Where/how to replace bad presure regulator {1996 Dodge RAM 1500 CNG}

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where/how to replace bad presure regulator {1996 Dodge RAM 1500 CNG}

An update on my pressure regulator problem. I found a bad "O" ring on the cap that is sealing the unused port in the center of the regulator. i replaced the "O" ring and tightened the cap down (it was not tight) and everything seems to work fine now. It is indeed a GFI regulator with 3600 psi input and 120 psi output. I am happy now. Thanks for all of the responses!

Comment

the regulator i can sell is a hpr 3000, the 3600 is on my pickup. the regulator is not new and am going to test to see if it works on my own vehicle before i sell it. just for quality assurance. sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Hello Everyone. I'm new to this CNG thing as well. I bought one of the 1992 Dodge Ram 250 Cargo Vans from a local college and for the most part it has been a good buy. I've driven it many miles in a short time, 300 - 600 mile each week. A few months back I began to hear a rattle noise coming from under the van. And as time went by, it became louder more consistant. I finally had time to seek out the rattle. It is coming from the fuel pressure reducing regulator. There are signs of oil leakage in the area. I have been unable to find a replacement part. Is this something that can be fixed or does it need replaced. Is there anywhere I guy can get the part? Any suggestion would be greatly apriciated, 50 - 70 bucks a week certainly beats 70 - 100 bucks a week.

Comment

Forgot to mention, it is a 3000 psi system. Thanks.

Comment

Chrysler replacement regulator part number is 05189131AA, should be available through any Chrysler dealer.

You may have to utilize original inlet fitting from old unit as two different sizes were used in original production

Comment

Originally posted by Barley Joe View Post
              Forgot to mention, it is a 3000 psi system. Thanks.
              Joe,
              If you have a '92 with a 3,000psi system your regulator is not your only problem, your tanks are expired.
              PM me your contact info so we can make arrangements for you to come by my shop near Grant & I-10 to check out your van.
              We may be able to come up with an affordable upgrade to 3,600psi and current tanks.
              Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Very good. I'm only 4 mile up up the hill from there off Ironwood. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I don't understand how the PM works. But I have been looking for a service center for these things since I bought it to no avail. I do know the tanks need to be replaced. Feel free to give me a call @ 602-770-9351. I'm up in Phoenix now but will be returning to Tucson in the morning. Perhaps I could drive this down the hill to you to look at tomorrow afternoon?

Comment

Joe,
                  PMing is easy, just click on my name which will bring you to my profile page and then click on "Send Private Message" on the left.

I'll call you in the AM when I get to my shop.

Comment

Have you made it back to the west yet? I'm still very serous about updateing those tanks.

Comment

Flying back from Ohio install Friday night. I'll give you a call Monday/Tuesday.
                      I have some 10"x40" 2.6GGE type II tanks that should work under your 96 Dodge.

"12- Type 2 Luxfer A360W-10"x40" 2.6GGE, man. valves, Expire 2/2020 Have 3-sets of double brackets Price: $175.00 ea. $150.00 ea. In qty. "

I'll check sizing on my 95 on Sunday or Monday to see if we can fit 6 or more and let you know.

Comment

Sounds Great!

Comment

I am having similar problems with my dodge ram 2500. I have tracked the problem down to the regulator or the high pressure valve. It is the original GFI regulator 3000 psi. I would like to replace and upgrade to 3600. Any ideas on which regulator I can use. I like the price of the HPR 3600 over a GFI, but if you use the HPR that does not have the internal valve, does it matter which valve you use, and does the diameter or the inlet and outlet matter?
                          I am also looking for new tanks. Would like to extend the range on the truck to at least 300 miles about 20 gge +/-.

Comment

Jeffpowers,
                            What year is your van? How much inside space are you willing to give up?

Comment

I have a 2500 truck. Lots of spare room for extra tanks. I am also looking for regulator and high pressure solenoid. Any help on tracking them down, or alternative regulators I could use?

Comment

1996 Dodge ram 2500 Pick up

Comment

Working...
                                X