LNG fishing boat - my latest nut job idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LNG fishing boat - my latest nut job idea

Thinking of setting up a 20' offshore fishing boat with lng to a V-8 outdrive. LNG is about $2 per DGE (135,000 btu). sure beats $4.05 for premium auto gas.

Anyone with ideas about how to avoid fire/explosion from unseen leaks of cool LNG vapor ? Maybe run the bilge blowers at all times ?

Re: LNG fishing boat - my latest nut job idea

if it were me I would have gas detectors in all compartments below deck and a very loud horn hooked to them. and deck scoops to exchange the air and it could not hurt to run bilge blowers all the time but remember it is not built for cont duty so I would think you would have to buy a high end blower for it to live. do you have lng on the fuel dock or will you have to haul it?

Comment

No LNG at the docks, but at least 2 places in the LA/Long Beach twin harbors. I will prob. have to get the blessing of the fuel suppliers, as the stations are not self-serv. An attendant does all of the fueling at both places. Might need ground jumpers from the boat to the trailer during fueling. Plan have the boat on a trailer , have limited LNG capacity . Use the LNG first , then go to gasoline as backup. If it works out , i'm sure others will follow.

Going to have to find a fairly small LNG tank. Could take some time. Not going to retire until next year , so I plan to take my time with the project.

Comment

Someone else is thinking of the same but for a somewhat bigger boat.

Compressed natural gas for SS Badger?

New solution with less pollution could save boat

Updated: Thursday, 09 Jun 2011, 4:42 PM EDT
        Published : Thursday, 09 Jun 2011, 4:42 PM EDT

By Steve Kelso

LUDINGTON, Mich. (WOOD) - The owners of the SS Badger have been informed by the U.S. EPA that as of December 2012, the big ship will have to stop dumping ash from its coal-fired boilers into Lake Michigan.

Initially, the options being explored by the company that owns the 410-foot car ferry appeared to be very expensive and cumbersome.

The first of those was to continue burning coal and keep the ash on board during passage, and then unload and dump the ash into an approved landfill.

The problems presented by this option include lost time in the boarding process, and additional expenses in dumping fees.

The second option was to replace the existing boilers with modern diesel marine engines. They could cost as much as $16 million.

Now, the company is pouring all of its resources into what it calls its most viable option to date, compressed natural gas.

The idea was sent by Wayne Fox, a Ludington native who works for DTE.

"This would make us the greenest ship on the Great Lakes," SS Badger spokesperson Lynda Matson told 24 Hour News 8 on Thursday afternoon. "Compressed natural gas burns very cleanly and the cost is very similar to coal."

Company officials met with the EPA last week. The agency agrees that CNG is a viable option.

The changeover would require less investment than new engines, because the ship's current boilers would be retrofitted to burn CNG.

The boat's owners are in the process of investigating how storage and refueling would be handled.

The SS Badger is the last working coal-fired steamer in the United States. It could become the first ever to be retrofitted for CNG.

Comment

what a shame what a cool piece of yesteryear I wonder if they fire it by hand or if it has a stoker but than it is cool that they are trying to fire it with cng if they still fire it by hand the fireman will be out of a job.

Comment

That sound good to me. I've been on that boat with 43' of 5th wheel and pickup; took the 12:30 pm crossing. It was cheaper ($189.00) than driving around from Manatowic, Wisconson to south of Luddington MI.
            I hope they do it.

Larrycng

Comment

I hope they save the Badger---I live in the area and have taken passage on it several times. I think the problem is more political then environmental. There is a new competing ferry service in town (you get the picture). I doubt you could use CNG but LNG might be possible. It is 410 feet long and powered by a pair of 3500 hp uniflow steam engines. Built in 1953 for the C&O railroad as a (railroad) car ferry it was the last coal fired boat built for Great Lakes service. It's really a National treasure and if you are ever in the area (and this problem passes) you should give it a try.

Comment

how about burning old tires and the fuel savings would cover the disposal costs of the ash and could recycle the wire

Comment

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
                  Going to have to find a fairly small LNG tank. Could take some time. Not going to retire until next year , so I plan to take my time with the project.
                  The market for LNG conversions is heavy duty trucks so tanks are either 20" or 26" in diameter. One of the issues with LNG is heat gain so you would only have about 1 week between fills before the tank started venting.

I think LNG makes a lot more sense than CNG for a large ship like the SS Badger because of its high fuel consumption.

Comment

My plan is to only take on LNG to be used in 24 hours, and use gasoline as a backup.

Speaking with an engineer at so cal gas, he warned me about tank leaks in the vaccume space. Even a small leak makes the insulating properties almost useless.

For bigger boats, I came across this in ngv global. http://www.ngvglobal.com/incat-claim...peed-ship-1118 and this from the shipyard http://www.incat.com.au/domino/incat/incatweb.nsf/0/C4B4B38F404915ACCA2571A9001EC6D6?OpenDocument&hull ="069" . A little bigger than I can use, by about 280 feet............
                    Last edited by Lakewood90712; 06-14-2011, 01:54 PM. Reason: added links

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I have never seen LNG being used in boats, but once I saw a LPG conversion kit aimed to outboard motors, not to talk about workarounds done with home LPG bottles. But as far as natural gas goes, I have already considered to try it...

Comment

Inner tanks seldom leak to begin with I am yet to meet an engineer from SOCAL that knew very much about LNG. Phone Chart. Millions of cryogenic tanks bouncing down the road on the back of trucks have proven that point. Venting, lack of odorant, by the way even the odorant in CNC is not intended to be a primary safety item, saturation pressure and piping are just a few of your challenges. Rocking boat could present problems with the fuel going to your engine.
                          Do not play with it unless you have tons of knowledge.
                          There are easier ways to improve engine performance.

Comment

I was as Sun Trans in Phoenix several years ago, they were having problems with maintaining vacuum between the shells. The guys there said they always one or two being evacuated because they had lost the vacuum. Sunline had no problems unless one of the saddle tanks got dented, but they only had about 4 units (tractors with saddle tanks pulling passenger trailers)

Larrycng

Comment

Hi,
                              Old post I know..! I think it's important you don't get confused between LNG and LPG! LNG - Liquid Natural Gas is at -136 degrees Celsius, LPG is the term you are after - Liquid Petroleum Gas.
                              There is no way you would be able to a) purchase LNG
                              and
                              b) store it without a re-liquefication plant which would cost you many millions of dollars.
                              LPG is what you put in your cars and your gas bottles and storage tanks, NOT LNG..
                              Peace..

Comment

Working...
                              X