No announcement yet.

CNG Semi Tractors - Dual Fuel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to revive and old thread here, I recently acquired 3 peterbilts with c12 engines all running LNG dual fuel. They are being built for roll off trucks and the LNG tanks are too big for the hoists to clear. We were thinking of removing the LNG tank and have it run on all diesel. If we do this, would it work? Would the truck respond to just running all diesel? Or would it be inoperable when we remove the tank?

Comment

http://repoweredngv.com/

Comment

If they have the Westport 15 liter engine (based on the Cummins ISX) then no, the will not run on diesel alone.

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
          If they have the Westport 15 liter engine (based on the Cummins ISX) then no, the will not run on diesel alone.
          It's the caterpillar c12 engine. One of the trucks ran fine without the LNG when tanks as empty. Just not sure what other components is involved with this retrofit.

I want to remove all the LNG related stuff all together just don't know where to start. If I can get away by just removing the tank then I wont mess with the other stuff

Comment

Is there any indication of what dual-fuel retrofit is on the engine?
            Normally dual-fuel is just that: it will run on either a blend with natural gas or on straight diesel. You should be OK removing the LNG tanks unless there is some secondary engine controller which might have a dependency on seeing the alternative fuel system in place (looking for a sensor on the LNG tank for example).

Comment

should be just fine you may find the power is low as the diesel fuel rate is turned down to keep the heat down on the pistons I have done that as drivers will not watch the pyrometer and the truck will also loose power when out of lng so they will keep it full and the owner saves the money on diesel

Comment

Working...
              X