diesel - CNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: diesel - CNG

I guy I know has cng on a '07 duramax. The kit looks very simple. It just has a regulator and a mixer?? and just blows the cng into the air intake system. We have a old propane forklift and the hardware on that looks much the same. Like the post above he says the mix allows for 50 mpg on the diesel and adds power. The thing I would worry about is melting down a 20K engine since there is no feedback to the system..

Comment

thank you for that link.

Comment

I found Marc the other day while surfing the net and called him. I told him about CNG Chat He quoted me $1200 for the kit without a tank and stated he is real busy selling kits to Utah customers and a few other conversion shops. He designed the kit for the Duramax.

I was asking him about pulling off the electronics off a MSD Superchips Propane Injection kit and converting it to use on his system since his kit has no electronics. I have a 6L 05 ford which is prone to headgasket issues with HP increases and want some electronic safety.

The SAE energy kit will be $5000 plus tanks as stated on their web site avalable in the first quarter of 08...( allready passed)

They put a kit on a F450 with a 5000 psi hydrogen tanks and it can run both cng and Hydrogen. They did this for SEMA at the Pimp my ride Shop.. Work done by Galpin auto sports Do a web search hydrogen F450 GAS Galpin auto sports for Pics

If anyone knows if I can use the MSD superchips Propane electronics to do the diesel CNG fumigation please let me know Thanks... Brian

Comment

Where are you located?
          In Utah see Snow-motion 801-281-4766

Comment

Thanks for all of the reply's... glad to see there is interest in conversion or CNG addition.... I think I am going to start with a supplemental system ala Deluca.. this seems the best since I want to mix with our recycled biodiesel. Modifying the entire motor with spark plugs and engine control looks to be a PITA.

When I get around to completing this project, I'll post again with results.

-Alex

Comment

Here's a thought... Swing into the local Air District and see if they would give you some "financial assistance" in converting your nasty old deisel to cng injected Bio-Deisel. Worst thing they could say is no. If you are self employed, I'm sure they would help you with cleaning up your company vehicle/s. They'd probably even write the grant proposal for you to get the public funding from the Air District..
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Biodiesel

ANY diesel engine will run on biodiesel.
                I saw an episode of "Trucks" where they bought a setup to make biodiesel from free veggie oil for about 50c a gallon. The equipment cost around 2 grand, and you end up with glycerin as a by-product.
                To run an engine on veggie oil you do need a conversion, and you still need diesel to start it.
                BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Bio Diesel is good and it works but it's a real pain in the a$$ and messy to collect the oil and then take the time and space to make 55 gallons of diesel plus the chemical's and clean up. It works out to $1 a gallon plus time to collect and make... not 50 cents a gallon plus your woking with red devil lye.
                  Don't need this around the kids.

http://www.homebiodieselkits.com/

The good equipment costs $5000 to make 55 gallon batches plus fuel dryer. plus 500 for the chemical kit. So the cost is more vs cng equipment if you get a used cng tank.

One problem...When you take a long trip you will need to buy diesel somewhere down the road with bio. The 80/ 20 diesel cng mix dollar costs your fuel down. And you can still fill up on cng down the road. You can't fill up on cheap bio down the road it's just a little less than regular diesel and B100 is hard to find vs B20.

Also most diesel engines especially the new low sulfur engines running on B100 will void your engine warranty if you have any problems. Older 7.3 ford and pre low sulfur cummins 5.9 engines work best on B100 and straight WVO.

If you want to use bio and have the right diesel maybe a WVO CNG system would work best. I was thinking about this combo with computer wvo purge control and taking delucas cng system and merging it with msd superchips digital propane fumigation electronics for safety and engine monitoring.

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/pro-d...sDPIflyer4.pdf
                  http://www.greasecar.com/kit_detail.cfm?prodID=24

Are there any propane cng tec's that can take a look at the msd regulator and tell me if the electronics can be transfered to a cng regulator? Or is the regulator approved for both? This is for intake fumigation not direct injection.

Free Wvo and cheap CnG with diesel back up. Big savings and pump the WVO pumped straight at the restaurant into your on board 55 gal wvo tank A big $$$ saver.

With CNG your Oil change intervals increase you save more $$$ and lower pollution plus have a 100hp increase in power and full burn of wvo should limit any wvo problems!!!

Any response on this would be helpful. Thanks
                  Last edited by cnghal; 12-14-2008, 10:39 PM. Reason: Removed link to illegal kit supplier

Comment

Originally posted by CTRacing View Post
                    where did you get your kit? what brand is it?
                    I designed and built it myself. PM me if you want more info.
                    '04 Silverado Duramax w/cng injection system
                    '95 Suburban 4BT Cummins w/cng injection
                    '05 Jeep Liberty diesel w/cng injection
                    '91 V3500 454 LP gas
                    '72 Impala LP gas

Comment

I am quite interested in learning from you how to accomplish this. I have a 1998 Dodge with a 12-Valve Cummins (not computerized). Would you be kind enough to guide me in putting together a system like yours?

Kind regards,

David

Comment

Originally posted by dyoung1894 View Post
                        I am quite interested in learning from you how to accomplish this. I have a 1998 Dodge with a 12-Valve Cummins (not computerized). Would you be kind enough to guide me in putting together a system like yours?

Kind regards,

David
                        David,

I have a 97 Cummins 12-valve and talked to Marc last week. He said he'd have a kit together for our trucks around the end of the month. Probably the best way to get in touch with him is to leave your number using the email link on his website. He's a great guy to talk to and has been involved in this for quite awhile. As you can imagine he's very busy but he'll get back to you. FWIW, the Sno-Motion guys told me these its were still a year out. Marc is the only guy I know of that has a kit available now. Good luck.

Dave

Comment

Hi, new to the forums.

any new info on converting a diesel to run on CNG and Diesel?

I have a 2007 Dodge 5.9 L I would love to convert.

Comment

How different are the cummins and powerstroke engines? Does anyone think it would be difficult to adapt this system to fords powerstroke?

Comment

Sorry I haven't had a chance to get on the forum lately. I am still working on the Ford, it will need to be located in the bed because of lack of underhood space. The basics of the system are the same for all of them. Stay tuned.
                              '04 Silverado Duramax w/cng injection system
                              '95 Suburban 4BT Cummins w/cng injection
                              '05 Jeep Liberty diesel w/cng injection
                              '91 V3500 454 LP gas
                              '72 Impala LP gas

Comment

Originally posted by maxman View Post
                                For non-dedicated diesel conversions, the CNG is injected into the intake stream similar to propane injections. It is called fumigation and I have seen several kits on the market for around $1800 (plus the tanks<s>). It doesn't require spark plugs, but uses the diesel fuel to ignite the CNG. I believe they go up to 80% CNG.
                                Max
                                Make that up to 20 to 30% CNG & 70 to 80% Diesel ... still a nice clean burning efficient system but I personally wouldn't go with this system. Here in Australia the Fed Gov is giving a 50% rebate on this system with LPG???? (similar to cng)bottom line is if something is good you're gonna have to pay for it up front.......no incentives needed..just hang out for the SAE teaser apparently operating pilot diesel compression of 10% 90%cng that looks to be where its headed....patience young jedi....

Comment

Working...
                                X