Crown vic digital fuel level gauge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown vic digital fuel level gauge

As I continue my cng adventure (see post about replacing my exp tanks with one huge tank), I'd like to add a digital fuel level gauge for more accuracy. Any info would be a huge help. Anybody done this? What gauge did you use? How did you hook it up? Even if you haven't please give your thoughts!

Since the fuel gauge uses pressure and temperature as a way of calculating fuel level, I'm not sure that accuracy is in the picture. My factory Crown Vic seems to be pretty accurate when empty and pretty close when full, but I'm not so sure of anything in between. I don't think it's any worse than gasoline versions but digital fuel gauges give you a false sense of accuracy.

Comment

I have a gauge from Speedhut in my Impala.
      https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/Pres.../?catid=f7|f66

It is very accurate from about 3000 psi on down, but reads high above there. For example, when I use my Fuelmaker overnight with ambient temps around 70 degrees the gauge should read right at 3600 psi in the morning, but instead its closer to 4000. And after a fast fill it can show rup to 4500 psi when I know the dispenser probably gave me 3300 in the winter, etc. This might be more the fault of the transducer, but anyway I really love this gauge to help me know how much range I have left when the pressure is getting very low. When I first got it I decided to check out the accuracy by coming home really low one day and then idling it in front of the Fuelmaker until the engine died. The gauge showed right at 100 psi - which I know is the minimum pressure required by the Bosch injectors. The red warning light is also helpful: it comes on around 350 psi.

It should tie right into your Ford pressure transducer, otherwise I believe they can sell you a transducer to install on the high pressure side of your car (as always, be certain the tank valves are closed and pressure has been bled down on the lines before messing with the high pressure side!).

Good luck and show us some photos once you get it installed.

Comment

Thank you that is very helpful. When I talk to my installer he said the 4000 PSI is the lower limit and I should look for something with at least 5000 PSI To account for overfills, So I am a little hesitant. Not having very good luck though finding one.

Comment

I probably didn't say it very well in my previous reply but I think the weak part of the reading will be due to the input signal, not the gage accuracy.

Comment

A gauge up to 4500 psi is sufficient. NFPA and NGV2 codes permit temperature compensated filling up to 1.25x the working pressure of the cylinder. So 3600 psi dispensers are not allowed to fill above 4500 psi, even with ambient temperatures well above 100 DegF. And I second what next2pool states, that your accuracy is going to vary somewhat on the accuracy of the transducer's signal voltage.

Also remember that having a psi readout can sometimes be deceptive for the uninformed who may wonder why they got a "lousy" fill to, say 3000 psi on a winter morning and a "great" fill to 4300 psi on a summer day -- when in either scenario the tank is filled with the same energy content.

Comment

Working...
            X