Camry Engine Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camry Engine Repair

I am in the process of fixing my Camry 5S-FNE motor which currently is experiencing some rod knock. From the research that I have been able to do the only part differences between the 5S-FNE and 5S-FE gas motors are the CNG motor has rigid pistons, high lift cams, tin coated values and lighter valve springs. My thought is if I purchase a 5S-FE small block and moved the pistons over and heads I think I will be good to go. Has anyone gone down this road and have any experience here?
    Michael Williams
    2001 Toyota Camry

Re: Camry Engine Repair

I think you need to seek out CNGchat member CamryMan . . . . . he sounds like guru, especially regarding Camry engine based on this old post that I found.

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthr...amry-CNG-Specs

OP (ie CptPalmer) did your cng Camry continue running with bad bearing from your old post 8/22/12 that you were going to rebuild bottom end of engine?? Or did you actually repair engine back in 2012, and now it's gone bad again ???

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthr...0K-Dead-Engine

Comment

Thanks I will reach out to him. I had it repaired and rebuilt. Long story short from day one when I got the motor back the engine was consuming 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. I lost power as well, cylinder one tested low on a leak down and compression test. The shop that did the job will not stand up behind their work. They machined the cylinders so I want to try replace the short block if I can with this repair so get away from any work they have done.
      Michael Williams
      2001 Toyota Camry

Comment

Ouch, sounds like that "machine shop" really screwed you as no rebuilt engine should use qt of oil in 1,000 miles. You had bad cylinder from the start and were burning/blowing by that oil in bad cylinder.

Problem you have is that one piston from cylinder may be bad (ie the low compression cylinder). Better inspect that piston especially close and may need to track down replacement from Toyota.

Also, likely based on miles you have life-to-date on HEAD (it's one head on I-4 2.4 ltr engine), I'd recommend reseating/grinding the valves from original cng head before you swap it over to the new short block (assuming everything matches up and you can use the "cng" head). No use rebuilding rest of engine without also rebuilding valves on the cng head. Of course the cng cam needs to stay with the cng head. Good luck.
        Last edited by KSneedsCNG; 08-16-2014, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X