CNG hybrid?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNG hybrid?!?

Why is it that manufacturers only consider gasoline for powering hybrids?

Re: CNG hybrid?!?

My guess would be the whole supply and demand thing. I think Honda is having a hard enough time selling their pure CNG cars (a little advertising might help that!). Hybrid sales are still much smaller than normal car sales so they would sell even LESS hybrid CNG cars, which probably is just not profitable. But that's just my guess ... I'm sure other people here know better than I do!

Cheers,
    Todd
    CNG Vehicle - 2002 Honda Civic GX
    CNGPrices.com - The latest prices at CNG stations near you
    AltFuelPrices.com - Prices and station locations for CNG, E85, Biodiesel and more!

Comment

A couple of possible reasons, could be packaging and cost.

CNG tanks with decent range tend to take up alot of interior space, as do large battery packs.

Secondly, hybrid and CNG equipment both tend to have lower production volume and of course adds complexity, therefore the end price tends to be higher as well. If the car costs too much it would definitly limit the number of potential customers willing to pay the premium. The automakers know this and choose to build more of what sells.

Regards, I do very much like the idea.

Comment

They cannot keep up with making enough of regular CNG Civics. They simply cannot manufacture enough of them. Demand is too high. I have looked new Civic GX, dealrs tell me that they are sold out in all states.

Comment

Plus it would add a lot of weight to the Civic and there already really slow. Even like a 30 hp electric probably wouldn't make much difference, it still be a slug. You would need like an 80hp electric to make up for weight, probably. MPG would be nice though.

I wonder if anybody has converted a Civic Hybrid to run on Nat Gas. Anybody got a lot of money for an experiment?

Comment

Ahhhh, be patient grass hopper I may have something in the works, not saying I do, but not saying I don't
            sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
            SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
            2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
            1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
            2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

There's also the matter of diminishing returns. extra cost to turn a 30mpg gasoline civic into a cng civic is one thing... to instead take a 40+mpg car, and convert it to cng, you will actually get less payoff, because of the efficieny.

CNG is most cost effective in the vehicles where mileage is low... suv's, trucks, vans, busses, etc.
              1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
              2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

It's all about cost per mile (less maintenance) . GX gets 40mpg hwy and the Hybrid version gets slightly better. Reduce the cost per mile by using cheaper fuel (CNG)

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel

Comment

Weight is an issue, Tanks + Batteries, especially for mileage conscience manufacturers of small cars, its just too much weight.

They are already doing it on trash trucks and buses where they have the ability to carry a little more weight.
                  Dave Clement

Comment

because it gets good mpg and it's bi-fuel you don't need many gge's say 3 gge would do for a 120 mile range. Dedicated GX's only have 6 gge. But a type 4 tank in 3 gge would only weigh about 25 lbs

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel

Comment

CNG Hybrid ?
                      Come on Murphy, strapping a CNG twin pack to the back of a Prius, openning the valves, lighting a match and launching it toward Lake Pleasant is not a CNG Hybrid. Fun to watch (let me know when, I'll bring the beer) but not very functional. Unless of course the Prius has an HOV plate and is filled with Clean Energy execs.

Now that's a solution to our problems.
                      Last edited by cnghal; 05-23-2008, 10:39 AM.
                      Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

It was crazy to have more than one phone or one TV set in your house. And then why would you ever need more than one computer in a houshold. Some thought I was craszy to install a 2nd VRA and cascade system at my house. Some people thought I was crazy to sell CNG vehicles 4 years ago. People then thought I was crazy for building a real Tri-Fuel LPG/CNG/Gasoline no E85 garbage. And people may call me crazy now to do a CNG bi-fuel hybrid, but time will tell

Not doing because I think it's viable (may or may not be) doing it to see if can be done. It's the only way I would ever own a hybrid...have you seen my sticker \/
                        Last edited by CNG MOTORS; 05-23-2008, 12:10 PM.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel

Comment

Master, may I snatch pebble from hand? LOL.

BTW, I want one of those stickers.....Pretty Please..........
                          Last edited by ajgiorgi; 05-23-2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CNG MOTORS View Post
                            It was crazy to have more than one phone or one TV set in your house. And then why would you ever need more than one computer in a houshold. Some thought I was craszy to install a 2nd VRA and cascade system at my house. Some people thought I was crazy to sell CNG vehicles 4 years ago. People then thought I was crazy for building a real Tri-Fuel LPG/CNG/Gasoline no E85 garbage. And people may call me crazy now to do a CNG bi-fuel hybrid, but time will tell

Not doing because I think it's viable (may or may not be) doing it to see if can be done. It's the only way I would ever own a hybrid...have you seen my sticker \/
                            Feel safe in knowing your Crazy.....But you are my kind of crazy! I feel that the Accord Hybrid would have been a huge success if it was made to run as a NGV. It would have had car HOV access. Lets admit that was the initial draw of the GX for most.

I live in my own little world. It's OK they know me there.

Comment

Ok Murphy,
                              So why don't you make a dedicated/bi-fuel/plug-in/solar electric hybrid (CNG, Propane, Electric) just to watch the people at the DMV's heads explode!

Enjoy your vacation buddy,
                              Hal B.
                              Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X