"Sandy" took out a lot of cars waiting on the docks in N.J

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sandy" took out a lot of cars waiting on the docks in N.J

http://updates.jalopnik.com/post/346...aught-fire-and A whole new meaning to smoke on the water. These were waiting for export. Looks like only a dozen or so burned, the rest are most likely a total loss from salt water.

Updated link to article:
    https://absolutereg.co.uk/news/more-...rt-after-sandy
    Last edited by John Mitton; 09-14-2017, 08:15 AM.

Re: "Sandy" took out a lot of cars waiting on the docks in N.J

well I would think that the port would have insurance but they might be self insured if so the people who own the cars might have a problem as they wont want to pay as far as the burnning I would not let that bother me as if I was to spend that kind of money on a car I would not drive it in water at all much less salt water I all so think anyone who would leave a car parked on low ground when you have a weeks notice of a big frigging storm is comming should not be able to collect on the insurance as that is not using due dillagence to care for the insured property if it is not the owner than at the least someone should be unemployed as this is a big loss this also gos for the people who just left there cars parked on low ground when I lived in fl when a storm would be headed our way we moved everything we cared to high ground before the partys started

Comment

Also has been pics of NY City damage where there's whole fleet of yellow Ford Crown Vic taxi's all sitting in several feet of water. You sure would have thought they'd been smart enough to drive these several miles inland to high ground!

Guessing that bunch of these are CNG taxi CV's. With sealed fuel system of cng, not sure if these would be totalled or not. May just need to drain out engine oil & other fluids that got salt water mixed in with them, and replace with new fluids. Of course, interior would need dried out, not to mention electrical problems due to water.

Comment

I used to go in the EXXON Refinery and the salt marshes, every where you looked was low ground.
        I don't know if there are any high ground in that area.
        If a tropical storm can do that much damage to New York & Jersey, just think what a category 2 or 3 could do.

Comment

I would think they are kilt as the salt will eat them from the inside out I am sure that some rascals will try to buy them up and resell them to someone who wont know there history

Comment

Originally posted by KSneedsCNG View Post
            Also has been pics of NY City damage where there's whole fleet of yellow Ford Crown Vic taxi's all sitting in several feet of water. You sure would have thought they'd been smart enough to drive these several miles inland to high ground!

Guessing that bunch of these are CNG taxi CV's. With sealed fuel system of cng, not sure if these would be totalled or not. May just need to drain out engine oil & other fluids that got salt water mixed in with them, and replace with new fluids. Of course, interior would need dried out, not to mention electrical problems due to water.
            It's not so hard to recover these Crown Vics, since at least they have a heavy-duty washable interior trim which is easier to clean. Even the electronics, unless there's a workaround with duct tape, might stand O.K. since currently-used automotive-type connectors are sealed. I'd just recommend to clean the modules with Isopropyl Alcohol to remove any residual organic matter.

Also, the HVAC pipes would also need to be cleaned, and this is the hardest to do.

Comment

Originally posted by cripple_rooster View Post
              It's not so hard to recover these Crown Vics, since at least they have a heavy-duty washable interior trim which is easier to clean. Even the electronics, unless there's a workaround with duct tape, might stand O.K. since currently-used automotive-type connectors are sealed. I'd just recommend to clean the modules with Isopropyl Alcohol to remove any residual organic matter.

Also, the HVAC pipes would also need to be cleaned, and this is the hardest to do.
              I had a airline Captain try to peddle me a Grand Marque one time, I asked why was the front bumper covered with loose rust?
              It seem when he dropped the hood, rust would fall out of the hood.

Comment

Working...
              X