Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: diesel - CNG

Originally posted by larrycng View Post
    Sounds like you're talking about Ak Miller, Was lucky to have good ol bulls session about gaseous fuel about a year before he died -- neat guy.

His wife (ex wife?? ) Marilyn was selling CNG and LP mixers and regulators, use to get stuff from her. Real neat gal. She got a hold of the old casting cores from OHG (Dick Baberstock of original Impco) had some made up, CNC machined them and had them anodized. Took care of the sticking problems on mixer. Depending on which system you wanted to run (CNG or LP) you just changed the pins in the air valve mixer and used the correct regulator; X-1 for CNG or X-2 for LP. I run the LP system.

Marilyn just disappeared for the scene according to a good friend who knew Ak and Marilyn for many years -- Don Bass, one of the originals of CNG.

Larrycng
    Boy that brings back memories. Not sure who I spoke with back in 1990 when I converted my Chevy van to propane. I do remember OHG (over the hill gang was mentioned). I still have the kit for propane and debating on whether to use some of it for propane fumagation on my Duramax. CNG would be cool but I don't want a tank in the bed of my truck. The tank I have now is built from two smaller horizontal tanks welded to a mount and took the place of the original tanks in the van. With the reomte fill and other hose it would save me a chunck of dough. Just need to find the correct reg and mixer to fumagate LPG into as diesel.

Comment

First, thank for serving, as a Viet Nam vet it is very much appreciated.

I don't think an air valve carburetor would work on diesel application, there is no throttle valve to provide air valve vacuum to operate the air valve. With OHG X-450 I think the air valve would be open most of the time dumping in a lot of fuel. A venturi mixer would be better and then vari the regulator final stage pressure to get the desired amount of gas.

Good luck with the project and stay safe

Larrycng

Comment

We are going to start our Duramax test bed tomorrow and if the CNG tank falls through that I have lined up for it, we will do a LPG conversion on it. We'll test out a few regs and I'll let the thread now.
        sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
        SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
        2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
        1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
        2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

Re: diesel - CNG/Standards for Dual Fuel Conversions

I will answer my own question. Marc Deluca www.delucafuelproducts.com

My understanding is that I am providing more hydrogen with a little carbon (CNG) via the air intake and there is no need to disable or modify any emissions equipment. As long as my exhaust stays in EPA spec, I should be okay. Right???

Comment

FYI
            Kits are made by ---
            Naturelle -- a computer controlled unit tied to the PCM with programming by "bullydog"
            DeLuca -- a fogger unit using a venturi in the intake air that mixes cng according to air flow (like a carburetor main metering ventiri system)
            Custom cng -- built on site to vehicle specifications (fogger kit)
            The Propane Guy -- Made in canada
            Australia makes a computer controlled kit that can be special ordered
            Italy makes almost all cng parts and they are repackaged in other kits -- if you check online there are several kits available there as well.

Stan

Comment

Smartineau - Thanks much!

Comment

Got an answer from EPA in regards to CNG/LPG blends with Diesel. The wording is such that if the fuel changes in any portion than what the OEM design then it will need a cert. I'm just the messenger. Because of this we are applying for EPA excemptions on both our test bed vehicles. BTW we are going with CNG for the duramax with 21 gallons of CNG in the bed with room for 21 more. base line test show 11 MPG with heavy loads 10K and 17 mpg with light loads 3k and 22 mpg no load. I will report later what we find with the blend.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel

Comment

I take it this is the $300,000 per year per vehicle certification? It might be a good opportunity for some near bankrupt automaker to insist that all of their diesels were designed for CNG to be added.

Comment

EPA certs are not $300,000 to obtain. CARB certs can run that high due to the in-use durability testing requirement.

We got our Impala done with EPA for about $40,000 in lab work. Next go around should be half this now that we cut our teeth on the first one. Of course you need to account for overhead costs too as you take your time in calibrating and proving out the system, etc.

Comment

• Re: diesel - CNG

Thanks for the quick reply, John. Probably it is a deal killer for a marginal business plan. But if some fumigation company needs someone to help pick up the tab, we could talk about it. If I understand correctly, they could certify their kit on a F350 Powerstroke and then any certified installer could intall it on the Powerstroke and it would be an EPA certified installation?

Comment

check with your local cat dealer thats where I get mine done cowboy

Comment

just another something the usa cant have big $ like it just like it is

Comment

did I do somthing wrong that my post did not end up under where to get oil tested as a reply

Comment

OK the Duramax is complete with just a few hundred miles on it now. With the system opened 50% it is more suitable for the drag strip than it is on the street. It will give my Viper a run for it's money for sure. With the system turned back to 25% it becomes more user friendly. We'll get some miles on her over the next few months. And yes we are going after an EPA cert for this one.

At 50% system capacity we are estimating before we get it on a dyno 100% increase in torque and HP. 500-600 hp and 900-1000 lbs or torque. Anyone ever in Phoenix come by and I'll take you for a ride.... make sure you wear a diaper.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel

Comment

Originally posted by CNG MOTORS View Post
                                OK the Duramax is complete with just a few hundred miles on it now. With the system opened 50% it is more suitable for the drag strip than it is on the street. It will give my Viper a run for it's money for sure. With the system turned back to 25% it becomes more user friendly. We'll get some miles on her over the next few months. And yes we are going after an EPA cert for this one.

At 50% system capacity we are estimating before we get it on a dyno 100% increase in torque and HP. 500-600 hp and 900-1000 lbs or torque. Anyone ever in Phoenix come by and I'll take you for a ride.... make sure you wear a diaper.
                                Curious as to if this kit is of your own design or something like Marc Deluca offers ?

Comment

Working...
                                X