2012 mv-1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 mv-1

I was at the North Aurora Auto Mall(Illinois) Sunday walking lots and visited the almost empty Suzuki dealer lot.
    In addition to a few regular Suzuki's they had a bunch of the ugliest vehicles I've seen since the Pontiac Aztec althought another guy there correctly pointed out that the front looks like the Honda Element.

It's called the MV-1 & here's a few of the details I got from the sticker(s).

$39,950 + $9,000(CNG option) + a couple of "other" charges for a total of $50,324
    They had non CNG option ones too.

I should point out one VERY important thing: As far as I know, there is no CNG station anywhere near this dealer. Strange. I wonder if they know of one(otherwise why would someone pay $9G for the CNG option?).

Gas Equivalent MPG: City 11 Highway: 16
    4.6L V8 with 4 speed auto w/overdirve & a 3.45 ratio real wheel drive axle

The Vehicle Production Group LLC was the name on the sticker.
    The website: http://www.vpgautos.com

Sold/deliver to:
    Ron Carter Ford inc.
    MV-1 of South Houston
    Alvin, Texas

Final Assembly point: Mishawaka, Indiana
    Looks like a wheel chair van on steroids
    Last edited by CNG Dreamer; 03-22-2012, 10:12 AM.

Re: 2012 mv-1

11 City and 16 hwy? what a shame!
    Mario
    AAA CNG SYSTEMS
    CSA Certified CNG Cylinder & Fuel System Inspector

Comment

I was in Santa Fe, NM last week, Santa Fe Trails Bus just got two of the MV-1s set up for para transit. They remind me somewhat of a Checker; boxy, with plenty of room. Almost a Scion Xb of steroids. Santa Fe trails was one the first Bus company to go CNG

Larrycng

Comment

I remember the first MV-1 prototypes were intended to use the Chevy's 4.3L V6 from the Silverado 1500. It's actually an interesting vehicle at all, but more restricted to the usage as a wheelchair-accessible taxi than to the private customer.

Comment

I am disabled and I am looking at this now as a better alternative than a conversion van. It is about $10,000 less than a conversion van and comes with a better warranty. As I understand it they had to switch engine vendors at the last minute when GM went into bankruptcy. I heard they are going to switch to a more fuel efficient V6 engine. It is almost identical to the Ford Expedition in length/width/height/weight. I am trying to justify the $9000 CNG option. I really don't drive enough to make it payback.

Comment

Dreamer, you can visit our sister site at www.cngprices.com, or www.altfuelprices.com and identify CNG stations in your vicinity. There are CNG stations popping up in TX like jack rabbits, although I see only 3 stations in Houston and none in S. Houston. CNG may not option for you, depending on a number of factors. If you don't drive more than 100 miles from home and have a natural gas line at home, then home refueling is an option that might work for you. New, or used home refueling appliances (HRA's) can be had for between $5k-$10k.this is in addition to your $50k for the vehicle.

If you get into Houston much and would be able to make use of the existing infrastructure, you might consider a bifuel van of some sort. They usually come from GSA, or other auctions, and pop up on Craigs List, Ebay and in the "CNG Marketplace" forum on this site. You could probably get into one for 1/3 the cost of the MV-1 and could customize it for your needs with the savings. Run gas in it until you are around a CNG station and run CNG when you can. It's a little bit of a compromise that might work for you. With the savings you could get the HRA and run CNG almost exclusively. Just a thought.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Well Curtis, that's very nice of you to offer but since I live in Aurora, Illinois I doubt I'll be able to take you up on that anytime soon.

Here in the land of ILL, taxes not CNG stations are popping up all over the place. The "big deal" a few years ago was getting an "E85" pump at the local supermarket. What a scam. Out and out fraud. The nominal price is less so "Joe Average" thinks he's saving $, helping the farmer and being "Red, White & Blue". The reality of course is that unless the price of E85 is 27%(or more) LESS than the price of gas then he's LOSING money because E85 has 27% less ENERGY(the important thing- not the volume of liquid) than gas.

But the politicians need to get the Iowa vote so they pucker up to E85! 'Aint it grand. Not.

For what it's worth I e-mailed the dealer of this vehicle and asked where one could use the CNG option locally. It's been 2-3 weeks and no response.

I guess there's a few CNG pumps going in or are in in Obamaville(Chicago).

Comment

Originally posted by mogulman View Post
                As I understand it they had to switch engine vendors at the last minute when GM went into bankruptcy. I heard they are going to switch to a more fuel efficient V6 engine.
                I remember the engine change happened when GM went into bankruptcy. But actually if I were projecting a vehicle like this one I'd have considered to have it with front-wheel drive to get the boarding platform lower and easier to levelling with the curbside.

Comment

Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority reports it just bought two of the MV-1

http://ngtnews.com/transit-agency-ro...News+Headlines

Dealers for the passenger van are listed at this website, but use the link now as everything about the MV-1 keeps changing including the company that manufactures it.

http://www.mv-1.us/shopping-tools

Comment

I think they are awesome, many on the roads in NYC and I talked with a CNG driver in Marshall at the pump. He liked it. I want one secondhand.

Comment

Originally posted by CNG Dreamer View Post
                      I was at the North Aurora Auto Mall(Illinois) Sunday walking lots and visited the almost empty Suzuki dealer lot.
                      In addition to a few regular Suzuki's they had a bunch of the ugliest vehicles I've seen since the Pontiac Aztec althought another guy there correctly pointed out that the front looks like the Honda Element.

It's called the MV-1 & here's a few of the details I got from the sticker(s).

$39,950 + $9,000(CNG option) + a couple of "other" charges for a total of $50,324
                      They had non CNG option ones too.

I should point out one VERY important thing: As far as I know, there is no CNG station anywhere near this dealer. Strange. I wonder if they know of one(otherwise why would someone pay $9G for the CNG option?).

Gas Equivalent MPG: City 11 Highway: 16
                      4.6L V8 with 4 speed auto w/overdirve & a 3.45 ratio real wheel drive axle

The Vehicle Production Group LLC was the name on the sticker.
                      The website: http://www.vpgautos.com

Sold/deliver to:
                      Ron Carter Ford inc.
                      MV-1 of South Houston
                      Alvin, Texas

Final Assembly point: Mishawaka, Indiana
                      Looks like a wheel chair van on steroids
                      That outfit went under and was bought by AM General.. A noble effort but a tough way to enter a focussed market.

Comment

Working...
                      X