Prius Hybrids vs Civic GX CNG?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prius Hybrids vs Civic GX CNG?

Any current or former Prius owners out there who've also owned a dedicated CNG like the Civic? Been debating between Prius & Civic GX for months now. I have an '04 Tacoma pickup 4 cyl 2WD that gets 21-27 mpg & I'm spending $500-600/mo on fuel at $4.10-4.30/ga 35-40K/mi per year, L.A. area. Need to get a different vehicle asap.

I'd love to hear feedback from GX & Prius owners about which vehicle you're happier with overall. Thanks!
    Last edited by CleanNGreen; 05-17-2012, 05:14 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]

Re: Prius Hybrids vs Civic GX CNG?

Don't forget about resale values. Look at the very high depreciation of the hybrids due to high battery replacement costs and the very low depreciation of CNG vehicles as new markets open up and increase the demand for used CNG vehicles.

Comment

I considered the Prius, but settled on natgas Civic given the many CNG stations in OK. I think it's a safer car since it does not have gasoline onboard. Plus I love being free of the stinking gasoline fumes when refueling. The CNG tank is much better for the environment at the end of its useful life. All in, it's marginally cheaper, but a much better car environmentally. The resale will be higher as well.
      Craig
      '13 Honda Civic Natural Gas (bright blue!)
      '12 Honda Civic Natural Gas
      '11 bi-fuel Chevy Tahoe
      www.burnusgas.com

Comment

I've had more experience with gaseous fuels than with hybrids and pure electric drive. Despite the automatic engine shutdown at idle and a short all-electric mode in a Prius, it doesn't have any really great technical advantage for fuel-saving in city traffic. And also the batteries are potentially more harmful in the event of a crash...

Comment

If you have occasion to haul more than the Civic Nat Gas or Prius might hold, there are other vehicles that can be upfitted for Bi-Fuel, or straight CNG.
          Look into the economical 4 cylinder Ford Transit Express. There are numerous upfitters that do this with EPA and CARB approved systems.
          '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
          '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
          FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

Well I picked up a Civic GX a few days ago. Overall it should be about 20-25% cheaper than Prius in fuel cost in the So Cal area, plus I can try something different than oil. I know CNG has it's environmental downside in terms of fracking issues/chemicals but overall it makes more sense than sending money overseas for foreign oil, plus it's cleaner burning. Pretty cool to fill up for a few dollars! Surprised there aren't more people taking advantage of CNG.
            [/SIGPIC]

Comment

I bought a 2007 Prius new and a 2000 Civic GX just over a year ago. Have been paying $2.04 GGE for the Civic and calculate that I would have to pay $2.93 for gasoline for the Prius to cost the same per mile for fuel. I always drive the GX over the Prius when I have enough fuel for the trip as until recently there was only one CNG station in Maryland (1 mile from my office, plus I drive by it twice a day anyway). I love all the gadgets in the Prius, so I added a JVC in dash double din navigation HD radio with bluetooth to the GX to even things up. What GX did you end up with and will this be your only vehicle?

Comment

I bought a 2010 GX with 26K miles, very clean, still under the 3 year/36K mile warranty. I also looked at a 2011 GX & was surprised that both sellers were getting few calls so they were willing to take anything over what they'd get for trade in value since they needed to sell asap. One guy was getting a Prius plug in since he spends a lot of time in Oregon & the plug has carpool lane access. The other guy was going to buy the new all electric Ford but when he went to pick it up he was told it only has 75 mile range instead of 100 so he just bought another 2012 Civic GX since he was happy with it.

