X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• altfuel
    started a topic diesel - CNG

diesel - CNG

I own a Civic GX and a Duramax Diesel truck. I am looking into converting the truck to run on 50%+ CNG / Diesel mix. If anyone has any information or experience in this please post or email me.

Thanks,
    Alex

• twh_mn
    replied
    Re: diesel - CNG

Originally posted by CNG MOTORS View Post
    We have one but not sold as kit only sold as install. But will tell you this whomever you go with make sure EGTS are controlled in some manner. If not you do NOT want that kit.
    Is it a EPA (CARB) certified conversion kit? Would it qualify for the credits in the pending Natural Gas Act?

Leave a comment:

• CNG MOTORS
    replied

We have one but not sold as kit only sold as install. But will tell you this whomever you go with make sure EGTS are controlled in some manner. If not you do NOT want that kit.

Leave a comment:

• dhomant
    replied

Thank you. Is there a preferred suppler for a CNG kit for my 6.7L Ford Diesel? Can anyone recommend one?

Leave a comment:

• CNG MOTORS
    replied

Originally posted by dhomant View Post
    Thank you, that is interesting. I thought I would see a reduction in NOX and I would not expect to see a rise in EGT. Is there a reason for this that you know of? Is it only during the regen cycle or always do you think?

I have a general question about the theory of CNG fumigation for aftermarket, If I fumigate with CNG that is an addition of fuel to the engine so how do I back down on the diesel fuel? Is there a computer module with the kit that would do that or is it in the fact that I need to back off the pedal to maintain the same torque.
    Simple as backing off the pedal. Less pedal equals same speed as previously without the CNG hense less diesel used

Leave a comment:

• dhomant
    replied

Thank you, that is interesting. I thought I would see a reduction in NOX and I would not expect to see a rise in EGT. Is there a reason for this that you know of? Is it only during the regen cycle or always do you think?

I have a general question about the theory of CNG fumigation for aftermarket, If I fumigate with CNG that is an addition of fuel to the engine so how do I back down on the diesel fuel? Is there a computer module with the kit that would do that or is it in the fact that I need to back off the pedal to maintain the same torque.

Leave a comment:

• Lakewood90712
    replied

NOX and exhaust gas temp will go sky high. be very carefull on the EGT . You don't want to end up with holes in your pistons.

Leave a comment:

• dhomant
    replied

I have been thinking about adding CNG to my 6.7L Ford Diesel. Has anyone tried fumigating one of these? It has multi-injections per engine cycle and I was wondering if fumigation would hurt it.

Leave a comment:

• cowboy
    replied

Originally posted by micrologics View Post
    Quote: They can't figure out why the motors are blowing... anyone have an idea?

yes!
    All fuels self-ignite when they are compressed beyond a certain compression ratio. This is what determines the fuel's octane number. Diesel engines are designed with compression ratios of the order of 1:22 or thereabouts (depending upon the manufacturer and the quality of fuel to be used), (Petrol engines can have Compression ratios of the order of 1:9 to almost 1:10.5).
    The biofuels are made from almost any bio garbage, and the octane number just simply varies.
    In the experiment quoted, the bio-fuel used might be having a lower octane number, hence it ignites pre-maturedly while the piston is still in the upstroke. Thus breaking up the engine.
    a diesel can not pre ignite with bio fuel as there is no fuel in the cylinder during compression now cng when interduced into the air stream can cause pre ign. but methane has a high octane not so with butane ethane propane and such but just remember heat is the problem no mater what the fuel

Leave a comment:

• CNG MOTORS
    replied

What kills a cng/diesel blend motor are EGT's. If you don't control it, it's like a time bomb waiting to go off. We have almost 1million miles between several cng/blend trucks with ZERO issues. Duramax, cummins, powerstroke, and detriot.

Leave a comment:

• micrologics
    replied

Quote: They can't figure out why the motors are blowing... anyone have an idea?

yes!
    All fuels self-ignite when they are compressed beyond a certain compression ratio. This is what determines the fuel's octane number. Diesel engines are designed with compression ratios of the order of 1:22 or thereabouts (depending upon the manufacturer and the quality of fuel to be used), (Petrol engines can have Compression ratios of the order of 1:9 to almost 1:10.5).
    The biofuels are made from almost any bio garbage, and the octane number just simply varies.
    In the experiment quoted, the bio-fuel used might be having a lower octane number, hence it ignites pre-maturedly while the piston is still in the upstroke. Thus breaking up the engine.

Leave a comment:

• twh_mn
    replied

Anyone familiar with the Prins "Diesel Blend" or Technocarb "Eco Diesel" dual fuel conversions? From the information I have read on the web (not a lot) it doesn't appear that either has attempted to get EPA certification for any specific applications. The natural gas act appears to support Dual fuel conversions on the incremental cost but I assume that would require a EPA (CARB) certified conversion to qualify. Looking at replacing a vehicle (gas or diesel) soon and want to pursue CNG for fuel savings once (if?) the natural gas act becomes law and is enacted...

TWH_MN

Leave a comment:

• cnguser
    replied

bronzebogen:

If you are in southern Oregon, there are 2 public CNG fueling facilities in Medford.
    See www.cngprices.com

If not, search around the web for a used CNG home fueler. This would be a whole ton
    less cost and hassle than even thinking of having an existing vehicle converted, should you aquire the Ford van or similar vehicle.

You could also check with the FuelMaker rep for Oregon.

Leave a comment:

• larrycng
    replied

If you could find the GFI wiring diagrams, you might be able to swap out the CNG compuvale for an LP compuvalve. Be sure to check fuel nozzles in the intake manifold. You would have to change out the pressure regulator and fuel lines up to the compuvalve. The unknown would be the interface with the OEM Ford computer.

Thats my best take, hope this helps

Larrycng

Leave a comment:

• CNG MOTORS
    replied

It's like changing unleaded to diesel or vise versa. Non of the componets are interchangeable. You might aswell start with a regular gasser and covert it at least that way you save the labor of ripping out the old system

Leave a comment:

Working...
X