org/science/2017/09...l-lane-access/

Comment

Where does it say anything about when a car was purchased? The constraint is when the sticker was ISSUED, not when the car was purchased. If you have a 2005 Civic GX that's never had a California sticker issued to it before, you could get one right now which would then allow you to get the new sticker after Jan 1 2019. Or at least that's how I'm reading it. The approved vehicles list for stickers is still the same. There's no cut off except for 2004 and older.

Comment

I just called the ARB to put clarity on what's been posted on their website and you are understanding it correctly.

All‚Äč‚Äč‚Äč‚Äč‚Äčl the old white stickers issued before 2017 are null and void and do not qualify for a new sticker. The new program is structured to provide incentive to new vehicles and limit it to 3 years.

Out with the old and in with the new...CNG could be losing a huge incentive here in CA and now only offers fuel savings

Comment

Actual California emissions tests for a Dodge minivan and Civic GX in 2006 when each vehicle was 5 yrs old with 140K miles - at a CARB approved test station - yielded 74 HC and 368 NOx (within acceptable limits) for the gasoline engine and 1 HC with 0 NOx for the CNG Civic (both at 25mph on dynamometer.) I'd say the CNG Civic is pretty damn close to the limits for the EV's they are providing car pool lane access to.

Oh, I forgot. They do not require the $80 emission test for electric cars. I attempted to get CNG cars excluded from testing because the law directs CARB to exempt the cleanest 15 percent of vehicles from the testing by type - dedicated CNG being one of the likely groups. I think the worst insult is that you are helping to pay for the billion dollar CARB agency.

Comment

I tried to get an explanation about why the (now older) CNG vehicles were losing the carpool lane, and the new program is used as an incentive to new vehicle purchases; not for old cars to keep getting it forever...which was sort of a loophole for all these years

Comment

When the smoke clears, it will be a repeat of the white vs gold stickers with legislation at the last minute to keep white stickers alive. This time the Green stickers will die, white stickers will be extended. I will bet money $$$$$

Comment

I hope so!

in the mean time, I am driving in the carpool lane as much as I can...

also hoping that someone gets scared and sells me a low hour home refueling pump for $100 haha

Comment

I plan to retire (sell) my 2008 GX anyway. Its got 180K on it and will have close to 200K when I plan to sell later this year. Looking at the 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV next. I will get it in red so the sticker blends in.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Nate View Post
                        Where does it say anything about when a car was purchased? The constraint is when the sticker was ISSUED, not when the car was purchased. If you have a 2005 Civic GX that's never had a California sticker issued to it before, you could get one right now which would then allow you to get the new sticker after Jan 1 2019. Or at least that's how I'm reading it. The approved vehicles list for stickers is still the same. There's no cut off except for 2004 and older.
                        If you can find a GX in another state, it should be eligible since it has never had a sticker in CA. I looked at used Teslas from NV and AZ.

Comment

Late post - but the time is coming for us "WHITE sticker" commuters. - The way it was "explained" to me and how I understand it to be is as stated above: The constraint is when the sticker was ISSUED, not when the car was purchased. If you have a 2005 Civic GX that's never had a California sticker issued to it before, you could get one right now which would then allow you to get the new sticker after Jan 1 2019. Or at least that's how I'm reading it. The approved vehicles list for stickers is still the same. There's no cut off except for 2004 and older. Link:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

It does read on the page:

Red Clean Air Vehicle Decals: Zero Emission, Plug-in Hybrid, CNG and LPG Vehicles

In March 2018, the California DMV began issuing a new single-color red decal for qualifying vehicles pursuant to CVC §§5205.5 and 21655.9. The new red decal will be valid until January 1, 2022, and are issued to vehicles that meet California's super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) evaporative emission standard, as well as vehicles that meet the state’s enhanced advanced technology partial zero-emission (enhanced AT PZEV) vehicles or transitional zero emission vehicle (TZEV) standard. Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and compressed natural gas (CNG) fueled vehicles may also qualify.

what I found to be truly disappointing, is that you CANNOT find a way to see if a car has ever been "stickered". Ive been turned down twice inquiring as to the status of a vehicle and it's ability to get a RED sticker. My solution as referred to earlier - is to go out of state to pick up a "newer CNG car. Doing a AutoCheck or CarFax can petty much tell you when and where a car has been registered. It's a PITA, but I'm willing o do it for a RED sticker and HOV access for the next 3 years - minimum.... Salt Lake City is always a nice place to visit....

Comment

I can't believe I am just hearing about this this morning on the radio! My husband and I both have CNG Hondas to make our commutes more bearable. I guess we will be looking out of state also.

Comment

According to the ARB web site, white stickers are no longer being issued:
                              https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

But according to DMV (who actually issues these), they ARE being issued:
                              https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

Which?
                              Last edited by John Mitton; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X