Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drive Solo in the HOV lane in a gasoline vehicle.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Solo in the HOV lane in a gasoline vehicle.

It's been over 3 years since anyone posted in the Electric Vehicle section but there has been a lot more activity with EVs than with CNG vehicles so I thought I would make a token post here. I was bummed out when I was notified 5 years ago that my bi-fuel Cavalier was not eligible for HOV access with just the driver. I could either get a CNG Civic or find something else. I found that all Chevy Volts are eligible for the HOV stickers in Utah. If you get one with the low emissions package you can also get a permit to ignore the parking meters in Salt Lake City. The great thing about the Volt is that once you use up the 30-50 miles of pure electric range it automatically turns into a hybrid giving you about 40mpg on gasoline with a 9.5 gallon gasoline tank. It's nice to have a newer vehicle with some of the conveniences I never saw on the bi-fuel Cavaliers like bluetooth, Navigation, backup camera, heated seats, etc. Plus, since an electric motor has all its torque available at 0 rpm, you get lightning quick acceleration.
    I guess the other nice thing about the Volt is the cost per mile on electric is significantly less than the cost of the cheapest CNG car. My cost per mile using grid electricity is less than 3 cents. I hugged a couple of trees before chopping them down to clear the sky for my solar panels so now all my electric miles are renewable. I still have a CNG truck at my disposal in case I need it but I really like the electric car.
    Last edited by nttrainer; 11-28-2015, 10:13 AM.
    2004 Toyota Avalon bi-fuel
    2013 Tesla Model S 85

Certain plug-in hybrids have green stickers (not white) for HOV lane access in CA.
    Sold GX

Comment

Originally posted by GX-SV View Post
      Certain plug-in hybrids have green stickers (not white) for HOV lane access in CA.
      The volt with the low emissions package that I mentioned gets the green sticker in CA. Unless things change, the green and white stickers all expire in 2019. The low emissions package also extends the battery warranty from 8yr/100k miles to 10yr/150k miles. Haven't heard of any Volt owners who have taken advantage of the battery warranty for not having enough charge capacity (70%) at either 100k or 150k miles.
      2013 Tesla Model S 85

Comment

Note the Utah "C" decals have a finite number which seems to have been exceeded.
        http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=100g::::1:T,V:2280

Comment

Originally posted by John Mitton View Post
          Note the Utah "C" decals have a finite number which seems to have been exceeded.
          http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=100g::::1:T,V:2280
          They finished issuing the original allotment of 6000 stickers in Feb 2014 but continue to take applications. I've heard feedback that it's taking a month or two to get a permit. Dedicated CNG, qualifying plug-in hybrids and pure electric cars seem to all be treated the same - no preference given to fuel type.
          2013 Tesla Model S 85

Comment

Originally posted by nttrainer View Post
            The volt with the low emissions package that I mentioned gets the green sticker in CA. Unless things change, the green and white stickers all expire in 2019. .

Yes, as of now the green and white stickers expire in CA in 2019.

Still wondering if they will extend only the whites (being the cleaner vehicles), but that's still TBD obviously...
            Sold GX

Comment

Working...
            X