I'd like to buy the 7 yr/120K mile warranty since it's still eligible. The emissions system comes with 150K/15 year warranty in Calif which includes the tank, line, solenoid, catalytic converter, etc. I'm only 3.5 miles from a cng station, priced at $2.15/gge & there are a few others nearby at $1.81 so I'm pretty stoked. My mobility/lifestyle had become seriously hindered with the 4 cylinder Toyota PU at 23 mpg average & $4.30/gallon. So I couldn't be happier to have my magic carpet ride back. Southern Cal's freeway system & suburban sprawl has somewhat limited public transport so having an economical vehicle is a must to function normally. As long as I live in California near a cng station I plan to own a Civic GX. The GX will work 90% of the time but I'll definitely need access to a gasoline vehicle so I'll keep the truck for a year to see how much I use it, & I can always swap cars with a family member nearby. If I can get by without a utility vehicle the Prius would be the perfect compliment to the GX.
                [/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hondacare is available for purchase up until the car has 36,000 miles on it. However, once you get past 6,000 miles, the coverage is only for up to six years from the purchase date. You also have to pay a surcharge that is keyed to how many miles are on the vehicle. The policies purchased when the car has between 6,000 and 36,000 miles run from the date of the purchase of the policy and not the purchase of the car.

Here is a good place to look at what is available online for a genuine Hondacare policy from a real Honda dealer:

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/vehicle_info.php

You need to fill out the form and have them send you an email, which they do immediately. I have checked several scenarios on my car and another car. They have never bugged me trying to get me to buy from them after submitting my information. They used to be able to list their prices directly on line without having to send an email, but a legal settlement with Honda made them change their practice a bit. Sacucci Honda is considerably less expensive than my local Honda dealer when it comes to buying a Hondacare policy.
                  Last edited by CNGLO; 06-03-2012, 06:48 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks CNGLO, I'll check it out. Assuming it's bumper to bumper coverage, given the dependability of Honda do you think Honda Care is even likely to be used within 120K miles? The CNG fuel & emissions systems are covered 15 yr/150K miles. We bought the 7 year/120K Honda Care for my mom's 07 Civic & never a problem yet, but only 55K miles. But one sizeable repair & the cost of the plan is recovered.
                    [/SIGPIC]

Comment

A bit off topic but I owned a 2006 GX which I sold. I bought Hondacare on it before the mileage limit came up. When I sold it, the fact that it had Hondacare helped secure the deal. And as luck would have it (or should I say fate) soon after he bought it, the new owner experienced a failure of the low pressure regulator which was covered with no questions by Hondacare. Everybody was happy that the extended warranty was in place. As GNGLO says, shop around for the best price--I walked away from the dealer selling me the warranty until he told me he would match any price I could find which dropped the cost almost in half from the original offer. Don't buy anything but Hondacare as the CNG components won't be covered by your average fly-by-night auto warranties.

Comment

Originally posted by CleanNGreen View Post
                        Thanks CNGLO, I'll check it out. Assuming it's bumper to bumper coverage, given the dependability of Honda do you think Honda Care is even likely to be used within 120K miles? The CNG fuel & emissions systems are covered 15 yr/150K miles. We bought the 7 year/120K Honda Care for my mom's 07 Civic & never a problem yet, but only 55K miles. But one sizeable repair & the cost of the plan is recovered.
                        I bought the Hondacare warranty when I purchased my first GX in 2008. I was mostly concerned about the costs of the injectors (~$450 from Honda) and the high pressure regulator (~$3000). The HPR went out on a GX owned by a colleague. He was lucky that he was still within the 3/36 warranty available in Utah. Since you are in California, I believe those items are covered in your 15/150 warranty. If they are, and if I were in California, I would not purchase the Hondacare warranty. However, your reasons for wanting warranty coverage on the other parts of the car may be sufficient for you to purchase the coverage.

Comment

My experience with a 2008 GX would say definitely purchase the extra warranty. Even in California when my low pressure regulator canister needed replacing ( $700), I was told it was not covered under the 15/150K but the Honda Care covered it. 4 weeks later when the entire low pressure regulator failed they replaced it under the 15/150K and that included a second new canister also??? After the initial warranty I have replaced Injectors, timing chain tensioner, motor mounts, Belt tensioner X2, steering wheel reel, low pressure regulator, coil packs. This is all on a car that only drives on the freeway with no stop and go traffic. Just before reaching the 120K end of Honda Care I traded the car in for a 2012 and was happy to pay the ~1K for the new 120K Honda Care warranty.

Oh - I did not have any isues with the car until it hit 60K

Comment

Good points, malibu. I had my 2008 GX for only 43k miles. I also put half as many miles annually on my car as you did on yours.

Comment

Working...
                            X