Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Bag Vehicles

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/...-vehicles.html

he old-timers on these pictures are not moving furniture or an oversized load. What can be seen on the roof is the fuel tank of the vehicle - a balloon filled with uncompressed gas.

Re: Gas Bag Vehicles

I remember my grandfather telling about the war in england. they had gas bag cars with just a hose and a hand valve to ajust the mix and they had rocks to change the pressure if you wanted to go faster you had to put a bigger rock on the gasbag to raise the pressure. must have been a pain in the rear but better than walking.

Comment

Talked with an old farmer sevaral years ago that said he would use NG in the tractor. (maybe it was actually propane) Anyway they just used a valve to adjust the amount of fuel used and lay a hand on the side of the engine block. If it got to hot they knew to give it a little less fuel. (adjust the valve)

Comment

Thanks Jenki_Putnik for posting the link for "Gas Bag" vehicles . . . that was Real Interesting reading about war efforts necessary when gasoline rationing was in effect. I never knew that. The old school "gas bag" buses with large enclosed roof holding the "city gas" were truly the pre-cursor of today's CNG powered buses!! Incredible that similar buses still were running up until 1965 in China!

Led me to also read about Wood Gas vehicles that also have been obscure solution to fuel rationing. And to think Mercedes was powered by wood burner in the trunk!! Check it out, it's great reading.

Finally, the minimalist approach that Citroen 2CV was manufactured was featured in similar link. Although underpowered, the air cooled front-wheel drive with unique suspension was way before it's time with lightweight design (originally built with aluminum skin, but later steel when aluminum prices increased). Anyone out there with a Citroen 2CV Sahara (4WD dual engine) that they want to sell?
        Last edited by KSneedsCNG; 01-24-2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Gas-bag buses used in China until the 90's at a certain time started to use biomethane as fuel instead of coal gas.

Comment

Ah, having mentioned this on anther post, here it is, gas-bag vehicles. Speaking to my Grnadad these were quite common during the war, and worked. Well sort of. We had coal gas in the towns back then for lighting as much as heating. Very dangerous too... These bags were more usually used in civvy street I think, the military were not on ration, but in RAF Hendon (a UK airforce museum in London) there's one surviving example of an RAF bus transport with a bag on the roof.

Comment

In my country, wood gasifiers were more popular. I've never seen not even a picture of a vehicle fitted with gas bags back here...

Comment

A gas-bag? At last I've found a use for the mother-in-law.

Comment

when i first saw this i though it had something to do with air suspension lol.....its amazing what people can come up with when push comes to shove

Comment

A few months ago I've been talking to a cousin who lives close to the Brazil-Uruguay border about making a gas-bag setup to use with biodigester-generated gas, but it would be nearly impossible to make it road-legal due to politics...

Comment

Working...
                    X