• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KIA FCEV, just saw this on the I-5 north in OC

http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/kia-sportage-fcev.htm
    the one I saw was green though

Re: KIA FCEV, just saw this on the I-5 north in OC

Did not see a price. If they have tanks that handle 5000 PSI for Hydrogen, why don't companies have 5000 PSI CNG tanks - should improve range. If they are putting in 5000 PSI hydrogen stations it should be any easy transfer to CNG. Could fuel up 3600 PSI when the higher pressure station is not available.

Comment

when you go above 3600 you dont gain a lot as it takes more gas to run the compressor or power if you are using elt. and it wears out the compressor faster it is just that hydrogen is such a piss poor energy carryer that you have to cram a lot in to get any range and it is much more of a energy carryer than a fuel as most of it is made by using another kind of energy to power the making of the hydrogen ie power to break it out of water

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
        when you go above 3600 you dont gain a lot as it takes more gas to run the compressor or power if you are using elt. and it wears out the compressor faster it is just that hydrogen is such a piss poor energy carryer that you have to cram a lot in to get any range and it is much more of a energy carryer than a fuel as most of it is made by using another kind of energy to power the making of the hydrogen ie power to break it out of water
        I'm not a big fan of Hydrogen fuel vehicles; high cost fuel cells, fuel is more volatile/less safe, and most hydrogen fuels use natural gas as a feedstock. Just an opinion based on what I know today.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_kan View Post
          I'm not a big fan of Hydrogen fuel vehicles; high cost fuel cells, fuel is more volatile/less safe, and most hydrogen fuels use natural gas as a feedstock. Just an opinion based on what I know today.

I have been informed that from gas well to wheel, it is still more efficient to convert cng to hydrogen and run it thru a fuel cell. I get 60 miles per gge combined in the Clarity. Most of the time, I fuel at a Shell station where H2 is made on site using "green" electricity. I also have the option of fueling where the H2 is made from sewage.

We still burn CNG in our GX's and our recently converted Isuzu NPR. Sure beats using foreign oil.

Comment

scott what kind of range do get ?

Comment

Has a 4 gge tank, so 230 to 240 miles. But, I drive it pretty hard. I love the acceleration. Could get better milage if I would lift the foot a little.

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
                I have been informed that from gas well to wheel, it is still more efficient to convert cng to hydrogen and run it thru a fuel cell. I get 60 miles per gge combined in the Clarity. Most of the time, I fuel at a Shell station where H2 is made on site using "green" electricity. I also have the option of fueling where the H2 is made from sewage.

We still burn CNG in our GX's and our recently converted Isuzu NPR. Sure beats using foreign oil.
                Sounds impressive - what are your costs? Vehicle purchase costs/type of vehicle, H2 per GGE?

Comment

It is the Honda Clarity and is available in limited numbers and only in specific areas (where H2 is readily available) You can see details on Honda's website. Available as a lease only, at $600.00 per month. There was a $5,000.00 incentive (not from Honda) for leasing.

Comment

I'm not so sure about the accuracy of that claim about Hydrogen thru a fuel-cell being so much more efficient than CNG into an internal combustion engine. Not just taking into account the energy spent to convert Natural Gas into Hydrogen, and then to store it safely, but also the high weight from the battery packs used to store the electric power generated on-board, which actually lead to decrease the mileage...

I also have my concerns about the safety issues regarding Hydrogen-powered vehicles...
                    http://engineeringworkarounds.blogsp...ant-dream.html

Comment

There is no large battery pack. There is a small one used while the fuel cell "ramps up". Regen helps keep it topped off.
                      When I get back to work next week I will try to post a picture of the instrument cluster with 65 mpg being displayed.

Comment

There is no large battery pack. There is a small one used while the fuel cell "ramps up". Regen helps keep it topped off.
                        Sure it's not nearly as large as a Nissan LEAF battery pack, but isn't the small one close in size to the Prius' battery pack??? The only FCEV without traction battery I've ever seen any reference was a Fiat prototype presented in 2005.

Comment

Working...
                        X